Gotta have a heart

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

About two years ago I was working on a property in the central tablelands NSW when the bosses wife called me to rescue a baby fox down a  mine shaft.These people would have to be the kindest farmers i

Well done real country man Its not all about the hunting but enjoying nature aswell.  I watch foxes, birds of prey, song birds, rabbits at work find it very relaxing.

Years ago I got four cubs ferreting,I gave them away to mates, one of them lived in doors with a jack Russell until it was around 16 months then it just cleared off one day,I’ve killed foxes on shooti

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I think you can kill them if there a danger on your property,where I am everyone kills them on sight.410 shotguns the go,have to get too close with an air pistol.

or a .410 haha.

i probably watched too much steve irwin as a kid but is it difficult to pin them down with a long stick and cut theirheads? off i suppose its too much risk with a brown snake, iv only ever had fleeting glimses of wild snakes in england sometimes see them basking in the summer but by the time you have spotted them they are gone 

7 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I think you have max 4hrs if bitten and I live in the bush.My mate picks them up by the tail and whips their heads off but he's a bit loco.

is it possible tp carry the antidote with you....

My uncle had two fox cubs wich he found starving after parents were shot, there eyes had not long been open. They done well and released a few months later once big anufe to fend for themselves. He also found a badger cub about fifty years ago, the set had been dug and dug bad as he put it. Two cubs left dead one sow and a dead terrier left in the hedge. He found the cub covered over in a stop end and took it home and my mum cared for it for two years before she wondered from were they was staying. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, TOMO said:

is it possible tp carry the antidote with you....

Antivenom really needs to be administered by medical professionals, it's not as simple as jabbing it and you're fine it needs to be added slowly and your symptoms monitored to find the correct dose and you wouldn't want to have a bad reaction to it out in the bush, that could kill you just as quick as the venom!

Price, shelf life and storage needs make it impractical too, your best bet is using a pressure bandage and trying to keep calm to slow the flow of venom around your body while trying to get to help as quick as possible.

• Like 1

They don't wan't their food gathering venom wasted on non food items.Only use it if they feel threatened,whoevers closest.Brown snakes are really aggressive and will go you from some distance mostly in spring breeding season.Most other snakes are shy.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 1