I've been playing around with a few different pellets in my rifle thanks to my Son in Law who shoots in Field Target competitions and let me try a few of his favourite brands.

We finally settled on a pellet that suited  my rifle so well that even a four-eyed old gentleman like myself  found himself knocking out the odd passable group.

Then out of interest we tried a bit of Napier Pellet Lube and the groups went to pot.

Has anyone else tried the stuff and what were the results?

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

Edited by comanche
forgot pictures

I use webley accupell ft they have a thin coat of the stuff on says on the tin and you can see and feel some lubes there,

I shoot them straight from the tin and  these pellets group by far the best in my rifle so it can't always be bad

not saying it helps just maybe one of them each rifle to there own type thing

Edited by johonawhitness

I personally don't loob, never have done, I just go in dry and hope for the best. 

As long as my guns shooting well, and on the money, it's all good.

Never clean my barrel either to be honest.

:) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, johonawhitness said:

I use webley accupell ft they have a thin coat of the stuff on says on the tin and you can see and feel some lubes there,

I shoot them straight from the tin and  these pellets group by far the best in my rifle so it can't always be bad

not saying it helps just maybe one of them each rifle to there own type thing

I've always liked Accupell ( I didn't realise know they came pre-lubed)but they won't fit in my new rifle.

The HW97k I used to own worked well with both Accupell and   cheap old soft Milbros

I've used WD40 quite happily as a lube by coating a cloth with it and then, rolling a batch of .22 H&N FTTs prior to shooting with my HW80 .22 and HW77 .22 rifles. Had fantastic accuracy and they don't diesel in the breech if you coat your ammo this way. You don't get oil in the skirt that causes it. So far so good.8)

HOWEVER. I have tried lubing .22 JSB Jumbo Heavies 18.83g pellets for my .22 Pro Sport and these pellets do not like lubing with anything one bit. Accurate as you can be when they are washed clean of dust and bits, dried and put to work on the zeroing range. Absolute scattered nightmare with every pellet lube method I know, that works with any other pellet. JSB Heavies do not like lubing in my experience of trying them.

Or, perhaps it's just my Pro Sport's barrel that doesn't like lubed ammo sent down it. I really don't know. But I don't lube its ammo. Ever!:fool:

You try, you find out by testing. You go by the results that present themselves to you.:thumbs:

• Like 2

I think this is one of those 'If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't' things :pardon:

Out of curiosity, a couple of years ago I tried NPP on some JSB Heavies in a .177 HW100.

It made the accuracy worse.

But, some time later, I ended up with a .22 BSA Superten.

Lubing pellets for this improved accuracy and made cycling the action a lot smoother.

Now, I'll try it if there's an issue, otherwise I don't bother.

7 hours ago, pianoman said:

I've used WD40 quite happily as a lube by coating a cloth with it and then, rolling a batch of .22 H&N FTTs prior to shooting with my HW80 .22 and HW77 .22 rifles. Had fantastic accuracy and they don't diesel in the breech if you coat your ammo this way. You don't get oil in the skirt that causes it. So far so good.8)

HOWEVER. I have tried lubing .22 JSB Jumbo Heavies 18.83g pellets for my .22 Pro Sport and these pellets do not like lubing with anything one bit. Accurate as you can be when they are washed clean of dust and bits, dried and put to work on the zeroing range. Absolute scattered nightmare with every pellet lube method I know, that works with any other pellet. JSB Heavies do not like lubing in my experience of trying them.

Or, perhaps it's just my Pro Sport's barrel that doesn't like lubed ammo sent down it. I really don't know. But I don't lube its ammo. Ever!:fool:

You try, you find out by testing. You go by the results that present themselves to you.:thumbs:

Thanks for that pianoman.  I suppose I was wondering if pellet lube was a  hyped accessory or really worthwhile.

Typical of me my introduction to it was with JSB Jumbo Heavies; a pellet that clearly hates lube!

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1

I have a little pot of this stuff festering away somewhere. Just like that unwanted bottle of cheap red wine you receive. 

It must be a 2000/2001 vintage. 

Got it for free to test and never thought much to it. 

40 minutes ago, moxy said:

I have a little pot of this stuff festering away somewhere. Just like that unwanted bottle of cheap red wine you receive. 

It must be a 2000/2001 vintage. 

Got it for free to test and never thought much to it. 

Drink it moxy... you’ll be able to jizz 50yrd:) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2