Bit of rough

10 hours ago, Terry Ermann said:

Took the the red dog out for a bit of rough shooting around home, put up two cock birds and a Woodcock I missed the fezzies and I wouldn’t shoot a Woodcock even if I could. Good bit of fun for him regardless of my empty bag ???

A560ED1B-4037-4BDE-8FAE-4ED49FDA2EC8.thumb.jpeg.27e3e7b8ff4d3f7f11156c894736c97b.jpegF8B0E948-5CBC-46CC-9DA9-D3453EC59C5F.thumb.jpeg.da465cdce1dd066b02bc9ce8d24793cc.jpeg

Must be uncomfortable hunting with your willy out. It looks red and raw.????

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One I use for rough shooting,13 years old in pic and put many a spaniel to shame,wouldn’t pass a bird or rabbit,dosnt retrieve, but if she does her job putting them out, I don’t mind picking them up

Edited by smasher
  • Like 3

If we just kept terriers here for digging in Australia,they'd barely exist.I use mine for anything from scaring birds off the veg patch to driving pigs from blackberries and everything in between.Probably why russells are way more popular than black terriers here.

• Like 2
On 07/01/2018 at 09:22, Str said:

There can’t be many breeds as versatile as a working terrier,a good terrier can do several jobs and sometimes a lot better than those bred to do said job, for bushing, ratting, ferreting, working on beating line, and earth work a terrier is hard to beat. 

There's a few new comers on here and it seems they like an all round type terrier. MIK on here has a few old threads on just how versatile a working terrier really can be and have to be seen to be believed with one hunt nearly ending in tragedy, all caught live by MIK. Somebody should try and dig them up.

Me, personally, I don't believe that any terrier is better than a good Springer, BUT, when a job requires heart and bravery a terrier will always TRY to get it done.

• Like 1

Neil I agree a good spaniel takes some beating (I've got a cocker) but we're talking all round duties,few pics of my dogs of the past,the bottom pic is for you to show they could work fox as well, it was the white dog on the left that worked that one, the pic of the coloured dog retrieving fox had just bolted that and I shot it.when I had these dogs I had 6000 acre to go at but I was lucky if I worked a dozen foxes ayear to ground so squirrels rabbits rats I think are the best way to keep a dog busy,fit and there minds occupied.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 9
19 hours ago, smasher said:

One I use for rough shooting,13 years old in pic and put many a spaniel to shame,would pass a bird or rabbit,dosnt retrieve, but if she does her job putting them out, I don’t mind picking them up?

I used 2 russells for bushing they were great and retrieved but looked like the game was put through a mincer lol.  cracking versatile little dogs, always up for a hunt or fishing day

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Str said:

Neil I agree a good spaniel takes some beating (I've got a cocker) but we're talking all round duties,few pics of my dogs of the past,the bottom pic is for you to show they could work fox as well, it was the white dog on the left that worked that one, the pic of the coloured dog retrieving fox had just bolted that and I shot it.when I had these dogs I had 6000 acre to go at but I was lucky if I worked a dozen foxes ayear to ground so squirrels rabbits rats I think are the best way to keep a dog busy,fit and there minds occupied.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

is that SLT called Joe or similar?

22 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

If we just kept terriers here for digging in Australia,they'd barely exist.I use mine for anything from scaring birds off the veg patch to driving pigs from blackberries and everything in between.Probably why russells are way more popular than black terriers here.

Seen a few pics of Russel x fox terriers that were worked in oz,looked handy dogs.