410 shooting high

Guest Navek

Got an old 410 shotgun here  wooden stock that is shooting about a foot and half high when patterning using POA method ..

question is can I just sand down the comb to lower shot pattern .its old so not bothers what it looks like ,if not I'll give it someone for dispatching trapped vermin 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's 5 silly options for you to consider  1. aim about a foot and a half low. 2. get a high front bead. 3. add some packing to extend the stock length. 4. bend the barrel down in a curve. 5. throw a

Club.    I've never thought about or tested the accuracy of mine.  I was given it and apparently it has taken hundreds and hundreds of birds off of  boughs in the distant past by the blokes father and

Nout wrong using a good tractor front link is there inderdog?

Posted Images

Here's 5 silly options for you to consider  1. aim about a foot and a half low. 2. get a high front bead. 3. add some packing to extend the stock length. 4. bend the barrel down in a curve. 5. throw away and get a proper gun that fits you

Edited by Meece
  • Haha 2
12 minutes ago, Meece said:

Here's 5 silly options for you to consider  1. aim about a foot and a half low. 2. get a high front bead. 3. add some packing to extend the stock length. 4. bend the barrel down in a curve. 5. throw away and get a proper gun that fits you

Not going bother about getting a 410 fitted to me for how much I use it and I have another one that I get on fine with ...but thanks for the suggestion tho .ill try adding extra stock length .if that doesn't work I'll just chuck the gun at quarry see if it hits something 

most of those old 410s were on the small size for concealment.  you might find that if you were poaching out of trees that it hit the mark when fired straight up.  do your test with a chunk of folded cloth on the but like a folded up scarf or something and see what the result is.  you could tape a chunk of foam on it as an experiment. PS. put a picture of it on my show your guns thread. its good to see all sorts of guns.

Edited by Meece
afterthought

We bent a mates barrel but a foot and half is excessive to be fixed by a subtle bend.

It will need some wood removing too for that amount and then feel awkward.

It may need the wrist of the stock bending for a better result.

U.

2 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

I've got an old .410 poachers gun with a folding stock and I can honestly say I haven't hit a barn door with it it's useless I keep it because I like the look of it and it's old. 

Club.  :thumbs:  I've never thought about or tested the accuracy of mine.  I was given it and apparently it has taken hundreds and hundreds of birds off of  boughs in the distant past by the blokes father and uncle.  If only the gun could speak. The person that gave it to me is in his late 80s so goodness knows how old it is.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Navek said:

I'm just going use it as a club ??

Golf club?

the thing about disposing of guns is that at some stage you say >>>"i wish I hadn't got rid of that old 410, I could do with that now to make an anti tank rifle or a spike to hold the garden fence up with" :)!

5 minutes ago, Meece said:

Club.  :thumbs:  I've never thought about or tested the accuracy of mine.  I was given it and apparently it has taken hundreds and hundreds of birds off of  boughs in the distant past by the blokes father and uncle.  If only the gun could speak. The person that gave it to me is in his late 80s so goodness knows how old it is.

I suppose if I shot birds from tree boughs it wouldn't miss but when I've disturbed a pheasant from cover and took a shot with it no chance powerful little thing with a kick as well, I looked into the history of it and it was a gunsmith in Braintree Essex who was known as Mr Braintree he was the Mayor butcher Gunsmith etc his surname was Bartram I believe going back the best part of a hundred years, funny the things you acquire. 

Well I've bodge it lol I have put a 6 mm round bar on top of the barrel and covers it in shrink wrap .bin acros field to pattern it and it's spot on ...it's hitting where I'm looking...it doesn't look good ..but it works good so that will do ..