Roger Upton Falconer

Lutra Lutra

On 07/01/2018 at 00:53, Lutra Lutra said:

Hello to all the Falconry guys on the Hunting life forum. Sometime a go I heard the unfortunate news regarding the sad death of the great Falconer (Roger Upton) and I was somewhat saddened to hear of the unfortunate death of such a giant in the Falconry world. I can say from  a very early  time    when both my brother and myself, age only 15 and flying Sparrow hawks, that even then i'd heard of this great and stupendously,knowledgable Falconer. It seems to me that we have lost so many greats in the field sports world. 

However, it is with great satisfaction and pride that we've had the chance to meet so many of the great characters within so many types of field sports. And I remember with great fondness and somewhat lucid thoughts when David, a great school friend and myself stood for a considerable time with the also great Hungarian Falconer (Lorant de Bastyai) of which he gave us a lesson of how many sub-species there were related to the Peregrine. "This was at a time when the whole situation regarding field sports was even then so different.

I agree with many members regarding so-called legends. Many of the so called ones i've met have been a major disappointment and it was so embarrassing to eventually realise how little they knew, especially concerning the quarry subject. As many members will know, to be really good, one has to study the quarry of which they intend to pursue.

My main interest has always been the     Fox, Badger and Otter, however, when I was a youngster I had a unhealthy obsession with Rats! And in my opinion to be good at anything one has to put the hours in to the study of the species.

Just back to the subject of Roger Upton's death. If anyone could supply anymore information please, that would of course be warmly received. We also lost another great Falconer who was one of the best Falconer's this country has ever seen, namely Stephen Frank and a great gentleman. However, there's so many people you want to meet but sometimes life doesn't allow one to do so for certain obvious reasons. Just with the same situation of losing very good Terrier men, Huntsmen and even certain great masters within the hunting world, one also sees great Falconer's pass by.

I hope everyone is enjoying the early days of (2018) and to many of the great guys and the ladies who I have had the privilege to call friends I wish everyone a Happy New Year.

Also enclosed a photo of myself with the great guy David Bradley (Casper) of the wonderful film Kes.         Sincere regards, Lutra Lutra.                                                                                      

24799531_1928883527429847_1169064019360201631_o.jpg.c19e7be5d4ce48d973bb07b7ffdbddee.jpg

Hello Bell I haven't forgot about the (Nightjars). If you still want to go this breeding season just drop me a short message of words please? Also hello to you Phil, hoping you are ok. I have mentioned before about our conversations with you with Bert Gripton. Drop me a message sometime please?

Hi Lutra Lutra,..good to see you awarding such respect to Roger:yes:

I spoke to him a few times, at Hare Coursing meetings,..he told me of his various sporting passions,... I always remember thinking, 'what an exciting life this man must lead'!

Go carefully now,..all the best, Phil.:thumbs:

4 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

I spoke to him a few times, at Hare Coursing meetings,..he told me of his various sporting passions,... I always remember thinking, 'what an exciting life this man must lead'!

Thanks Phil, take care.

On 08/01/2018 at 17:45, Phil Lloyd said:

On 08/01/2018 at 21:50, Lutra Lutra said:

Thanks Phil, take care.

Yes, but Phil, haven't you lead  a somewhat of an exciting life?

18 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Well, I've been about a bit I suppose,...but it's mostly been, a Comedy of Errors...:laugh:

There are still some good guys within the game and there  are many good lads that still exist within the game". However, some of the lads, from the former years have still many a memory of which is so hard to find within some of the younger type today. "Like i've always said, I just look at a person's dogs and the way they react to their owner of which is the finest indicator that  will alway  exist between man and dog. Phil, I don't know if we actually read any letters of correspondence between you and Bert, I seem to think either David or myself may have done so. "We are talking perhaps nearly 30 years or more years ago now.

I have kept several letters of correspondence, from various well-known faces within the hunting fraternity,..sadly, most of these unique characters are dead. 

However, unless their contents were beneficial to modern research or of historical importance, I would be loath to share private words with strangers. 

Amongst us humble rabbiters, there has always been the maxim,.."What happens on the Warren, stays on the warren"...if ya get my drift...

There are exceptions of course...:thumbs:

• Like 1