Colin Didriksen

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There seems to be an obsession with slagging off plummer. The man is dead and gone leave him be. His son is still about and reads this tripe....do either of them deserve it really. Ernest hemmingway w

I've met and been out with  a few different lads that contribute to various books and magazines regarding dog work.Some of them a very well known for their writing and pretty much all of them bend the

That's the thing Stiffmeister, if you were just guessing or falsely quoting the man you could be completely wrong but he was the one himself who showed himself to be a massive hypocrite . I start

Posted Images

3 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

A collection of Corbett sits nicely on my own bookshelf alongside chuck Adams’s life at full draw and      Super slam tomes. 

Plummer eh? 

I always believe that plummers works of fiction showed a sneering  contempt for his fellow hunters and that they allowed his flights of fancy to be unchecked 

in Lepus, the main protagonist is a school teacher named Brennan whose first cross collie greyhound is a master of all disciplines.....

i wonder who that he is based on? 

In trog , the lurcherman is scum the diggers are shown as dullards, the patterdale is psychotic, the fell bitch as of an old revered line, the jack Russel superior to both due to its South Wales ancestry, again a master naturalist features prominately from his midlands cottage oasis . 

In reality, the best work if fiction he produced were his captions for his training book “ Canaan about to receive advanced schooling techniques” was one the dog training one . Merle was clap trap from start to finish. 

Although a better researched book on sight hound origins and quarry history as shown in the complete book of sight hounds longdogs and lurchers is hard to find . Fair play. 

Additionally a certain Aussie ex pat kept edrd going at one point with his great articles , always the first I read in the monthly ration 

No think you got to hand it to plummer he saw a market and went for it a lot of youngsters started  out hunting after reading his books ?.

• Like 5

In the foreword of Eddie Chapman's books My Hunting Life Credit is given to Darcey  so he must still be doing a bit behind the scenes  ? so maybe theres still more to come from him ?.

Plummer can go f**k himself in my eyes 

imho he was a charlatan who took money for writing things he knew f**k all about! 

staged photographs in his books , justified shite , pumped up a puppy dealer , ran down and was expert witness against terrier men , and when he typically offered himself as chairman of the nwtc was told to go jump off a cliff. 

I’m always amazed some of the lads taken in by him when in reality the likes of darcy , Sarah Moffat and harcombe showed his true colours in edrd , 

sure lloyldy may have a tale about the “vampire” dog if he can be bothered 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jeffries enjoy a great deal. Bill Dohertys book a bird in the hand my all time favourite. P lloyd books class. Didriksens books ok. Harold Wymans 2 classics. Enjoyed the p dooley books.

• Like 1

Letts face it though love him or loath him Plummer did have an impact with his book writing and I confess to having a good few of his books including a first edition of rouges and running dogs wich imho was a book that most lurcher lads back in the day had on their shelfs though in all honesty non of his lurcher books came close to the number 1 classic lurcher book of all time imho lurchers and longdogs by the late Ted Walsh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 1/2/2018 at 00:03, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I always liked the realism national treasure Ranulph fiennes brought to his book “the sett” .....????

agreed darcy And Lloydy top notch lads lads writers , never really clicked with Didrikson as I thought he was too easily taken in by people he didn’t know too well......

paul Dooley’s was always a good read but for me, as a Work of fiction harcombes “every mans hand” takes some beating 

I believe some of the terriermen are based on real people in that book.

• Like 1

Plummer was the first books i read.  I found them witty and kinda informative.  Was the reason i first got ferrets and got interested in hunting. Although was always into nature etc,

Paved the way for me. Obviously from then met other hunters and went beating got my shotgun certificate and it went from there. 

Wasn't till after i realised plummer was a bit of a fantasist but wont knock him as most writers embellish there work. Years later i had the pleasure of meeting plummer a few times and he even wrote to me and still have the letter somewhere. 

Earl st john the producer of the ealing comedies read a book of his about shooting.  He shot two golden eagles after climbing a mountain in the highlands.  Was another good book. Sadly no longer have it and the title i have since forgot.  

• Like 3
On 02/01/2018 at 11:15, mackem said:

Selous,capstick and Corbett were a different breed of hunter and author :thumbs:

My favourite read is death in the long grass by Capstick. Although I was air rifling before I read it Rat hunting man was what really started me off in fieldsports so fantasist or not I feel I owe the man for that. Having said that the last one of his I read was Cottage at the edge of the world and it's dire.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, stumfelter said:

My favourite read is death in the long grass by Capstick. Although I was air rifling before I read it Rat hunting man was what really started me off in fieldsports so fantasist or not I feel I owe the man for that. Having said that the last one of his I read was Cottage at the edge of the world and it's dire.

I never bothered reading cottage at the end of the world as the title was crap,my cousin has a place up west of there bettyhills just past thurso,I really don't know why he based himself so far from a city with his health problems,does anyone know why he left Caithness and once again headed south?