wolf hound x deerhound pups

There was a proper Wolfhound coursing club set up in Britain a few years ago similar to the Coursing Club for Scottish Deerhounds with a judge, slipper and I presume beaters etc. 

Some coursing expert went to a meeting and wrote a report in one of the magazines. If I remember correctly his comment was something similar too "upon reaching their quarry the Wolfhounds showed no desire to kill it."

That was on Hares and lads are talking about taking Coyotes etc. with them. The Greyhound blood would need to be pretty game to carry the blood of these giant curs. Pretty dogs but that doesn't catch game. And dis-miss the old Celtic legends about the Celtic hound being equal to two men in battle because that breed is extinct. The Irish Wolfhound of today is a recreated breed. There's a specimen mounted in the Natural History museum in Dublin (I think from the early 1920s) and it looks a lot different to todays monstrosities 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like the one with the white cross on her chest is heading my way this friday ?

Don't get attached to the cats?

Looks like the old deerhoundy types,get one and get it on racoons and coyotes,lucky man  70 odd quid for a pup,puts UK prices into perspective.

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I'm assuming 'wolfhound' means something different in the US? Have you asked what the parents are killing?

Well they look the part. Good luck...

the parents are used for coyote hunting

its legal where he lives but not in my area.

but the law is ambiguous to say the least

• Like 1
On 12/12/2017 at 22:01, W. Katchum said:

When I was a lad my ole man fed us on stuff he caught with a wolfhound/deer/grey an you could have called us chubby kids:laugh: dog was 13 when ole man died he was 28, an  dog lay down an refused to get back up an after a couple weeks force feeding and forcing water into dog by my ma it geed up the ghost an followed me ole man, true story that, I’d not have one as it would be too big for what I do but if I was around quarry suitable an allowed to run it I’d have a couple a brace :laugh: worst that could happen is they shite

Mind your superted telling me about your family and deerhounds etc.

Some dogs are meant to be with their owners mate ;)

• Like 1

I saw a Wolfhound and a Great Dane get rinsed by a german/Dutch Doberman many years ago, killed the pair of them stone dead in about 5 minutes flat.

Dint know how good anything like that would be against teeth. 

• Confused 2

I get the impression that the 'Wolfhound' is merely a local term for the ancestry of this type of dog? I'm not sure I'd read too much into it unless told by local dogmen otherwise.

They look solidly made animals from the pictures, not what I'd expect a KC type Wolfhound to throw....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WILF said:

I saw a Wolfhound and a Great Dane get rinsed by a german/Dutch Doberman many years ago, killed the pair of them stone dead in about 5 minutes flat.

Dint know how good anything like that would be against teeth. 

I occasionally meet a beautiful fawn wolfhound. but its a massive lap dog rather that an over grown running dog. It wouldn't last 2 minutes against a Jack Russell let alone a Doberman. Anyone who sets Doberman on a dog like that is just a sick MF. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wolf Hounds by function I would think. Not  judged in a show ring on a points system using a breed standard written by the wrong people who wanted to keep a closed gene pool for the wrong reasons. Form follows function, always has and always will. Nice wolf hounds in Ted Newgent's photos. But I must add that I've never seen a wolf (or any wild canine bigger than a fox), so this is purely my personal opinion based on jack.

9 hours ago, PJCaswell said:

I occasionally meet a beautiful fawn wolfhound. but its a massive lap dog rather that an over grown running dog. It wouldn't last 2 minutes against a Jack Russell let alone a Doberman. Anyone who sets Doberman on a dog like that is just a sick MF. 

Who ever let that happen is a right prick and no mistake 

• Like 1