pheasant carcas

while at  local game dealers for some ferret grub

i asked about the carcases and was told they were

sent to be burnt...

could i feed some to my dogs ? i would mince them first!!!

seems a lot of meat left when only the breast is used.....:hmm:

You can eat the legs yourself i get them from a mate and feed them to the ferrets after hes taking the breasts off , Why mince them ? but its a bit of effort to skin them for whats left presuming they only pluck the breast 

A lot of shoots are struggling to get rid of pheasants this year, most game dealers will only take them for nothing and some even charging to take them away, if you know any shoots you can probably go and get whole birds for nothing or at least a small donation.

There is talk of some bigger shoots burying them and i have heard of one estate that has had a incinerator built, Disgusting really, what a waste of good meat.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, myersbg said:

A lot of shoots are struggling to get rid of pheasants this year, most game dealers will only take them for nothing and some even charging to take them away, if you know any shoots you can probably go and get whole birds for nothing or at least a small donation.

There is talk of some bigger shoots burying them and i have heard of one estate that has had a incinerator built, Disgusting really, what a waste of good meat.

Same here I have more pheasant than rabbits in my freezer at the moment, crazy carry on.

Is it the case that the gentry shooters don't want to pay for what they shot.

The estate by me the keeper put down 2k birds, and that's just for family and friends.

36 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Same here I have more pheasant than rabbits in my freezer at the moment, crazy carry on.

Is it the case that the gentry shooters don't want to pay for what they shot.

The estate by me the keeper put down 2k birds, and that's just for family and friends.

You don't pay to take what you have shot fella, only to shoot it in the first place. Most keepers would be happy for guns to take what they want out the chiller. 2k birds to wood might be 500-800 in the chiller, split over say 10 days that's 50-80 birds a day. Between beaters and guns that should be easy to shift. If he's shooting fewer but bigger days then I doubt his returns will be anything decent but when you are talking 100+ bird days then a outlet (game dealer/pubs) becomes necessary. The supply of game birds to the food market is really just a case of shooting 100, 200, 300+ bird days becoming very popular and the demand for the harvested meat not keeping up.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Shoots are taking payments on the day instead of per bird I've been told by a local keeper hence loads of pheasants. They breed so many one estate by me breeds 1000s and some seasons buy them in aswell it's mental. 

It'll still work out at XX price per bird and then the keeper will make sure the day doesn't surpass what he has charged them for. Other than on a mop up day at the end of Jan where you just pay a fixed lump for an open ended day every shoot charges per bird, that's just how shooting is dominantly valued. I can't see how charging for a day makes it cheaper per bird and therefore bigger days. It just doesn't work out like that.

It's simply a matter of shooting birds being in demand and eating them not quite keeping up with that. But lets straighten something out, the harvested meat has dropped in value but for the most part it's still being processed. There's lots of rumours of it being wasted but not much in the way of actual evidence. If the value continues to drop though then eventually that'll happen which is why so many folks are talking about it now.

• Like 1