favourite type of working terrier and why?

11 hours ago, neil cooney said:

What happened to the Lakeland worker was nothing but a disgrace and sadly some of the idiots who caused it's demise as a worker were the same men who get all the credit for turning it into a worker. They couldn't refuse the almighty £££££££££££££ and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as hunting men.

Back in the day when there were plenty of good working Jack Russells I always though of them as the thinking mans terrier. The man who needed a terrier for badgers, and then some for fox and then ones that could be used for stopping and bolting or called out if digging was out of the question and then ones who bolt them all the time etc. usually went for the JRT. They were all rounders compared to the point and release harder black terriers. But personally I want a terrier I can leave loose to find quarry no matter where it's hiding and maybe new earths in the process and when quarry's located must stay 'till the jobs done. 

Thankfully the family of terriers I have now nearly 30 years does that to my requirements and that's all that matters to me.

P.S. before anyone states the obvious, I do know that there's lines of working Lakelands still out there but they are a lot fewer in number. A big pity. Also IMO work for a terrier is underground working quarry. All the other sports that terriers partake in are good sport to but can be done by other breeds and in some cases done much better ie. picking up ,so when I talk about terrier work I mean the job that only a good terrier can do.

My aul Digger dog was no world beater Neil, yet I never laid anyone to think any different. He put more work on the bank in a season than some men's so called world beaters would do in half a dozen seasons!

Quality or quantity? 

I had a black bitch at time that was impressive in any mans eyes, you let her drop in and she sorted it out. I'd never thought about putting my Lakeland over her.

Pity I didn't by being stubborn and true to type. Lakeland wise, there wasn't any bitches good enough that where consistent enough to be bred from to compare. There was no bitches that I could find at the time. 

As for JRT ain't seen many goodun's in my time but I wouldn't say they're not out there. 

Plenty of bullx's where the fashion and still some about,  but very little.  Given enough work the majority of what I seen ended up mediocre at best. 

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What happened to the Lakeland worker was nothing but a disgrace and sadly some of the idiots who caused it's demise as a worker were the same men who get all the credit for turning it into a worker. T

For me it is the Jack Russell terrier. I have always been of he opinion that working terriers are a rather unique type of dog. Small in size (from necessity) but never stature. Hunt like hounds but ga

IMO most sensible thinking terrier men will use a type that suits their country and style of digging. Quarry is a big factor too. So for that reason IMO it's not an accident that the black terriers fo

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

I like a laid back slob of a terrier, that lives for little but work and when it crawls into the darkness you've total confidence of getting a result without having to rush.  Nose, brains, durability you shake your head at. 

And that self clips itself for shows. Although I can live without that. 

Well said. All the old reliables seem to be very laid back and calm around the yard and make the job look easy in the field. 

• Like 1

The laid back terriermen is as much a joy to be around as the dog in the ground .Parted company with many scrabble asses for that reason .Even hunt days don' deserve a rushed affair .Dug to many types over the years but priorities have changed as I got older .I no longer look on the hard type as being the only dog worth keeping as I once did .Nowadays its more about finese and no vet bills .Blacks are my chosen type .

• Like 7

I think it all boils down to what type suit the individual needs,some places can be tight rabbity spots where other areas can be huge dungeons of places,the black stuff i have at the moment suits me and the area i live in with no complaints,others might no like them but they are not the ones that feed them.

• Like 6
7 hours ago, fat man said:

I think it all boils down to what type suit the individual needs,some places can be tight rabbity spots where other areas can be huge dungeons of places,the black stuff i have at the moment suits me and the area i live in with no complaints,others might no like them but they are not the ones that feed them.

thats it,  peoples needs are different, just up here the bow legged jacks were common around us growing up and were always up for a bit of sport seen 2 stretching a cat many yrs ago in a hay pile, terriers are great do or die tykes lol 

the first black I see was a dog my mate bought of K Gould  out of a dog called Spartacus , we didn’t know names lol We was only teenagers at the time and only had mongrel jrt types . This dog was 13 months old and  and had never been to ground . We takes him up the local park ( different times lol) . He wanted in so we let him go , green as grass we was. Anyway half hour later the reversed out pulling a dead red from that moment on Black dogs  all I ever wanted ! 

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I was lucky in that I never 'wasted' any years messing about with other breeds, I was straight in at the deep end with a black dog pup and learnt as I went along. Had some great times digging to the little black (and sometimes choc) dogs, hopefully with many more to come! 

Digging to other breeds was never wasted time RH in fact you can still learn a lot lol . 

A good un is a good un regardless 

• Like 4

Men who are seriously into their digging,..know exactly the right stuff to keep...:thumbs:

Personally,..for the mouching game and roustabout, bush busting sport, I always liked a nice Bedlington/Border or a Border/Russel...

We have had some memorable hunts on the rabbits, deer, and foxes,... wish I could have that time, back again,... if only for a while...:yes:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, marshman said:

Digging to other breeds was never wasted time RH in fact you can still learn a lot lol . 

A good un is a good un regardless 

I wasn't crabbing the other breeds MM, I just think at this present time that the Patterdales/Fells are superior on a whole to anything else, so I fell lucky that I was dropped straight onto them. For example, I've got a good friend who is 20 years older than me, we both keep the exact same blood, but he says I'm lucky to have the blood so young whereas he had to mess about with various breeds before he came across this blood at a later age.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I wasn't crabbing the other breeds MM, I just think at this present time that the Patterdales/Fells are superior on a whole to anything else, so I fell lucky that I was dropped straight onto them. For example, I've got a good friend who is 20 years older than me, we both keep the exact same blood, but he says I'm lucky to have the blood so young whereas he had to mess about with various breeds before he came across this blood at a later age.

Mate I know you wasn’t crabbing other breeds  ! I think it was the word you used “ Wasted time “ all I was saying ie  digging on the banjo being around dogs in the field and learning  is never wasted time is all . Anyway I get your point though so fair play mate merry Christmas ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bedlington terrier for me, my grandfather and father had some good all rounders. Bolting fox for pelts, and ferreting, ratting, beating, picking up, bushing and also in my opinion the best x for a moochers lurcher. I like all the working terrier breeds, some are falling into the wrong hands "pet homes but worse still" money men. A working terriers job should be earth work but I haven't got kennel space for just earth dogs if I did I'd go for a fell, or lakeland.   my dog must be a all-rounder filling many work roles so it's a bedlington in my opinion, 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Jerry71 said:

Bedlington terrier for me, my grandfather and father had some good all rounders. Bolting fox for pelts, and ferreting, ratting, beating, picking up, bushing and also in my opinion the best x for a moochers lurcher. I like all the working terrier breeds, some are falling into the wrong hands "pet homes but worse still" money men. A working terriers job should be earth work but I haven't got kennel space for just earth dogs if I did I'd go for a fell, or lakeland.   my dog must be a all-rounder filling many work roles so it's a bedlington in my opinion, 

very honest answer,  some of our most memorable  days was out with a ferret, lurcher and a couple of bolting terriers,  the sport was fantastic and accounted for some fox numbers with a pheasant or 2 over the shoulder

Edited by Lenmcharristar