Who bred the first ever bull grey????

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lord Orford 1700's.......lol mind bull lurchers being mentioned in old books I read as a kid, written long before 80's

People who are interested in hunting and it's history, that's who. Folk who take up hunting for two weeks before moving onto something else tend to not have any pride in it's history and traditio

A bloke called Whin in Scotland bred the first of every type of Lurcher 

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, cantona said:

A friend of mine borrowed my pit of me me to use on his greyhound about 86, he did it because his father in law took him out with his and he wanted the same, they all used to 

Loook a lot more racy then 

That's probably because most of the Bulldogs used to create them were properly bred back then.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, downsouth said:

That's probably because most of the Bulldogs used to create them were properly bred back then.

And not big fat massive type crosses.lol ..there was an Asian kid in Birmingham years ago selling “ big massive pits”  turns out they consisted mainly of staff and dog de Bordeaux....

When we was one night with the same lads a mate came , a well known man and one still wouldn't throw his name in to this day who got publicised. And he was some character. Anyway he got yapping and was going to cross the two types of dog in question. Anyway no one went ahead with it even though be sort of needed 

11 minutes ago, downsouth said:

fair point , most racing whippets  have bull blood in them from years back ive been down the track whiteheath , cannock , wolves ,  30-32lb  males that deff had that look of bulldog in them, this was 1980. we had staffs that were similar to  apbt  of today, our dogs went from 15in - 19in 40-54lb , bull blood was deff x back in to running dogs , its nothing new , and the pit x greys back in 80s were not massive like some of today, more of a racey appearance .! 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, ands said:

I'm sure a P Mgrah (dublin)was breeding and selling bull xs to England late 80's

Paul seen my first cross bitch out of the litter I mentioned that was bred in 90 and told me to name my price. I didn't sell. 

Paul had a massive reputation but a modest chap.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, neil cooney said:

There you go. Czarina I think her name was was a prominent brood who was a fighting dog cross and Fullerton was from her and is in the blood of every greyhound alive to this day. The question should be "when did the bull cross become popular ?".

Ted Walsh has photos of Staff cross lurchers in his famous book from the 70s. However, a friend of mine bred a litter in 90 and out of 9 pups he put down 3 because everyone thought he was mad and the pups were not wanted. Two of the litter went to a lad who killed over 90 foxes with them in their first season and then everyone wanted them.. So IMO the bull cross lurcher has only been popular here in Ireland since the early 90s.

JMHO.

I think yas right about that when they become popular written history tells us that the czarina was around one thirty second bull the settlers in America  also took pit dogs with them from Ireland and England these became    American           pits in turn they arrived back home many a century or two later. Same animals like has the Irish pit staff just different lines the fecking Comanches weren't breeding them that's fa sure lol, they the first running type pit xes in the whippets were around in the thirties I know this because family members now long gone tell me they used them on greys and back in to whips to produce whippets da rag racing up the strings.the modern pit greys the first I knew of belonged to gs he got a reserve at the then midland in the very early seventies ,he was bred in Staffordshire by a gamekeeper running the gay ton estate he come fa I think ten fifteen quid twenty five inch strong races type mustard brindle hell of a typey animal fa the xs could kill daytime long ears and good stamina fa a Lurcher of that time.,I'll still say it now the type been around fa many yrs lots longer than one realises .the also pocket rocket bull whippets were also around a lot longer than some think they been in the valleys lots longer than some folk realise.that I also know  .atb bunnys

• Like 3

Walsh, in his Poachers Companion book, which is a collection of poaching tales he has found in history, recounts on from the 18 hundreds (i think!), where a mastiff cross was being used (they needed size an speed, must have been bunny bashing!!!)

As has been stated, they have been used almost forever BUT with reference to the bull blood from the 'US of A', I also think they were crossed with greyhounds almost as soon as they hit 'ol Blighty's shores.

Though it would be a few years till real dogmen realised just what they could get from the cross and chose 'certain' stock to breed both tenacity and size.

It was then that the game changed for many. With a change in capability, both the quarry and hunting changed to suit and it was/is (with the right blood) changed forever... For right or wrong, nothing would be the same again....