7 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

The Victor Break Back is a superb killer of rats, and the modified Victor,.. is even better. 

Cheap as chips, easily set,... and lethal...:thumbs:

Yes, I have done a few of these modified Victor's after seeing it done,

Here

Excellent little trap with a nice strong spring when modified, put a small piece of perspex to lift the spring up on the one's i did, and another little bit 

screwed on top to stop the springs moving, done some chinbar's with metal rod and some out of wood, also done the tunnel with mesh on some and others

with thin plastic folded over to make a tunnel.

The one in pic has no tunnel just a little cubby that slides over the trap.

SINDASOX

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

• Like 5

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well lads thought i would try an old school trap.....probably the oldest one in the book.....and blow me it got results faster than the modern traps. Made up this dead-fall trap last-night checked thi

traps are the wrong way round   and i doubt  that rat was not caught in it

Few signs of rats around the garden compost.....in past years have put out poison but gets expensive and don't like the thought of what else may get a hold of the poison. So after looking on here boug

Posted Images

Well lads thought i would try an old school trap.....probably the oldest one in the book.....and blow me it got results faster than the modern traps. Made up this dead-fall trap last-night checked this-morning and the peanut butter was licked off the bait stick, so wrapped a bit of wire mesh around the end and packed in more peanut butter so it would take a bit of tugging to get it out.......checked just now and success!

P1070854.JPG

P1070855.JPG

P1070856.JPG

P1070859.JPG

• Like 10

Hi all what percentage of rats  you catch are adult rats.

I catch dozens every year both internal and external of properties in traps but virtually everyone a young rat possibly up to 3/4 grown max.

This being just a reflection of how neophobic or educated adult rats are.

We have a contract where there is a compactor so cannot totally deny access to food source and I have caught literally dozens at this location with nothing bigger than half grown with traps in bait stations.

Does anyone have any improved catch rate of adults and how are you achieving this.

In roof spaces I have tried placing traps all over to try and improve adult catch rate but nothing seems to improve catch rate.

Edited by budgie123
  • 2 months later...
On 24/12/2017 at 11:10, Phil Lloyd said:

The Victor Break Back is a superb killer of rats, and the modified Victor,.. is even better. 

Cheap as chips, easily set,... and lethal...:thumbs:

Got myself a couple of victors after reading this and they are great, no comparison to the alternatives I was using that were often sprung but empty, both victors killed clean as they were exactly where they were set. Great little trap. Sound advise Phil..

• Like 1
On 1/5/2018 at 22:24, budgie123 said:

Hi all what percentage of rats  you catch are adult rats.

I catch dozens every year both internal and external of properties in traps but virtually everyone a young rat possibly up to 3/4 grown max.

This being just a reflection of how neophobic or educated adult rats are.

We have a contract where there is a compactor so cannot totally deny access to food source and I have caught literally dozens at this location with nothing bigger than half grown with traps in bait stations.

Does anyone have any improved catch rate of adults and how are you achieving this.

In roof spaces I have tried placing traps all over to try and improve adult catch rate but nothing seems to improve catch rate.

You have answered it yourself. The young rats get caught before the more neophobic older rats have got used to the traps. And they breed so quickly that there seems always to be a supply of the younger ones. You could try to put the traps as close to the burrows as possible, and whilst this will probably increase the neophobic response short term, might just land you an adult in the long run.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
On 02/12/2018 at 21:17, GruffaloGriff said:

I re-configured the box this year to take the traps sideways and put holes in the other end of the box as advised. They do indeed work much better that way and getting clean kills.

P1090410.JPG

P1090409.JPG

Quite innovative staggering the partition like that to make it fit two traps. That restriction guides Rattus right on the trap pan too. I'll file that one in the memory bank somewhere for future. :good:

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Quite innovative staggering the partition like that to make it fit two traps. That restriction guides Rattus right on the trap pan too. I'll file that one in the memory bank somewhere for future. :good:

i thought the same. great idea but sadly i think i wouldnt have thought of it. would probably have kicked the box and started again

• Haha 1