Deerhound / Greyhound

On 25/12/2017 at 00:08, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I’d say saluki adds or puts more to a lurcher than any other breed of dog , but hey

feet, gears, wind, pace, coursing sense, attitude, 

probanly the most perfect all round pure bred dog for the job  

Would choose whippet over saluki in a dog 

• Like 2

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3/4 x. From Dave platt and joe Woolley   13 months old.  Keeps going wae he is will make a cracking dog no fear strong as hell 

The old lad very much retired no fuks given about the beast from the east   

Deerhound x greyhound and some other stuff in the mix.. mainly used him for lamping... done what i asked of him .. would have this X again in the future

Posted Images

Why would you choose the whippet over any dog greyhound or saluki I think you mean is it just the ground you work or do you think it’s more biddable than the other two breeds to add to a base for a Lurcher atb Flacko 

13 hours ago, nothernlite said:

Take off speed you won't beat a whippet

You would struggle to find one that stops, turns, and explodes as good as one as well. they have their flaws, but if you have ever owned a good. sound one, you know their worth, I cross all mine with deerhound/ grey/ 3/4 whippet these days, but I would own another pure whippet in a heartbeat. 

• Like 2

Below are a couple of snippets from the other day.

Take notice of the ground they are running on, I’m at this game 2-4 days a week (depending on the weather) around various stock and farm dogs, what I love about what the deerhound brings  is its soundness, and stamina, whilst still retaining a biddable nature with minimal sacrificing of the main required attributes of a running dog.

This little bitch has just had her hair clipped so looks like a whippet, normally carries a lot more hair, she is ¾ whippet  1/8 Grey  1/8 DH - 22 TTS ,2 year old, running since a pup, and yet to have an injury that’s kept her out for more than a few days. I have owned a few of this breed over the years and they may not be world beaters but are very, sound, handy, reliable animals, I.M.O underutilised

• Like 5