favourite type of working terrier and why?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What happened to the Lakeland worker was nothing but a disgrace and sadly some of the idiots who caused it's demise as a worker were the same men who get all the credit for turning it into a worker. T

For me it is the Jack Russell terrier. I have always been of he opinion that working terriers are a rather unique type of dog. Small in size (from necessity) but never stature. Hunt like hounds but ga

IMO most sensible thinking terrier men will use a type that suits their country and style of digging. Quarry is a big factor too. So for that reason IMO it's not an accident that the black terriers fo

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

what is peoples fav type of terrier and why? was there a day when you seen the type that became your favourite by a certain dig or winning against all odds, killing certain number of rats or a certain type or dog you had that you couldn't live without that just made great days? its always a pleasure to see a good dog at its job whatever that maybe I like blacks but do enjoy seeing a good Russell or border but there becomingly rare 

• Like 1

i love jack russels too, this is purely opinion but a lot of terriers are kept as non working pets and jack russels seem to keep their working genes better

my mum got one and you cant take it anywhere without it catching some scent and working it. a i know its parents didnt work and probably parents after that didnt

but saying that when i met the mrs she had a yorkie x with a laparapsu or however you spell it and it went from being a lapdog for 7 years to hating squirrels with such a passion iv never seen before in just a few short week of taking it out with the catty, i think it got bit finishing one off and since then it will follow them from tree to tree so aggressively they sometimes fall and get caught, i mean its rare but epic when it happens.

shes bigger than you would imagine and has quite an impressive bark

IMO most sensible thinking terrier men will use a type that suits their country and style of digging. Quarry is a big factor too. So for that reason IMO it's not an accident that the black terriers followed by the Jack Russells are the most common types worked.

Years ago I always found that the all round terrier man used a Jack Russell and the man who liked to spend all day at one big place used the fell types. But work wise the fell working type is nearly confined to the black ones now.

Other types now and again become fashionable, ie. the borders, beddies and Cork terriers but it doesn't seem to last long and these types only seem to do well in the hands of those who've always had them. Those who chance their hands at these types usually end up going back to the old reliables.

As for romance and sentimentality ??? These traits in a terrier man do not put game on the sod in my experience.

• Like 7
47 minutes ago, neil cooney said:

IMO most sensible thinking terrier men will use a type that suits their country and style of digging. Quarry is a big factor too. So for that reason IMO it's not an accident that the black terriers followed by the Jack Russells are the most common types worked.

Years ago I always found that the all round terrier man used a Jack Russell and the man who liked to spend all day at one big place used the fell types. But work wise the fell working type is nearly confined to the black ones now.

Other types now and again become fashionable, ie. the borders, beddies and Cork terriers but it doesn't seem to last long and these types only seem to do well in the hands of those who've always had them. Those who chance their hands at these types usually end up going back to the old reliables.

As for romance and sentimentality ??? These traits in a terrier man do not put game on the sod in my experience.

fair point  neil , i no digging man, but have been invited over the years to few digs, and it does seem the black terrier   was 1st choice for the fox job, and the jack terrier  was more for round the farms , old building  etc for the rat job , but fair few were used on foxes, but most times it was as pat that was used . a terrier i  liked but you dont seem to see to many of today, is the lakeland  the old black/tan    just a thought    mate .

Iv seen some cracking black dogs over last couple seasons a dog called broc and dog called sarg stand out to me both got the job done both work very differently! But I like nothing more than digging a Russell got a massive soft spot for them but when it comes down to facts Iv dog a lot more black dogs than Russell’s and know of a lot more black dogs doing the job than Russell’s 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, bird said:

fair point  neil , i no digging man, but have been invited over the years to few digs, and it does seem the black terrier   was 1st choice for the fox job, and the jack terrier  was more for round the farms , old building  etc for the rat job , but fair few were used on foxes, but most times it was as pat that was used . a terrier i  liked but you dont seem to see to many of today, is the lakeland  the old black/tan    just a thought    mate .

What happened to the Lakeland worker was nothing but a disgrace and sadly some of the idiots who caused it's demise as a worker were the same men who get all the credit for turning it into a worker. They couldn't refuse the almighty £££££££££££££ and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as hunting men.

Back in the day when there were plenty of good working Jack Russells I always though of them as the thinking mans terrier. The man who needed a terrier for badgers, and then some for fox and then ones that could be used for stopping and bolting or called out if digging was out of the question and then ones who bolt them all the time etc. usually went for the JRT. They were all rounders compared to the point and release harder black terriers. But personally I want a terrier I can leave loose to find quarry no matter where it's hiding and maybe new earths in the process and when quarry's located must stay 'till the jobs done. 

Thankfully the family of terriers I have now nearly 30 years does that to my requirements and that's all that matters to me.

P.S. before anyone states the obvious, I do know that there's lines of working Lakelands still out there but they are a lot fewer in number. A big pity. Also IMO work for a terrier is underground working quarry. All the other sports that terriers partake in are good sport to but can be done by other breeds and in some cases done much better ie. picking up ,so when I talk about terrier work I mean the job that only a good terrier can do.

• Like 9

I like a laid back slob of a terrier, that lives for little but work and when it crawls into the darkness you've total confidence of getting a result without having to rush.  Nose, brains, durability you shake your head at. 

And that self clips itself for shows. Although I can live without that. 

• Like 3