Bert Gripton.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At long last thankfully someone has put up this old footage of one of the best so enjoy and a very Happy Christmas to all of you and your families.  yours in sport, Neil.

As is all too often the case, opinions are frequently trotted out on these forums as if they were fact. And whilst I’ve no desire to “pee on anyone’s parade”, or to speak ill of the dead, it’s importa

Dilly Thanks for posting that old photo..... it was taken at the end of a day's otterhunting with the B.C.O.H. on our annual trip to Pembroke and Carmarthen where we'd all take a week's holiday t

Posted Images

Anyone I met who knew Bert said he never really had what could be called his own line.

The terrier type known nowadays as the white terriers from Cork carries the blood of Bert Gripton Jack Russells sent over to Ireland.

The one thing that's always fascinated me about him (and I've spoke to many who knew and hunted with him.) was that he made his reputation as a great terrierman by being a terrierman. Not by how great his terriers were or how many he sold or where in the world he sent them or what shows he won or judged , but, by being a man who could bolt or dig a lot foxes, badgers and otters using his terriers. I've also heard bad about the man from honest lads too but his reputation was got by being at the coal face and that's not the way it seems to be nowadays where lads seem to get their names out there from the amount of litters they churn out for big money.

They're not terriermen, they're puppy peddlers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Themole said:

Anyone have anything off his line or is it all gone  by now ....

I think it's been asked before and if the was any of his dogs left in any Russell's it would be about 5 % maybe.  Other than that I was told same, may have been a great terrierman and everything else but when it came to breeding terriers, I don't think he was a great breeder in fact.  And for all the ones who got name from selling dogs , well fk you , if anyone was on the same side but probably the same page 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, neil cooney said:

Anyone I met who knew Bert said he never really had what could be called his own line.

The terrier type known nowadays as the white terriers from Cork carries the blood of Bert Gripton Jack Russells sent over to Ireland.

The one thing that's always fascinated me about him (and I've spoke to many who knew and hunted with him.) was that he made his reputation as a great terrierman by being a terrierman. Not by how great his terriers were or how many he sold or where in the world he sent them or what shows he won or judged , but, by being a man who could bolt or dig a lot foxes, badgers and otters using his terriers. I've also heard bad about the man from honest lads too but his reputation was got by being at the coal face and that's not the way it seems to be nowadays where lads seem to get their names out there from the amount of litters they churn out for big money.

They're not terriermen, they're puppy peddlers.

Only one Bert gripton terrier was ever bred into those dogs Neil...a bitch named Meg in '62..

• Like 4

I think that many terries that cost a pretty penny.. sent.across the water and sold to people who should of known better...waited  too late for the official stamp. Played a bad hand. Gripton's dog's are in their blood but they cannot be honest about it. The show shite. But it is in there.

The real Jack Russell that he had? Do they still exist? Well there are still terriers of a white colour working that may be of his blood... but why would it matter? Where did Bert Gripton get his terriers from?

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

I think that many terries that cost a pretty penny.. sent.across the water and sold to people who should of known better...waited  too late for the official stamp. Played a bad hand. Gripton's dog's are in their blood but they cannot be honest about it. The show shite. But it is in there.

The real Jack Russell that he had? Do they still exist? Well there are still terriers of a white colour working that may be of his blood... but why would it matter? Where did Bert Gripton get his terriers from?

I blame the family. They have been filling me glass up with Jameson's for the last 4 days. No doubt in the hope that I will fall asleep and shut the f##k up.  Happy "holidays".

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Bert was a gentleman, my father had a terrier of him and a whippet pup. My father said Bert was a top terrier man and what he didn't no wasn't worth knowing he also had a whippet x terrier that would fly to ground on fox and brock and never got punished.. I would have loved to have met him, Phil d was a good honest man who kept some good dogs and he was never anti hunting . he loved working dogs.bert Gripton,  Phil drabble were like Eddie Chapman, George newcome, plummer and many more we have lost. They were great field men and respected by all that was lucky  anufe to know them. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 5 feet down said:

Them terriers are everything I hate about white dogs nothing like what I class as a working Russell, snipey little bow legged things

Yes they may be bow legged but they worked and worked hard to fox, brock and who cares if they ain't showy as long as they do there job. A good terrier is one that does the job it was bred for. 

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Jerry71 said:

Bert was a gentleman, my father had a terrier of him and a whippet pup. My father said Bert was a top terrier man and what he didn't no wasn't worth knowing he also had a whippet x terrier that would fly to ground on fox and brock and never got punished.. I would have loved to have met him, Phil d was a good honest man who kept some good dogs and he was never anti hunting . he loved working dogs.bert Gripton,  Phil drabble were like Eddie Chapman, George newcome, plummer and many more we have lost. They were great field men and respected by all that was lucky  anufe to know them. 

Unlike yourself, I am privileged to have met ALL the names mentioned,...and I would have to agree that Chapman, Newcombe (and most definitely)  Bert Gripton, knew the score as regards working dogs....as for Plummer,.well,...in all honesty,...I could not say the same...:censored:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1