Hello, I have been offered some Mallards. Price to be decided.

I currently have 15 Muscovies, 4 Indian Runners and a male Chinese Goose.

Will the Mallards fit in?  I believe they can be quite aggressive.

I will put them in my quarantine run for a week or so first.

Apparently they were bred for an organised shoot but won't fly (clever ducks) despite not being clipped.

Thank you.

27 minutes ago, micky said:

I looked at the market guide yesterday [Melton]  and shot Mallards made £13  to £8  a brace , Teal made  £4  a  brace.

is that dressed micky? the butchers/game dealers are buying in at between £1.50 and £2 a brace round here in the feather.

13 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

is that dressed micky? the butchers/game dealers are buying in at between £1.50 and £2 a brace round here in the feather.

No , they are sold in the feather,  last week some Rabbits made £11.50 a couple this week they made £5.50/ 8.50 . Pheasants  were 50 pence a brace  after Xmas they will make  5 pence a brace  and a lot will remain unsold.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, micky said:

No , they are sold in the feather,  last week some Rabbits made £11.50 a couple this week they made £5.50/ 8.50 . Pheasants  were 50 pence a brace  after Xmas they will make  5 pence a brace  and a lot will remain unsold.

wow thats good money, theres a nice few quid to be had there during the run upto xmas by the sounds of that.

5 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

wow thats good money, theres a nice few quid to be had there during the run upto xmas by the sounds of that.

It was a good price  but remember, it is an Auction and prices  are set by supply and  demand  you can easily become unstuck . 

i no longer sell any thing there because i have learnt the HARD WAY.

8 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

• Like 1
23 hours ago, PeskyWabbits said:

Hello, I have been offered some Mallards. Price to be decided.

I currently have 15 Muscovies, 4 Indian Runners and a male Chinese Goose.

Will the Mallards fit in?  I believe they can be quite aggressive.

I will put them in my quarantine run for a week or so first.

Apparently they were bred for an organised shoot but won't fly (clever ducks) despite not being clipped.

Thank you.

What would you want them for, which purpose?

Aye what good are they ?. unless you keep them fenced in there going to fly some time  no good for eggs  unless your planning on eating them or raising young for selling next year but the parents arent good fliers  :laugh:

Well, like the others, it was supposed to be eggs and meat.

But the Muscovies are to busy sh*gging for eggs. Poor girls get no rest.  

And because it is such a palaver, I haven't eaten as many as I'd intended.

I started with 3 Muscovy ducks and a drake. Got up to 24. Started thinning them out, then with all the pork in the freezer, couldn't really be mithered.

The Indian Runners and the goose are rescue items. Boys of course. Know one ever says 'I've got this girl duck that I need to get rid off'.

Anyhow. I recently acquired a large boiler that runs off a gas bottle. So when we get a dry weekend, I am going to reduce my male Muscovy collection and use the boiler to help get the feathers out.

The Mallards would be a nice variation. And handy with them being local.

On 23/12/2017 at 14:32, PeskyWabbits said:

Well, like the others, it was supposed to be eggs and meat.

But the Muscovies are to busy sh*gging for eggs. Poor girls get no rest.  

And because it is such a palaver, I haven't eaten as many as I'd intended.

I started with 3 Muscovy ducks and a drake. Got up to 24. Started thinning them out, then with all the pork in the freezer, couldn't really be mithered.

The Indian Runners and the goose are rescue items. Boys of course. Know one ever says 'I've got this girl duck that I need to get rid off'.

Anyhow. I recently acquired a large boiler that runs off a gas bottle. So when we get a dry weekend, I am going to reduce my male Muscovy collection and use the boiler to help get the feathers out.

The Mallards would be a nice variation. And handy with them being local.

I just cannot see them being beneficial egg layers in comparison to typical egg laying breed