British Columbia has banned Grizzly Bear hunting....

.... for resident hunters and non resident hunters ,aboriginals will still be able to hunt grizz WTF.

The grizz population in BC is doing just fine as it is ,and was already increasing and they only gave out a few tags each year which had no affect on population

is this the begining of the end for hunting in W Canada. The left have won again

4 minutes ago, DanielG said:

.... for resident hunters and non resident hunters ,aboriginals will still be able to hunt grizz WTF.

The grizz population in BC is doing just fine as it is ,and was already increasing and they only gave out a few tags each year which had no affect on population

is this the begining of the end for hunting in W Canada. The left have won again

Read that earlier,people are saying theres ways round it ie buy tags and guided hunts from first nation peoples as in polar bear hunts,also people saying the next hunts to be banned in BC will be wolf and black bear.

• Like 1

Your probably right mackem about the wolves and the black bear.

regarding the FN,S guiding you on grizzly, it will now cost a fortune i would imagine so only the select few if that happens.

I only  paid $85 to get a resident grizz tag in a tough low odds area when i hunted grizzlies.

it will mean the Bears will become not afraid of humans ,which will cause maulings. ive seen bears in national parks and there semi tame, which means there bloody dangerous with no fear.

• Like 1

Grizzly hunts for non-residents are horrendous currently,i think they average $14,000 USD?Just means the first nations will make the cash instead of guides,i have read of first nations taking dozens of people a day to watch grizzly feeding on salmon charging $100 USD a person,thats big money,maybe more cash in it through eco-tourism for them?

• Like 1

I wonder what a polar bear hunt costs? that might be near what a grizz hunt in bc will cost in the future

regarding the eco tourists your 100% right thats a lot of $$ but so is hunting $$$, and hunting keeps the bears afraid of humans

30 minutes ago, DanielG said:

I wonder what a polar bear hunt costs? that might be near what a grizz hunt in bc will cost in the future

regarding the eco tourists your 100% right thats a lot of $$ but so is hunting $$$, and hunting keeps the bears afraid of humans

Polar bear hunts I read are roughly $45k but the hides are non-exportable from Canada,apparently theres a number of full body mount bears in Canadian taxidermists storage units waiting for the day when the polar bear import ban is lifted in the states.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, mackem said:

Did you ever get a shot at one Daniel?I know this is an Alaskan bear but they are like tanks :blink:

Ive seen loads of big grizzlies when i never had a tag LOL

On my low odds hunt 1.1odds, i went at the last 2 weeks of the spring season in june and the trails to the drainages, where the bears are in spring, were completely snowed in so i couldnt get within 20 miles, I never had atv tracks which would of been the only possible way for me on my own

.it didnt bother me with no success,i enjoyed the experience just the same

solo grizz hunting is dependant on perfect circumstances.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, mackem said:

As the taxidermist says,and others agree,i am not standing 10 feet behind them nor is it photoshopped,i am standing BETWEEN them,both bears squared around ten and a half foot. :icon_eek:

17504695_1476292502442687_1725013715991358957_o%201_zpsr5davde4.jpg

love that picture ,people dont realise just how big they are

• Like 1

I didn't realise they were that big mate,i have seen a sloth bear and a black bear in the wild but those grizzly look like they can eat a horse at a sitting,i used to read about people carrying .44 magnums in bear country and thought it was overkill till I read a grizzly can weigh 1000 lbs :icon_eek:

9 minutes ago, mackem said:

I didn't realise they were that big mate,i have seen a sloth bear and a black bear in the wild but those grizzly look like they can eat a horse at a sitting,i used to read about people carrying .44 magnums in bear country and thought it was overkill till I read a grizzly can weigh 1000 lbs :icon_eek:

dont matter what calibre you use mate .if you dont put the round in the kill zone      the fkr will eat you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First comment below the clip....

Slippery Storm 2 months ago

A little personal story. I got nailed by a grizz back in the 90s Ambushed me from behind He went under my legs, cutting my leg with one of his claws. I went back over him. The only thing that saved me was my heavy kelty 90l pack. It was full. I landed on top of it, giving me time to pull out my spray from my chest holster. He spun around. I hit him and he ran away screaming. If I had an empty pack on I would have fallen to the ground giving him enough time to get me Ended with 140 staples in the leg but lived. My friends were about 1/2 mile away with the marlins but I’m glad I had the spray. I usually carry spray and 44 in Alaska ; spray in Canada (all the rules up there) but I would always reach for the spray in close quarters. It is amazing how quick they are. And quiet even with charging. My friend came through alders behind me and he was on me in a couple of seconds. Amazing animals. That round in this video at that range would do a lot of damage to the animal but it is hard to do with all of that adrenaline (and anger) . They are so fast. I was lucky to see one chase down an elk going about 35 mph. I was about 300 yards away on a ridge. I still love bears. PS. I still get paranoid around high alders though but whatever HYOH.