Deerhound / Greyhound

Hi folks,

I will be getting a Deerhound / Greyhound pup in a couple of weeks, just interested if anyone on here has worked with them before and what do you think?. I had a pure Deerhound up until 18 months ago but sadly lost him at 4yrs of age due to  heart complications that are often seen in purebred Deerhounds,  I have seen this Deerhound/Greyhound line and it seems to be a well tried and tested line but, interested in any comments that will help ie, training etc. Hopefully he will complement my two working whippets and my beddy whippet in the field.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3/4 x. From Dave platt and joe Woolley   13 months old.  Keeps going wae he is will make a cracking dog no fear strong as hell 

The old lad very much retired no fuks given about the beast from the east   

My 3/4 x 

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Blackmissiles said:

Hi folks,

I will be getting a Deerhound / Greyhound pup in a couple of weeks, just interested if anyone on here has worked with them before and what do you think?. I had a pure Deerhound up until 18 months ago but sadly lost him at 4yrs of age due to  heart complications that are often seen in purebred Deerhounds,  I have seen this Deerhound/Greyhound line and it seems to be a well tried and tested line but, interested in any comments that will help ie, training etc. Hopefully he will complement my two working whippets and my beddy whippet in the field.

Is your pup from Dave Platts? Put a photo up please when you get your pup.

Edited by jukel123
49 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Is your pup from Dave Platts? Put a photo up please when you get your pup.

Yes jukel123,

It is one of DPs pups, I have just read the past threads on the Deer/Greys ( all 14 pages ) some conflicting views but very interesting. I have just been given permission on a thousand acres of  mixed land and would have loved my pure Deerhound to have worked it, I would not have another pure bred Deerhound as i could not be sure it is not affected by the many problems they seem to suffer from which i believe to be down to the show brigade, they really do need to outcross before it,s too late.  i have to say though he had tremendous prey drive and at 33" tts could fairly motor when asked to and did bring things down quite easily. I am not looking for an out and out killing machine that gives good numbers but, something that will do for me when i want it to. It will be working alongside my other dogs so it will have to be biddable and know it,s place in the pack.

I will put some pictures up of the pup  when it arrives and keep you up to speed on it,s development .

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, Blackmissiles said:

Yes jukel123,

It is one of DPs pups, I have just read the past threads on the Deer/Greys ( all 14 pages ) some conflicting views but very interesting. I have just been given permission on a thousand acres of  mixed land and would have loved my pure Deerhound to have worked it, I would not have another pure bred Deerhound as i could not be sure it is not affected by the many problems they seem to suffer from which i believe to be down to the show brigade, they really do need to outcross before it,s too late.  i have to say though he had tremendous prey drive and at 33" tts could fairly motor when asked to and did bring things down quite easily. I am not looking for an out and out killing machine that gives good numbers but, something that will do for me when i want it to. It will be working alongside my other dogs so it will have to be biddable and know it,s place in the pack.

I will put some pictures up of the pup  when it arrives and keep you up to speed on it,s development .

Thanks, I'll look forward to that.

It’s hard getting really tested  deerhound blood these days in this country but if you can and you mix it with some decent saluki based stuff you can give them some stick and they take some beating ....for my type of work anyway 

• Like 1

I've had 3

I really liked them and so did most that saw mine work.the last half x I had although not fully tested because she died young was excellent.none of this late maturring or not likeine vermin bull shit for her.

She caught hares where my mates dogs couldn't 

Proper all rounders I think and jump anything.

Edited by ginger beard
11 hours ago, MIK said:

It’s hard getting really tested  deerhound blood these days in this country but if you can and you mix it with some decent saluki based stuff you can give them some stick and they take some beating ....for my type of work anyway 

Is your big dog that suffered a bad injury still on the go Mik?

Yes he is still alive fully retired in front of the fire .....he was put over his daughter Kim early last year the bitch that razor went over a few years ago and we have 2 pups up here that are 1/2 way through there first season and are flying ....

• Like 1
On 12/21/2017 at 19:42, Blackmissiles said:

Hi folks,

what is the breeding of the pup that you will be getting from dave, is it out of saracen, and how old,the reason i ask is because  as i stated on the saracen forum, ive had 2 dogs from dave over the years, and didnt find them to be lacking what i wanted out of them, any body that has been around the breed and worked them for a long time knows they take a while to mature,are not out and out world beaters on every quarry, what i can say from my experience with them is they are a good and honest old traditional pot filling dog, back in the 1970s, when i first started out with deerx greys , purchased from john nuttal of cliheroe, these dogs were the ultimate in hare coursing and did it in fine style up and down the country,the main reason for there decline in popularity, was not because they wernt up to the job, it was because the great salukix grey was coming to the fore in the coursing game, like a lot of lads say relly good deerhound blood, is getting harder to obtain these days, i think its great that  this breed is making a revival again,thanks to people like dave platt who are striving to keep them going, after all not every one chooses to run what i term out and out killing machines,buteach man to there own, as the old saying goes horses for courses, keep them safe and all the best  to all  running your dogs over christmas and into the new year,

• Like 5