Colin Didriksen

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There seems to be an obsession with slagging off plummer. The man is dead and gone leave him be. His son is still about and reads this tripe....do either of them deserve it really. Ernest hemmingway w

I've met and been out with  a few different lads that contribute to various books and magazines regarding dog work.Some of them a very well known for their writing and pretty much all of them bend the

That's the thing Stiffmeister, if you were just guessing or falsely quoting the man you could be completely wrong but he was the one himself who showed himself to be a massive hypocrite . I start

Posted Images

1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Was a jacker and ended up in the bin ....not totally sure but think jb of east anglia has something to do with it ....

hes fond of saying all this open challenge stuff, and how his dogs were considered to be the best scene. 

I know for a fact a certain northern “lurcher afficianado “ wrote to him or received a letter from him expressing a challenge

he never got a reply??!!!

Sometimes phraseology just stays with you don’t it? 

That's the thing Stiffmeister, if you were just guessing or falsely quoting the man you could be completely wrong but he was the one himself who showed himself to be a massive hypocrite .

I started collecting his books when I was 13 or 14 and always noticed that he mentioned that dogs suffer when chopped and changed from yard to yard (something I agree 100% with and to this day still wont let my dogs be passed around) but the book "Diary of a Hunter" frequently mentioned him loaning dogs left ,right and center. Some things stick in your mind and maybe he did influence my future in dogs, but by being a hypocrite, LOL.

By the time I was in my early 20s I had all his books and sold them for a pretty penny to a man not far from me who owned a pub and also worked his terriers in fantasy land, so the books went to a good home, LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

The OP asked about Colin Didriksen ?

I have a couple of his books and IMO they're highly entertaining and some might read them and say they're far fetched but truth be known when you've been around the things he has all your life you too will have experienced and met the characters and episodes that he has. Especially 20 years ago or more. Colin knows how to tell a tale but if they were 99% true I wouldn't be one bit surprised as I could relate to several stories in his books.

If only he never mentioned those bloody Teckles.

• Like 1

In the old sporting dog magazine I used to read his articles religiously , stag carter was another I stuck with 

I’ll never forget my moment of realising the charlatan nature of the man. I was half way through the complete book Of sighthounds longdogs And lurchers and realised there was yet again another Hancock mention. 

There was also a pic of a fox being chased by three dogs on the lamp , even then I knew that was wrong. 

That was my last book, Like you I had them all, including some of his rare ones , I weighed them all into coch y bunddu books at lowther game fair a few years later and that was it. 

I kept the fell terrier book though as I enjoyed the format and had met a couple of the lads mentioned in it. 

Shame how it panned out. Think he took a few lads in early doors who got wise to him in the end . 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, mackem said:

There was hares not far from him,we caught quite a few.

yep, think Canaan was bred at Hancock's (his greyhound was) he had it as a pup then gave it to someone else to run, seems he just put his name on the projects

• Like 1

Agreed! 

A tome I always think that should be emulated prior to it being too late ! Maybe in darcys Head when he started his terrierwork series! 

Maybe some of the names omitted saw through him a bit  ? 

I always liked hunters all as a kid , lively covers on most of his older books as well 

• Like 1

haven't read fell terrier, there was a few of his books at home, the others I read came off a mobile library, don't know how many I got through can't of been many, mind telling the nice fella I didn't want to read any more Plummer books

• Like 1
On 1/2/2018 at 11:15, mackem said:

Selous,capstick and Corbett were a different breed of hunter and author :thumbs:

There was an article about Selous  in the Shooting Times back in the 60s , once at his Birmingham Gun makers he was asked to review  a Rigby Double barrelled  Elephant  gun , in a hurry to leave he fired it through an open window at a distant Chimney pot  then wrote a quick review  which said  . A splendid weapon  for making a large hole in the Fuzzey Wuzzeys at three hundred yards.  

I think Rider Haggards  Alan Quartermain  was based on him.

Edited by micky
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, micky said:

he was asked to review  a Rigby Double barrelled  Elephant  gun , in a hurry to leave he fired it through an open window at a distant Chimney pot  then wrote a quick review  which said  . A splendid weapon  for making a large hole in the Fuzzey Wuzzeys at three hundred yards.  

Classic

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 03/01/2018 at 19:08, mackem said:

I never bothered reading cottage at the end of the world as the title was crap,my cousin has a place up west of there bettyhills just past thurso,I really don't know why he based himself so far from a city with his health problems,does anyone know why he left Caithness and once again headed south?

Because he was hounded out of the county by the procurator fiscal for gross cruelty to dogs. 

• Like 1