Deerhound / Greyhound

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3/4 x. From Dave platt and joe Woolley   13 months old.  Keeps going wae he is will make a cracking dog no fear strong as hell 

The old lad very much retired no fuks given about the beast from the east   

Deerhound x greyhound and some other stuff in the mix.. mainly used him for lamping... done what i asked of him .. would have this X again in the future

Posted Images

I always think of deerhound blooded lurchers as “nice to see” rather than a workman’s Like lurcher . 

To get the best of it, I’ve seen anyway , it’s best to blend with something else 

my mates dad swore by saluki grey into his deerhound crosses 

they always threw themselves as a a stag hound type , something you rarely see in a pure deer hound hybrid 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I always think of deerhound blooded lurchers as “nice to see” rather than a workman’s Like lurcher . 

To get the best of it, I’ve seen anyway , it’s best to blend with something else 

my mates dad swore by saluki grey into his deerhound crosses 

they always threw themselves as a a stag hound type , something you rarely see in a pure deer hound hybrid 

Why do you think they just look nice.?

What can any other x do that a deerhound x can't. ?

I think they can do a multitude of jobs and all quarry.

• Like 1

I worked deerhound crosses but adding saluki based blood just gave them that little bit extra but also adding the right deerhound blood to the saluki types and breeding tight gave us a better animal that really tries and you can give some stick 

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

Why do you think they just look nice.?

What can any other x do that a deerhound x can't. ?

I think they can do a multitude of jobs and all quarry.

Catch hares as the norm rather than the exception 

ferret to a decent standard rather than as an exhibition 

run 30 40 rabbits a night 3 x a week 

mature faster 

be a proven fox dog rather than “he might, he’s not in the mood” type 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Catch hares as the norm rather than the exception 

ferret to a decent standard rather than as an exhibition 

run 30 40 rabbits a night 3 x a week 

mature faster 

be a proven fox dog rather than “he might, he’s not in the mood” type 

You could argue that only saluki xs it's normal to catch hares but there shit at most other things.

Ferreting you have a point but that's nets are for but they can mark as good as any and catch some bolters and a very general help.

Again catching 120 rabbits a week is probably beyond them although a did get 37 between 2 deerhound xs 1 night.not to bad I thought?

That slow to mature is bullshit.

My last one was an absolute killer of foxes and members on here who keep bull xs can testify.prheaps they need more carefully entering.

I'm not trying to say all deerhound xs but in my opinion there are some excellent one's out there. 

All xs have faults.

• Like 3

Agreed on your points mate and I only ever speak from experience 

my cousin had a deerhound x that was probably the worst tempered dog in the world , it was also a shithouse of the highest calibre 

31 ins of coward ,

would arse grab foxes doubled up ,  

wouldn’t look at anything until it was nearly two years old , 

attacked other dogs and was predictably killed by a bull cross and a lab in a kennel fight . 

After him I saw a very well bred sal grey x bull grey who made the whole spectrum of quarry look easy day and night. Very much the epitome of an old west stag hound

I would say that a well bred collie type would do most of the jobs I had a dig at comfortably . 

Although id disagree over the maturity,  a deerhound x is nowhere near physically mature to run at 12 months  old . 

1 minute ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Agreed on your points mate and I only ever speak from experience 

my cousin had a deerhound x that was probably the worst tempered dog in the world , it was also a shithouse of the highest calibre 

31 ins of coward ,

would arse grab foxes doubled up ,  

wouldn’t look at anything until it was nearly two years old , 

attacked other dogs and was predictably killed by a bull cross and a lab in a kennel fight . 

After him I saw a very well bred sal grey x bull grey who made the whole spectrum of quarry look easy day and night. Very much the epitome of an old west stag hound

I would say that a well bred collie type would do most of the jobs I had a dig at comfortably . 

Although id disagree over the maturity,  a deerhound x is nowhere near physically mature to run at 12 months  old . 

Funny because I have a sal bull grey from good breeding and she the 2nd worse dog I've seen won't touch teeth not even a Rat not even a rabbit if she's not in the mood.she's a weird thing.

1 minute ago, ginger beard said:

Funny because I have a sal bull grey from good breeding and she the 2nd worse dog I've seen won't touch teeth not even a Rat not even a rabbit if she's not in the mood.she's a weird thing.

I couldn’t be wasting my time with that . 

Not being a dick here but maybe your personality allows you to click more with the deerhound blooded types then? 

• Like 2