Ratting advice

So I managed to get permission on a chicken farm last week, and went along today with the two pups, my missus and my smoker I knocked up. This is my first proper go at ratting as I've always done ferreting and lost my young dog a few months ago so starting again. The chicken pens were riddled with holes and there were big piles of wood etc. Used my smoker and there was smoke coming out of various holes and out of holes first hidden. Didn't bolt anything all morning. The pup marked one I. The shed wall but we couldn't get it out. My girlfriends dad said he thinks either they weren't in the ground as it's been mild or the smoker wasn't going deep enough. I think it was fine as it was bellowing out of the holes and throwing out smoke out of holes well away from the holes I was smoking into so it was working through the Warren's well enough. I just think there must of been none there? There was small amounts of poo on certain holes but other than that nothing. Do you guys think the smoke wasn't going deep enough? 

Is there poison down mate. A fresh poisoning campaign can wipe them out fast leaving very few about .Ive seen the same as you in the past ,plenty of sign but nothing bolting .Is there a hose pipe nearby as the water ,smoke combo definitely rattles them in deep places .put your first visit down to a recce and keep going back mate .Youll learrn where the rats are or arnt .Dont be put off by early failure .

• Like 1

There were lots of those black bait boxes around and the owner said they have four barn cats. I was a bit gutted I won't lie but the smoker was definitely doing the job. I guess I did everything right just If they aren't there you can't get em. 

• Like 1