Question for THL agony aunts

Just want opinions really lads....back in Dec 2013 when I was 25 I tracked down my biological father...he left my mum before i was born so I'd never met the bloke before. From the get go we got along like a house on fire,  he loved fishing, drinking beer...we had a lot in common and my kids loved him.  His missus is a lovely woman and I met 3 half siblings I didn' know I had....everything was going swimmingly. About 18 months later....so middle of 2015 things started going down hill..wont go in to detail but he was acting a c**t and I hated being around the bloke....but rather than sit down man to man and sort it which I was prepared to do he text me whilst I was at work one day and said maybe we shouldn't see each other any more....cut off all ties with me and my 3 kids. Fast forward to yesterday,  he text me apologizing and asking if i wanted to go out for a beer and sort out what happened.  In 2 minds as to what I should do...what would you lads do? 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have your own family now,thats the important thing,my kids never saw my father,when they were small I used to tell them my parents died in a plane crash  it shut them up my father died last year,h

i used to take a perverse pride in it mate ,  if anyone asked “ whose you’re dad son? “  “I haven’t got one” was the reply  I have a son of my own now, he looks like me so he looks like

I don't get all this fuss over meeting long lost family. If you don't know them you can't feel any thing for them. The less family that come out of the closet the better. Most people all ways want som

Posted Images

wasn't in your life from the beginning,left your mam to do the hard work,appears when your grown,acts like a cnut for a while,disappears again for unknown reasons then pops up again?f**k him off or book him onto Jeremy kyle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's time to decide whether you think you want to ride the emotional roller coaster. It could've been a one-off, or it could be the first step in a long chain of outbursts. As other members of the THL panel have already he said he hasn't exactly been there for you in the past but that doesn't mean he won't be in the future.

Personally, I'd pursue it for a little while but play your hand close to your chest lest you get burned... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

• Like 1

When you first met he was obviously on his best behaviour to impress you but as time whent by his true colours emerged and you seen him for what he really was ... time is to short to piss about on people that fukc you around even relatives ... it's not fair on your kids to have him in and out of their lives when he feels like it ... I would stay in touch with your siblings and be civil to your old fella when you see him but I wouldn't actively want him in my life .......

• Like 5

I don't get all this fuss over meeting long lost family. If you don't know them you can't feel any thing for them. The less family that come out of the closet the better. Most people all ways want some thing. I met my old man for first time when i was about 20. Silly sod was piss ahead and I never bothered with him. He drunk him self to death in the end so I heard. I just stick with my own family wife and kids that is enough for me 

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, terryd said:

I don't get all this fuss over meeting long lost family. If you don't know them you can't feel any thing for them. The less family that come out of the closet the better. Most people all ways want some thing. I met my old man for first time when i was about 20. Silly sod was piss ahead and I never bothered with him. He drunk him self to death in the end so I heard. I just stick with my own family wife and kids that is enough for me 

That's fair enough, mate. I have living relatives that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire but I've met some long lost relatives that I'd happily give the shirt off my back. I'm not one to keep going back to daft situations but if the OP is troubled enough by the situation to ask a bunch of strangers for advice then it's probably bothering him enough to go back for another look. Only he'll know whether it's worth it.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, socks said:

When you first met he was obviously on his best behaviour to impress you but as time whent by his true colours emerged and you seen him for what he really was ... time is to short to piss about on people that fukc you around even relatives ... it's not fair on your kids to have him in and out of their lives when he feels like it ... I would stay in touch with your siblings and be civil to your old fella when you see him but I wouldn't actively want him in my life .......

good thread   above  ken, add to that , i would meet him up as he said, then after   just  see him  few  times a year, like as now , just pop round with xmas card   or his birthday  etc, just the odd visit , and leave it at that.  Me and my dad never got on , if in the same room would end up like couple  pits having a go, i looked after him when he was dying of cancer the last 6 months , we kind of made it up then , just before he died   he told me i was a great son, any man would be proud of . i tell you what   he been dead  6 years, and mom  11 years ,  bloody hell do i miss them, i even miss my old man bollocking  me lol , your long time dead,  try to enjoy  them why you still alive  , this is from a old man     .   Ray

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1