More digs than usual?

Jax13

Has anyone else had a similar start to the season? 

This year it seems that the bunnies are really reluctant to bolt, first time out we had 11, 8 of which had to be dug. Today, and every other day so far 80%+ were digs. 

It just seems odd because land that has previously been relatively light on the need for the spade is turning into land that's barely worth purse netting because most of them are holding tight and getting balled up. 

It just seemed a bit wierd and I wondered if anyone else was having similar experiences. 

Rabbits are being lamped to dead they rather take there chance under ground than face what might be over ground,  one farm had years ago was the same dig every rabbit sometimes 4 or 5 in pooch,  asked farmer was anyone else hunting said lads lamping every night.       

i think it depends on the ground some ground where they hardly see a ferret they fly out . we got another that's poached regular and  if they don't show putting another ferret in  will bottle them up and result in a dig , there big old burrows and i think there getting done with guys with no enough equipment or ferrets and there wising up the rabbits . we got another  round a fishery  and you can put a ferret in and they fly out up to a 100 yards from where you enter the ferret it seems like they hear them coming  . But a few guys it might be down to field craft now there's locators   how many guys approach a  warren down wind and try no to walk over it ?.

• Like 1

I have 2 days on a caravan park every year when it's shut....one day we dug every rabbit.... The following day we did the difficult warrens in lots of bramble, it was light sandy ground with shallow holes, we want to dig those rather than netting, we banged and crashed, beat the earth with spades hoping our big hob ferrets would bottle em up......everyone bolted! I guess sometimes we will never know why