Rabbits with HMR

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a word of warning with all this modern technology you can soon shoot out your permission, I tend (unless told other wise) to look at managing numbers rather than a total wipe out to a point were

There will come a time very soon when this technology is pennies and everyone with an FAC has all of their rifles equiped with it. The difference with this is that the animal doesn't even know it's be

I've seen it happen. These are great bits of kit and make life very easy but I do fear too many sport hunters are/will use these simply to get more. Then they need more permission and do the same agai

Posted Images

Villaman, yes its a very handy unit for different rifles and magnification ranges.

For rabbit control at the backend of the season, I find the thermal rifle scopes deadly, so quick to get on target and drop multiple rabbits, plus you get the ones in hedges and woodland, were NV can't cut it...

One of the reasons I didn't get a slot for .17HMR on my ticket was because most people 'in the know' told me that they blow rabbits apart, fine to culling but no good if you want to eat them. In the photo above Ian, there doesn't appear to be so much damage so are these taken at long range or have I got my info wrong.

Phil

I shot HMR for a few years now took plenty of rabbits at all ranges,poly tip ammo generally stops expanding around 150 mark because of volatility drop,usually the damage is not as some would say all mine have been edible the odd one you might have to discard a portion off the rabbit,the expansion that found on rabbit was usually around size of a golf ball,IE: taking hart lungs out or part or most off skull,stick to head/shoulder shots and they should be fine to eat.  

3 hours ago, goldfinger said:

I went the thermal route about 12 mths +  ago, a totally new world opened up for me,never looked back very expensive but worth it.

I went the thermal rout about early November, be glad when spring comes!

U:p

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, IanB said:

Villaman, yes its a very handy unit for different rifles and magnification ranges.

For rabbit control at the backend of the season, I find the thermal rifle scopes deadly, so quick to get on target and drop multiple rabbits, plus you get the ones in hedges and woodland, were NV can't cut it...

Since my shooting buddy got his ATN a couple of months back he's p***ing all over me with my Archer.

There's no doubt they are very effective but my covert N/V is as much of an edge as I want at the moment. Maybe I'll change my mind down the line if they come back in numbers.

Just a word of warning with all this modern technology you can soon shoot out your permission, I tend (unless told other wise) to look at managing numbers rather than a total wipe out to a point were they find it difficult to recover, this way the population can still give you an enjoyable day/night shooting with a few in freezer and keep Mr farmer happy as well.   

• Like 7
35 minutes ago, goldfinger said:

Just a word of warning with all this modern technology you can soon shoot out your permission, I tend (unless told other wise) to look at managing numbers rather than a total wipe out to a point were they find it difficult to recover, this way the population can still give you an enjoyable day/night shooting with a few in freezer and keep Mr farmer happy as well.   

I've seen it happen. These are great bits of kit and make life very easy but I do fear too many sport hunters are/will use these simply to get more. Then they need more permission and do the same again. I suppose the same was said when lamping was invented... you really can steralise ground with this new technology though, it's not progress.

• Like 4