Can’t make it out

It's a strange one Marshman and surely one that nobody really knows the answer to.

This little tale has reminded me of something my original 'mentor' once said to me. I had a first season terrier that really started well, he was going great and I ended up going on invites with lads to big old earths with a reputation about them, such was my belief in the young dog, and he always got the result. Anyway I remember being out one day digging and we were talking about an earth that goes to 12/13 foot deep, and this 'older lad' said I'd be able to dig it with my young dog, I said he must be joking, and he said young dogs that start so well are so full of confidence that they put in that extra effort and excel at work and it mellows as they get older?? It totally baffled me(and still does) but sounds similar to your cousin's dog?

• Like 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

living in doesn't stop thousands of years of instinct, "some" feel the cold more but they've generally got crap coats anyway, think you get a better bond imo

Ffs you would think if the dog had it in it surely bringing in the house isn't going to stop.it doing what it loves need to stop bringing my dogs in and no pat them ???

Bred a litter of terriers years ago when I was starting out and my mother fell for a little bitch pup, it was taken into the house at six weeks old and that's where it stayed, anyway a few years later

2 hours ago, CRAZYHORSE said:

They loose form for about 16 weeks if they  are not jabbed, so if you’re bitch comes in season twice a year it’s a nightmare 

Never had any problems working my bitches through their seasons ....

• Like 1
11 hours ago, socks said:

I've seen decent working dogs that have been moved out of the kennel into the house and by the next season they were a bag of shit ... and the only thing that changed was they were treated like pets and not workers ......

Ffs you would think if the dog had it in it surely bringing in the house isn't going to stop.it doing what it loves need to stop bringing my dogs in and no pat them ???

• Like 5
1 hour ago, nothernlite said:

I wasn't generalising as obviously many hundereds of dogs live In doors and work perfectly well ... I was giving an example of one dog ......

14 hours ago, marshman said:

Alright lads this always leaves me scratching me head have you ever had this happen ? 

Long story short was having a chat with me cousin he’s got a lovely coursing bitch Romeo x something I can’t mind now . Anyway 1st year she’s doing everything you’d expect of her . Proper cracking bitch she is looks a picture as well and you can’t ask for more of her . Anyway summer comes and he said your thinking she’ll be a better bitch bit more strength bit more experience next season.

Then the second season comes around and she doesn’t progress how she should in fact she got worse !

I should add there’s no injury’s to this bitch she’s tret like a princess . She’s checked and I’d even say molly coddled. 

Untill this week she through the towel in and jacks . A proper jack as well I don’t mean can see it’s quarry going to a hedge and decides it’s to close and stops . I mean stops dead with plenty of room and comes back faster than it was going out . And that’s it downs tools and won’t graft no more !

Now ive seen this happen with terriers as well, brilliant first season then second season seems to be worse  . how comes they seem better in the 1st year of work and the second season seem to get worse and even regress !  you’d be happy if they remained the same . Anyway always leaves me wondering Sorry for the long post lads lol thought ? 

it could be a injury some where or the dog just plain and simply doesnt want it. but imo its strange for a dog to change that much without a reason. youth and enthusiasum can make a dog look like its got something more than it actually has but theres no telling whats going on in there head. 

The dog i am running now chucked the towel in just before his 3rd birthday. he would go down the beam to a rabbit if he missed it out the squatt he would pull straight of it, then others he would half heartedly chase for a small distance then stop. his behavior changed a little at home aswell. i checked him over couldnt see anything wrong. i rested through the summer he started off well the following season then after a few outings went back to pulling up and some times even refusing to run. then one night i watched him run a rabbit in some rape and as he went to pick it up he yelped and started limping. turns out his front due claws were giving problems, had them removed hes 7 on the 25th of feb and hasnt looked back since. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, marshman said:

Expierenced dog man not a greenhorn bitch was brought on right not over worked ?

Could be a couple of reasons as some of the lads have suggested.

Might also be the fact that some dogs, like one I used to own, prefer running particular quarry and not others. Mine would barely try to catch rabbits, even though he could've done so easily, but would try his guts out at hares and would literally pull my shoulder out of it's socket if a deer was on the cards.

Some dogs work out pretty quickly what they prefer to run, and/or what they percieve to be more worthwhile for them to run, and perhaps this bitch has decided that hares, if it's a predominantly coursing bitch, are not what she prefers. or considers too much hard work.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Could be a couple of reasons as some of the lads have suggested.

Might also be the fact that some dogs, like one I used to own, prefer running particular quarry and not others. Mine would barely try to catch rabbits, even though he could've done so easily, but would try his guts out at hares and would literally pull my shoulder out of it's socket if a deer was on the cards.

Some dogs work out pretty quickly what they prefer to run, and/or what they percieve to be more worthwhile for them to run, and perhaps this bitch has decided that hares, if it's a predominantly coursing bitch, are not what she prefers. or considers too much hard work.

I think in my opinion she prefers stubble or spring hares to January hares ?

• Like 1