Time for retirement they don't last forever

Went out other night first field we come to the old girl oover fence up to a her favourite quarry an the chace began bitch done her usual trick an got hedge side of it turned it twice the rabbitwas under pressure the takes off straight towards me down the fence line in to full stride she goes the rabbit make a suddenturn an goes under the fence the bitch hits  the fence post an stops dead in her tracks screaming laid on the floor in switched lamp off put one foot on bottom of fence the bitch is stood looking at me I went over lifted her back over checked her over nothing obviously damaged took her home as she was stiff checked on her next morning the bitch couldn't walk properly and had her head lent to one side I gave her the full once over an check everything the bitch never made a sound or gave any signs of pain until I touched her neck I gave pain killers and massaged her neck for 20 mins an the bitch seemed to be feeling more at ease. I repeated this massage again an today the bitch came out of her pen bouncing about.  she is about 8 years old now and iam taking it upon myself to retire the bitch she's been a hell of a bitch an surprised me on more then one occasion been brilliant with the family and around the kids nothing special this bitch just a honest lurcher happy retirement.   STAR 

20161214_115225.jpg

• Like 13

If you have a boar collar whack that on her tight for a few days. Give her some support. You can also use cardboard just wrap it round and tape it. Let her rest and give a pop of metacam. She'll be well pissed off but neck injuries can be a real b*****d. I'd also take her for an x-ray ;)

Hope all goes well, Shroom.

• Like 3

The pic are from last season she probably does have another season in her don't want to push my luck. I'll be looking for another lamping dog in the not to near future something to fill them boots of hers she probs come out day time now she's put more then her fare share away it's been a good 8 years steady bitch very loyal honest thing wouldn't mind another like her 

Edited by Stud dog
Spelling erro
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, mushroom said:

If you have a boar collar whack that on her tight for a few days. Give her some support. You can also use cardboard just wrap it round and tape it. Let her rest and give a pop of metacam. She'll be well pissed off but neck injuries can be a real b*****d. I'd also take her for an x-ray ;)

Hope all goes well, Shroom.

Plant pot cut the bottom out slide over  head bit vet wrap n tape .perfect neck brace for dog...also stops them getting at stitches/staples 

Its always hard replacing a old faithful even harder sometimes admitting there best days are gone sometimes its hard finding such a replacement I'm in your shoes this old bitch is on light duties but my ask is a lot less than it was so hopefully a lot less expectation this time round will find me a suitable replacement 

Edited by blackmaggie

Cheers lads don't think she needs a neck brace  i probably have abit of a soft spot for her as she was my first dog back in the game after a very long time out so she probs make a few days time trips now an then but rest of time she'll be getting spoilt of missus and kids an taking all room up on sofa 

• Like 1

I know how it feels to retire a dog before its time. I have a whippet here who kept getting a virus wich gives him respiratory problems. He's seven and a great worker, and I will miss him next to me working Warren's and running the beam. He wines when I grab my hunting kit and breaks my heart to leave him behind. But to take him would be foolish and cruel, my lad as worked six seasons and gave his all like your dog as done, they earn the right to spend the rest of there days by the fire and getting spoilt by family. It's easy for folk to say there's still a season left in him but only you know mate. You have done the right thing in my opinion. I'd get x-ray done to put mind at rest. Atb Jerry 

• Thanks 1