Log burner

10 hours ago, Chid said:

Most logs that are sold are around the 8” mark our longest ones would be around 11” so would fit this stove , they have to be short for the likes of inset stoves and pot belly stoves . 

If you supply marina,s the boatman stove that's the most popular  model, only takes 6" logs which can be a pain to cut in some ways but smaller diameter logs and a drop saw make a lot less mess than a chainsaw and is a lot quicker to fill your bag 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Basically, add wood to the fire and make note of when you have to leave the room/open the windows and doors/waft the smoke alarm. It's one less log than that.

It's a dog thing....

Totnes , Devon mate. Don't want any thing for it. Cheers Arry

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, scothunter said:

Had mine on from Friday it's been really cold up here.

There good but can be a pain in the arse with cleaning and the mess. No matter what I try the glass doors soot up. I use a Stanley blade to clean them

IMG_20180108_115305.jpg

If the glass is getting sooted up, it's because your running it to slow, I use one of those green plastic washing up pads to do the glass, and wipe down with a bit of tissue after,  we don't leave ours in all night, we relight the next day when we have the time to sit in front of it.

Bit of advice please.

We live in a bungalow and the living room is about 11 X 16ft, with an 8ft ceiling. A log burner would obviously keep the whole place warm, but what kilowatts would I need to let it burn hot, but still be bearable ?

The boatman is the smallest stove I have seen  and is about 4kw, it will heat a decent size Dutch barge which is a simular floor space to a reasonable bungalow I would imagine, I think about 6kw is for a normal size house, much bigger and it won't be running at an efficient tempature I would think

1 hour ago, Blackbriar said:

Bit of advice please.

We live in a bungalow and the living room is about 11 X 16ft, with an 8ft ceiling. A log burner would obviously keep the whole place warm, but what kilowatts would I need to let it burn hot, but still be bearable ?

Just remember any appliance over 5kw will need a air vent  

To achieve a relaxing room temperature of around 21ºC when the external air temperature is at freezing (0ºC) you will need approximately 1kW of heat output for every 14 cubic meters of space.

Measure the length, width and height of your room and multiply the three figures together.   your would be about 3-4 kw allowing for 3 external walls  .So 5k would be ample and no need for a vent 

This is a rough idea but depends on how many outside walls ,what room , insulated roof or ceiling  

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

Basically, add wood to the fire and make note of when you have to leave the room/open the windows and doors/waft the smoke alarm. It's one less log than that.

That's my brand of science ! :thumbs:

• Thanks 1