Poor salmon season

This year was as poor a salmon run as I’ve seen in near 30 years on the river ...imo we are seeing the effects of storm Frank and the damage it done to you fish and redds and I think next season will be worse but Mother Nature can heal itself and we will continue you do what we can on the river to help her 

my biggest fish from last season around 15lb what a scrap on light tackle 

B5B9E0A5-325D-4DEB-B63C-2264898261F5.jpeg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, MIK said:

Seems to be the way all over the country we can only do what we can on the rivers to help but have very little control what goes on out at sea where imo the problem is 

Fish farms are a menace. Most of the west coast rivers are fooked. Time they were moved inland but SNP are in bed with the farmed salmon industry.

This river I am ghillie on is the second beat from the sea so we are only a few miles from the mouth there were 7 cobbles netting in river when I was a kid and over 30 sets of fly nets along the beach north and south or the river mouth ....thousands of salmon were netted it was an industry and plenty wer caught on rod and line ....my beat had 1000 salmon caught by rod in a season ....

those days are long gone we had 125 last season  ....those were the days of the hatcheries they knew you can’t just keep taking 

16 hours ago, MIK said:

This river I am ghillie on is the second beat from the sea so we are only a few miles from the mouth there were 7 cobbles netting in river when I was a kid and over 30 sets of fly nets along the beach north and south or the river mouth ....thousands of salmon were netted it was an industry and plenty wer caught on rod and line ....my beat had 1000 salmon caught by rod in a season ....

those days are long gone we had 125 last season  ....those were the days of the hatcheries they knew you can’t just keep taking 

Christ that's  a staggering drop. Something has gone wrong somewhere. Lots of speculation but we need the boffins to  identify the eactual causes and then do something about it.