Bit of rough

9 hours ago, neil cooney said:

There's a few new comers on here and it seems they like an all round type terrier. MIK on here has a few old threads on just how versatile a working terrier really can be and have to be seen to be believed with one hunt nearly ending in tragedy, all caught live by MIK. Somebody should try and dig them up.

Me, personally, I don't believe that any terrier is better than a good Springer, BUT, when a job requires heart and bravery a terrier will always TRY to get it done.

Fair play to lads with all rounders, I just keep digging dogs but three or four times a year I will have a walk out with this fella and the shotgun. I couldn’t justify keeping a gun dog just for the very occasional day, shooting isn’t really my scene.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gilbey said:

is that SLT called Joe or similar?

Yes Gilbey slt, in bottom pic dog on right is joe,I got him from Paul hawks (RIP) terrier man for tyndale  Hunt, both terriers dead now.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Seen a few pics of Russel x fox terriers that were worked in oz,looked handy dogs.

I remember when I was a kid fox hunters used mini fox terriers to flush foxes,only tiny dogs,but these were not expected or wanted to stay below ground.You never heard of russells,never mind patterdales.I used to hunt a lot of different stuff with  a pack of Aussie terriers,now sadly ruined by show breeding,they were decent allrounders but never digging dogs.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Str said:

Yes Gilbey slt, in bottom pic dog on right is joe,I got him from Paul hawks (RIP) terrier man for tyndale  Hunt, both terriers dead now.

was reading about him a good while back, found some old articles whilst looking for something, seem useful little dogs

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, 5 feet down said:

I used to go stopping with paul when I was a youngen always had a cracking day, he was a right character, and later I used to go out with him and his son when they had a few hounds too.

I had a few days out with Paul, that tyndale Hunt had loads of land,did he tell you story’s of pet foxes out hunting rabbits with dogs, he said he had video of it, wonder if video still around.

Yes Neil this dog is a handy little animal and as good a digging dog there is anyone would have him in their kennels ....out of DCs Jim .....I noticed when he was a pup he was a natural retriever and alway carried something in his mouth a trait from his sire I was told .

I like to have all my dogs to as good a level as I can get them training wise and he was very easy to train but as a pup but I didn’t get on with him as he was sulky and unsociable but once he started working and he had a purpose he changed pretty much over night ....

As Neil says I nearly lost him last season while he was out wildfowling and I dropped a pink foot that landed on a very fast dropping tide ....long story short he eventually got it but it was too much for him and he went under ....jacket off waders off md I swam out and eventually got him ....and he was dead ....managed to get back to shore and eventually me and my mate gave him mouth to mouth and he came back to life .....I had been videoing the retrieve on my phone and it kept recording when I put it in my pocket and swam out to him ...the whole ordeal was around 30 mins and the dog was dead forr about 6 mins .

I remember everyone saying you are mad to ha e swam out for the dog you could of drowned ....it was November and a big dropping tide but I never gave it a second thought and I can guarantee most of yous would do the same ...this wee dog gives it’s all I’m not going to watch him drown.

Had my doubts about how he would recover being dead for so long ...rested him for a few months ....then hounds put a fox to ground and I thought this is the time to see if it’s affected him .....you know your terrier and knew straight away there was nothing at home ...but the hounds said yes ....then you start doubting your dog another dog was tried and it confirmed a false mark .

It doesn’t seem to have effected him at all and he has continued to ha e some very hard dos in some deep spots it’s amazing how bomb proof these dogs are 

dont use him much for wildfowling anymore I wouldn’t put him through that but as a I do my rounds around the estate he is the dog that’s with me most of the time 

A lot of lads will have a handy little tyke in their digging dogs it’s just giving them that opportunity.

9129BAE8-6DA6-4C51-8566-22A71EA7D5E7.jpeg

0A6BE713-53BD-4972-A4A7-7A3708E106FA.jpeg

• Like 12