.22 Long accuracy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's one of the beauties of the .22. They're much cheaper to feed. Saying that the price has more than doubled in ten years. I can get 5250 rounds of Federal Champions for $262 (£185) which is still

I bought a box of federal classic hv hollowpoints to try, mainly because they were only four quid. Well, they were as accurate as any hollowpoints I’ve used. Just goes to show it’s worth trying a box

The question was about .22 LONG, not .22LR, there is a difference, which appears to have been missed by several posting here!  

In your gun. horses for courses. rws hp subs are the most accurate round out of my 22 and I have even tried them in my Anshutz 22 target rifle at the rifle club, 22 prone target. the accuracy on nsra 10 bull target were the same as eley match. it's like reloading for  centre fire. the round has to work in the gun barrel. if I were closer I would buy them off you.

Edited by Meece

The 22 lr is one of the oldest rounds and a really accurate one in most guns. Tens of millions of rounds are shot off every year in all sorts of weapons. The only thing that I have come across is,  American ammo is hot. Its considered to be a kids gun power and all the American ammo that I have come across is pretty much supersonic or on the borderline even if it is supposed to be standard speed. I once bought a thousand Remington STD match ammo. It was so inaccurate that I used it up as barrel warmers. Some rounds were quiet and others went off like Baikal 12 bore cartridges. I couldn't be bothered to break ten rounds down and weigh the charges and bullets or measure the length and Mike up the diameter of the bullet. Whatever the reason was, they weren't much use as bullets to shoot at game or paper. Several members of the club test shot them in their own guns and they were as variable in those guns also. The ammo was just out of tolerance somewhere. Does this rws ammo shoot consistantly or do you get bangers in amongst them? There's lots of reasons that the ammo might be variable.

Only ones I tried in long were CCI CB loads, a 29grain bullet around 800fps.

They are good on treed squirrel and sitting woodies.

Some old Winchester shorts with a 27grain hp HV I found many years ago were brilliant on rabbit over 70yards.

U.

19 hours ago, Underdog said:

When you say "22long" buddy, do you mean long rifle or the old long?

Most longs are low velocity but in the past HV were available and shorts.

U.

I'm glad you asked, I was about to...  can't remember the last time I used them, but I never did find them particularly accurate or useful, unlike LR!

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Meece said:

The 22 lr is one of the oldest rounds and a really accurate one in most guns. Tens of millions of rounds are shot off every year in all sorts of weapons. The only thing that I have come across is,  American ammo is hot. Its considered to be a kids gun power and all the American ammo that I have come across is pretty much supersonic or on the borderline even if it is supposed to be standard speed. I once bought a thousand Remington STD match ammo. It was so inaccurate that I used it up as barrel warmers. Some rounds were quiet and others went off like Baikal 12 bore cartridges. I couldn't be bothered to break ten rounds down and weigh the charges and bullets or measure the length and Mike up the diameter of the bullet. Whatever the reason was, they weren't much use as bullets to shoot at game or paper. Several members of the club test shot them in their own guns and they were as variable in those guns also. The ammo was just out of tolerance somewhere. Does this rws ammo shoot consistantly or do you get bangers in amongst them? There's lots of reasons that the ammo might be variable.

To me/my rifle they are horrendous can be 6 inch difference shot after shot and I don’t believe it’s me but don’t say I’m the best shot in the world

1 hour ago, Matthew Roots said:

To me/my rifle they are horrendous can be 6 inch difference shot after shot and I don’t believe it’s me but don’t say I’m the best shot in the world

sounds the same result as others have said on the internet.

having never tried them myself hence the question.

sounds like alot of velocity variation from what I can tell

Accuracy is consistent shot placement.  Variable Shot impact point can be caused by a multitude of problems. Consider the round first. The .22 lr is an incredibly accurate round over a series of thousands of rounds and in a multitude of barrels. It is used for international and Olympic shooting competition. The bull size on an NSRA 25 mtr target is about 1/2 inch across and the round is so accurate and consistent that a ten shot group can look like a single ragged bullet hole.

The gun. If the barrel or action are loose or the bedding is faulty this will cause the bullet to be all over the place. The trigger. The trip weight on a target gun is so light that I don't actually squeeze or pull the trigger, it is more a thought  than a physical activity. Obviously this wouldn't be suitable for a field rifle.  Sights. Again if the sights are loose on the mount or if there is movement internally in a scope this will case variable shot placement. The barrel. Can get rough and leaded up. This can cause a situation where shots can be accurate and suddenly the point of impact jumps to somewhere else. The shooter. The greatest variable of the whole lot. Pulling, snatching, bad hold, a long list and the shooter might just be a poor shooter. Set the gun up in a workmate and use 5 rounds on the same target . A blank sheet of paper without an aiming mark and see what sort of group you get. Try different types. Shoot 3 rounds off to settle the barrel and then test.