Can’t make it out

On ‎5‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 07:21, socks said:

I've seen decent working dogs that have been moved out of the kennel into the house and by the next season they were a bag of shit ... and the only thing that changed was they were treated like pets and not workers ......

Mine sleep at the end of the bed lol. heard of this from Trev that good dogs start to pick there runs and just cold quit, never had a starter that was good ,quit, sounds like a prey drive issue ???? treating them soft may soften the dog, but kill its drive surely not ?? 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

living in doesn't stop thousands of years of instinct, "some" feel the cold more but they've generally got crap coats anyway, think you get a better bond imo

Ffs you would think if the dog had it in it surely bringing in the house isn't going to stop.it doing what it loves need to stop bringing my dogs in and no pat them ???

Bred a litter of terriers years ago when I was starting out and my mother fell for a little bitch pup, it was taken into the house at six weeks old and that's where it stayed, anyway a few years later

11 hours ago, Sirblessed said:

Mine sleep at the end of the bed lol. heard of this from Trev that good dogs start to pick there runs and just cold quit, never had a starter that was good ,quit, sounds like a prey drive issue ???? treating them soft may soften the dog, but kill its drive surely not ?? 

Bred a litter of terriers years ago when I was starting out and my mother fell for a little bitch pup, it was taken into the house at six weeks old and that's where it stayed, anyway a few years later 4 to be exact on a Sunday morning we found ourselves without a terrier for one reason are another, what about your ma's dog says a mate lol told her we were only going rabbiting so of we go with pepper, first hole we tryed her in we dug her at 4 foot  with a good dog fox in front of her, dug her a few times after that until she lost half her nose and that was end of the hunting for her, some fecking rabbits your hunting said my Ma. So pepper wasn't to be taken RABBITING again lol.A bit long winded but it makes no difference if their in or out. If theyve got it they've got it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 4 January 2018 at 20:18, green lurchers said:

same with horses  mate  horse breaks two track records at 3/4 wins 4 straight group 1,s cost half a mill as a yearling themn looses 3 on the spin at odds of 1/20 1/5 evens it happens to the best bred 

Same with greyhounds gl some can fly there first couple of races and do brilliant times and then start running half hearted just running with the crowd but not wanting to get in front. It's a hard watch when you know they have the ability but not the mentality.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Same with greyhounds gl some can fly there first couple of races and do brilliant times and then start running half hearted just running with the crowd but not wanting to get in front. It's a hard watch when you know they have the ability but not the mentality.

Even worse to watch when you got that pulls up on its first or second time out but kills the next 3 or 4 times well as i have seen with me own two eyes. Good way of putting it got the ability but no mentality.

Edited by C.green
  • Like 1
On 5 January 2018 at 10:08, trigger2 said:

it could be a injury some where or the dog just plain and simply doesnt want it. but imo its strange for a dog to change that much without a reason. youth and enthusiasum can make a dog look like its got something more than it actually has but theres no telling whats going on in there head. 

The dog i am running now chucked the towel in just before his 3rd birthday. he would go down the beam to a rabbit if he missed it out the squatt he would pull straight of it, then others he would half heartedly chase for a small distance then stop. his behavior changed a little at home aswell. i checked him over couldnt see anything wrong. i rested through the summer he started off well the following season then after a few outings went back to pulling up and some times even refusing to run. then one night i watched him run a rabbit in some rape and as he went to pick it up he yelped and started limping. turns out his front due claws were giving problems, had them removed hes 7 on the 25th of feb and hasnt looked back since. 

if his dewclaws were playing up for that long you would notice, its a big bone like you thumb and they swell, you say theres no telling whats in the dogs head,il tell you how to find out,pick a 3 mile run with a few hills, run it against the clock every day for a month then that way you will get some idea

On 06/01/2018 at 09:23, Sirblessed said:

Some dogs will work and kill themselves for you, not for themselves. mainly a bitch

I can agree with that, my sheepdog bitchs will always put that extra effort in where as the dogs, at times can have a bit more self preservation. 

I think a dog in its first season is usually show a lot of promise as everything is new and their youthful exuberance can give false readings ,judging when to lay off is the hard bit when they are doing well and wanting more.

Some dogs just don't have the same ire and settle in to there (from then on) groove . Maybe just settling down . 

But as said every time a dog goes out, they can perform differently , they are flesh and bone with their own mind. Then I suppose some stick their middle toe up and say f**k this,this ain't for me.