Wild ferret

To cut a long story short someone my dad knew had 6 ferrets . They all got loose 6 months ago and he managed to get 5 back. He got rid of the 5 and the 6th remained AWOL . Week ago someone local to him lost a few chickens and managed to live trap the ferret . The guy  whose chickens they were contacted my dad's friend sayings caught a ferret and could he do something with it as he wants it gone far away from his chickens . Guy plays ignorance to the fact it was his ferret and says he'll find a home for it . Hed had it a week and if im honest housed it shit etc and my dad said to me he thought it would end up with a bullet at some point so I said I got spare hutch , I'll put him in there and look after him and see how he goes. He's a huge hob 

Few questions . 

Is it likely he survived 6 months in the wild ?I was under the assumption they wouldn't last that long 

Also apart from following what I do with my other ferrets in cleanliness/diet etc is there anything else I should do . The guy I got him off said he was a little aggressive when he first got him from the trap but since then he's been able to pick him up ok . I got him from the box to hutch without any problems.  

My plan is to leave him in the hutch today with food water to get settled and tmrow try handling him a bit more . I'll check him for ticks and take them off if I see any and I got some of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beaphar-Parasite-Treatment-Rabbits-Ferrets/dp/B00XDNA6Y6 I can put on him . 

Edited by Welsh_red
  • Like 1

Yeah, they soon quite down, I found one a few years back, in a farmers barn, it was wild as hell, spitting, biting, stinking awful thing, it wanted to eat everyone alive, in less than a week it was tame and you could do owt with it, turned out to be an excellent worker.

a couple of years on I found out where it came from, it was a lad two villages away, had been out nearly 8 months when I picked it up

I, ll have it if ya don't want it... I like em wild.

I picked one up a long time ago whilst emptying Drop boxes He'd been in the box overnight with 11 bunnies and killed the lot of em. He was a monster.I had him over a couple of Jills and he produced some fine kits that turned out good little workers.

He always had that wild streak in him and even when he was worked he was more interested in taking the bunnies for himself than working for you etc.I ended up having him vasectomised and he retired as a shagging machine and had a great happy life.

I had to take the dreaded walk to the vets on Friday with a old poly hob who I rescued five years ago, my pal rents houses out and some one had left Alfie running around and left on his own for seven months. He was found when builders went in to renevat seven months after tenants left. He looked in good health and I asked neighbours if they had lost a ferret. They hadn't but lost all there hens and they was no rats about there sheds any more. He had been hunting and getting in and out through a broken vent. He was wild at first but calmed and I put a Jill with him and I would handle her and he just realised the giant leaves food, beding, and he bit once. Like iv said had him five seasons and he bolted hundreds of Coney and loved ratting yet was a gentle big hob who I will miss. I cryd on way home as he was a loven pet and a great worker. So with time and good food bedding your pug should be fine. Atb j

• Like 4

I lost a Jill for about 3 month on a place a lad who also ferrets on there found her and brought her back mine .she was full of ticks but healthy enough .she was nippy for a could of ds but soon settled in .to be honest I think she worked better after getting her bad 

• 2 weeks later...