Colin Didriksen

I got the Colin Didriksen Earth Dog Running Dog book for xmas too complete the set  of 5 after country mischief books  i really rate  these books hes done a bit and there easy reading  . As i was trying to google it   i can on the top 50  hunters books i think he would rate highly in the list ?. 

Who would be your top three sporting authors ?.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There seems to be an obsession with slagging off plummer. The man is dead and gone leave him be. His son is still about and reads this tripe....do either of them deserve it really. Ernest hemmingway w

I've met and been out with  a few different lads that contribute to various books and magazines regarding dog work.Some of them a very well known for their writing and pretty much all of them bend the

That's the thing Stiffmeister, if you were just guessing or falsely quoting the man you could be completely wrong but he was the one himself who showed himself to be a massive hypocrite . I start

Posted Images

I've read a few of his books....there definitely enjoyable. 

Top 3 authors......

Books like their writers can be enjoyable for many different reasons....someone like Richard Jeffries from long ago was a phenomenal writer but his writing is at times very heavy plough...but he drops you right into it, you can almost smell the air he's walking in....but a couple of chapters at a time for me is plenty.

There are many authors of sporting works over the years, probably too many to list...and there are many genuine classics, many, many good books and even recent years has saw some really top class and ground breaking tombes come off the press....which in time will become classics alongside others...

Top 3 authors would be like top 3 lurchers, someone would keep a dog someone else would not....

For me there are many, both old and new authors I enjoy for many different reasons...I don't take any as being good or bad just all different...one though has stood out for me in terms of actual writing, very clever writing, almost quick easy flowing and very very enjoyable and easy to read and a real real shame he did not release more, a top class writer is Phil Lloyd. 

• Like 3

I always liked the realism national treasure Ranulph fiennes brought to his book “the sett” .....????

agreed darcy And Lloydy top notch lads lads writers , never really clicked with Didrikson as I thought he was too easily taken in by people he didn’t know too well......

paul Dooley’s was always a good read but for me, as a Work of fiction harcombes “every mans hand” takes some beating 

• Like 2

Not read a book on these subjects for years Doherty's a bird in the hand was the last I must have over 150 books in my collection and the only one's I pick up now and again to read are the books by authors like Corbett and other big game hunting imho I think books are nowere near as popular these days sadley due to the internet.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, mackem said:

Selous,capstick and Corbett were a different breed of hunter and author :thumbs:

the mighty nimrod the life of Frederick courteney selous African hunter and adventurer  by stephen taylor

• Like 2

One book I cant remember the author but he was travelling by train in kenya with some porters and a tracker,saw some elephants on the side of the line,stopped the train,disembarked the train continued on its journey and collected him and the ivory on its return journey,imagine stopping network rail because theres a few bunnies on the side of the track and you want to whack them with your HW80 :D different times.

• Thanks 1

A collection of Corbett sits nicely on my own bookshelf alongside chuck Adams’s life at full draw and      Super slam tomes. 

Plummer eh? 

I always believe that plummers works of fiction showed a sneering  contempt for his fellow hunters and that they allowed his flights of fancy to be unchecked 

in Lepus, the main protagonist is a school teacher named Brennan whose first cross collie greyhound is a master of all disciplines.....

i wonder who that he is based on? 

In trog , the lurcherman is scum the diggers are shown as dullards, the patterdale is psychotic, the fell bitch as of an old revered line, the jack Russel superior to both due to its South Wales ancestry, again a master naturalist features prominately from his midlands cottage oasis . 

In reality, the best work if fiction he produced were his captions for his training book “ Canaan about to receive advanced schooling techniques” was one the dog training one . Merle was clap trap from start to finish. 

Although a better researched book on sight hound origins and quarry history as shown in the complete book of sight hounds longdogs and lurchers is hard to find . Fair play. 

Additionally a certain Aussie ex pat kept edrd going at one point with his great articles , always the first I read in the monthly ration 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1