Co op cant do good for doing wrong

2 minutes ago, scothunter said:

Sometimes you see mince on the shelf still in date thats going that dark colour.  Very off putting lol

We see it a lot from our local co op, and it's not always noticeable until you have opened it and turned it over. As it's for the dog's evening feed I just cook it in some olive oil and add some biscuit. It does him no harm and in fact he enjoys it. Have also taken back in date chickens which were off, and even a couple of shoulders of lamb which were off. Have had prepacked bacon off as well, I don't trust their meat at all now.

That said, the wife always goes about the same time each evening and brings back lots of things which have been drastically reduced, only thing is that it's stuff we wouldn't normally buy so added expense rather than a saving... women's logic I suppose.

• Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trusting our nose and eyes kept humans from eating rotten food for 1000s of years before sell by dates were invented!

Co op have started selling out of sale by date food for 10p. Think its a great idea and will certainly help famlies below the bread line and give them a wee helping hand. Of course health an

Aldi have said they will clear there shelves when they close on Christmas Eve, donating it to local charity's.    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/aldi-food-christmas-eve-give-

17 hours ago, jukel123 said:

People live perfectly well out of supermarket bins. So much waste is obscene. Personally I have never thrown food away because of a date. If it looks and tastes ok it is edible.

Sell by dates were invented as a marketing scheme to encourage people to buy more and throw away what is deemed not fresh. It's a shame so many people have been conditioned to obey that little bit of ink.

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, scothunter said:

Sometimes you see mince on the shelf still in date thats going that dark colour.  Very off putting lol

I believe that that is due to oxygen exposure, or lack of, and can be reversed. There's a business opportunity there for someone...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

I believe that that is due to oxygen exposure, or lack of, and can be reversed. There's a business opportunity there for someone...

I thought it was exposure to light but like the way packs if ham at the front of the chiller shelves go,but stuff behind stays pink.

Nothing really gets wasted in my house.

If we don't eat it the dog does.

I always buy the reduced meat, fish from the supermarket and bang it in the freezer for a rainy day. I also get reduced seafood but always use the same day. Difference here is, butchers and greengrocers still exist in large numbers and always have better quality products.

Bought 1kg of top quality beef yesterday for 5euros from the butchers, cut fresh from the carcass in front of me. Wouldn't get that in a supermarket ;)