Bert Gripton.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At long last thankfully someone has put up this old footage of one of the best so enjoy and a very Happy Christmas to all of you and your families.  yours in sport, Neil.

As is all too often the case, opinions are frequently trotted out on these forums as if they were fact. And whilst I’ve no desire to “pee on anyone’s parade”, or to speak ill of the dead, it’s importa

Dilly Thanks for posting that old photo..... it was taken at the end of a day's otterhunting with the B.C.O.H. on our annual trip to Pembroke and Carmarthen where we'd all take a week's holiday t

Posted Images

14 hours ago, neil cooney said:

Phil Drabble was never an anti. He championed the working dog and the working dogman. Quiet rightly he had no time for the scumbags who destroyed it for all of us.

In fact, he was a bit of a visionary.

sorry neil,but i was led to believe, read it somewhere and heard it said that phil had turned against us using our terriers and lurchers,i do know that he turned heavily into a conservanationist,which is no bad thing the way the world is going,and had done alot of work to conserve thewildlife and the country,tell me neil  apart from writing a couple of books and appearing on one man and his dog for years,what did he do to champion the working dogman and working dog,know he kept agood strain of  alsation in later years,hopefully no offence taken if i am wrong,just proves dont believe what you see,read and hear as gospel.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, grompz said:

sorry neil,but i was led to believe, read it somewhere and heard it said that phil had turned against us using our terriers and lurchers,i do know that he turned heavily into a conservanationist,which is no bad thing the way the world is going,and had done alot of work to conserve thewildlife and the country,tell me neil  apart from writing a couple of books and appearing on one man and his dog for years,what did he do to champion the working dogman and working dog,know he kept agood strain of  alsation in later years,hopefully no offence taken if i am wrong,just proves dont believe what you see,read and hear as gospel.

No need for apologies. At the end of the day conservation and all forms of hunting go hand in hand. Phil Drabble through his books showed us that by hunting we can also be the guardians of those animal we pursue. He always wrote plenty on the country characters who were adept at catching their quarry because they had studied their quarry. Men like Phil Drabble and Bert Gripton would turn in their graves if they seen the so called hunters who use gadgets to kill a lot of animals. They'd shake their heads in dis-believe if they seen the likes of night vision and electric fox callers. Rightly so. The skill is going from the hunting game. Phil Drabble also made programs like that one on Mr Gripton which brought the art of terrierwork to the broader public. Kinda like what Glyn is after doing by putting them and others onto YouTube (thanks Glyn) which shows the public that terriermen are not sadistic scumbags who want to show dead quarry in one hand and wounded terriers in the other but themselves wouldn't know a fox earth from a foxglove. 

Like I said, Phil Drabble was a champion of the PROPER working dog man.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
50 minutes ago, Lozzer said:

Wasn't it true , that drable turned against gripton and terrier work? 

Read above Lozzer.

Drabble thought he was doing the hunting world good by disclaiming certain terrier work, that was being sensationalised by the media at that time.

At that time old 'real' countrymen belived in two things, that there was a bad element in the hunting world AND that once sorted out, hunting, as they knew it, would last forever...

Please remember this was a very different world back then, sadly on the precipice of changing forever.... I believe he simply didn't realise the magnitude of his actions. He was from a different world and a different time....

In my opinion Phil Drabble done far more good than he ever done bad...

He made a decision based on what he was being fed and there was little choice back then. I very much doubt (knowing what i know) that Drabble would ever intentionally hurt the hunting folk and the sport he loved....

24 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Read above Lozzer.

Drabble thought he was doing the hunting world good by disclaiming certain terrier work, that was being sensationanalised by the media at that time.

At that time old 'real' countrymen belived in two things, that there was a bad element in the hunting world AND that once sorted out, hunting, as they knew it, would last forever...

Please remember this was a very different world back then, sadly on the precipice of changing forever.... I believe he simply didn't realise the magnitude of his actions. He was from a different world and a different time....

In my opinion Phil Drabble done far more good than he ever done bad...

He made a decision based on what he was being fed and there was little choice back then. I very much doubt (knowing what i know) that Drabble would ever intentionally hurt the hunting folk and the sport he loved....

Fair enough. It was a remark I was told once by a lad who followed all that stuff in them days and had probably heard some statement of something and came to that conclusion and after the book in which he was a part of 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, neil cooney said:

No need for apologies. At the end of the day conservation and all forms of hunting go hand in hand. Phil Drabble through his books showed us that by hunting we can also be the guardians of those animal we pursue. He always wrote plenty on the country characters who were adept at catching their quarry because they had studied their quarry. Men like Phil Drabble and Bert Gripton would turn in their graves if they seen the so called hunters who use gadgets to kill a lot of animals. They'd shake their heads in dis-believe if they seen the likes of night vision and electric fox callers. Rightly so. The skill is going from the hunting game. Phil Drabble also made programs like that one on Mr Gripton which brought the art of terrierwork to the broader public. Kinda like what Glyn is after doing by putting them and others onto YouTube (thanks Glyn) which shows the public that terriermen are not sadistic scumbags who want to show dead quarry in one hand and wounded terriers in the other but themselves wouldn't know a fox earth from a foxglove. 

Like I said, Phil Drabble was a champion of the PROPER working dog man.

Ask someone who lives in his local area, he wasn't a friend of the poacher, terrier man or anything else unless it paid his bills, myths and legends Neil.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, dillydog said:

Ask someone who lives in his local area, he wasn't a friend of the poacher, terrier man or anything else unless it paid his bills, myths and legends Neil.

thankyou dilly dog, that statement has jogged my memory, knew i had heard tell of this before by the older terriermen,it was agood few years ago mind.