couple of hours out

The Head keeper was off on another shoot with the big boss today, so I snuck off the estate after feeding my birds.   I arrived on some of my old permission about 2.15 so I was cutting things fine to say the least!  But after I'd collared up the two jills and put the jack russel (in case we ran something cheekier to ground than a rabbit) on a lead I turned around and Jake, my lurcher was already marking the first burrow, both jills in (last years but pretty unexperienced) and quick bolt which jake caught within 8ft of the hole, and i'm thinking how the lurcher is still pretty handy despite a LONG lay off from ferreting. HOW WRONG I WAS. Next burrow he was keen so one jill in and she came out, I realised I should have read his body language better... next burrow he does the same kind of mark, like theres scent ON TOP of the burrow, and he stands back staring at the whole burrow instead of a single hole (hope that makes sense?). Anyway as I half turned from the burrow so he moves with me, I reckon he knew there was nowt in, just wishful thinking.  Next burrow a proper mark, ferret in and as a long wrestling match unfolds I manage to grab the bunny from up the tube.  Next burrow, two bolt after a strong mark and make it into a stone wall.  I walk up and bring Jake back from the burrow, its a bad spot.  Jake pushes the next rabbit from a braken bed into a tidy 5 holer, which bolts again straight after the jill enters and after a long run over rocks snow and whole field makes it save under an oak tree! Lights fading by now but what the hell I'm not at work so I'm making the most of it! With th wind picking up jake didn't hear the next bolt but after 30yd dash straight up a steep bank he nailed his rabbit so I thought Id start heading back to the van.  He marked another in, resulting in a 5 foot dig through stones and shale, but worth it to get a first dig to my jills. Maybe its the wannabe terrierman in me but I don't think a days ferreting is complete without a dig. Or maybe after Ive carried the spade round the mountain its satisfying to use it?  By now its dark so I headed for home, but I'm planning an early finish sunday and round two while theres a few rabbits on the ground!

THANKS FOR READING

• Like 4