Parallax

All's I can tell you is my parrlex adjustable scope is a pain in the a***! Nightmare when stalking about.

having to adjust for each distance for each shot,even 5yards out and it's out focus,Unless i leave it blurred and out of focus for each shot at different distance ,dose not effect the aim point just clears up the picture to sharpe perfect image. 

However I can set it to fixed ,still isn't half as clear as my non adjustable parrelx scope though.

• Like 1

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just kidding   It's all to do with focus at different ranges - a multipurpose set up that could be used, for example, for rats at 10yrds and rabbits at 45yrds, will give a better sight pictu

Also to add the better quality the glass, the less you have to worry about parallax generally, for instance I have a none AO Nikon scope on my .243 I am just as happy shooting at a fox 35 yards away a

Keeping this as basic and simple as I can. Paralax is about THE ANGLE AT WHICH YOU SEE AN OBJECT (IE. YOUR TARGET), RELATIVE TO YOUR POSITION AND DISTANCE TO IT..   Or in this case, the

Posted Images

Also to add the better quality the glass, the less you have to worry about parallax generally, for instance I have a none AO Nikon scope on my .243 I am just as happy shooting at a fox 35 yards away as I am at 300 yards, and dont really notice any difference in focus, most dedicated fixed power fullbore scopes are parallax set to 100 yards, most fixed power air rifle dedicated scopes to 30 yards, my favourite, and indeed the next expensive scope purchase will be a side focus Nikon, I find side focus brilliant, and much less of a faf than turning the end of the scope.

• Like 4

If you look down your scope and you see the cross hair on the centre of a paper target, that's good. If you move your head from side to side the cross hair will move side to side as well and that's bad. If you have a scope with a parallax adjustment and you set it to the distance at which you are shooting it will minimise this effect. The farther away and the greater the magnification the more this has an effect on what you are shooting. Parallax adjustment on a scope will sharpen an image but parallax itself is the difference of perspective of objects viewed at distance through an objective lens. My Mrs is in to stars an' sh1t and if you get your parallax out when your looking at a star a couple of hundred light years away you ain't gonna' see it. There's loads of mathematical equations for it if you wanted to really bore the crap out of some one at a dinner party. Given the choice I would choose a scope with parallax over one with out every time. Put it on a rifle that fits your face, I have combe raising kits on all my rifles, and you'll be looking straight down the centre of the scope every time. Your cross hairs will be on the target every time, and if you pull the trigger, and what ever it is you're shooting at doesn't move, you should hit it every time. 

Keeping this as basic and simple as I can.

Paralax is about THE ANGLE AT WHICH YOU SEE AN OBJECT (IE. YOUR TARGET), RELATIVE TO YOUR POSITION AND DISTANCE TO IT..

Or in this case, the position and the precise angle of sight alignement of your eye, on your reticle, as you position it on aim over your target.

With paralax error in shooting through a riflescope, it basically comes down to the angle your eye is mis-aligned on your reticle, when looking at the reticle, when you sight down the scope tube as it has been focused to a specific distance. The error is the amount of angle your eye is viewing off the centre of the tube.

It is also the changes in your point of impact that occur when you have a rabbit or target in your sight that appears at a different position and angle, to that which you actually were when you originally zeroed your rifle and scope. That's why you don't always hit the head in exactly the spot you laid your crosshair. Even though you may be at perfect zero range distance.

Let's say your focus is set on 35 yards or metres or whatever, and you are set on 6 X mag.  If your eye is viewing the reticle slightly off left, you will overcompensate your aim to left and miss to left. Or vice versa right.  You will be off target proportionately to left or right by however much you are viewing off the centre of your scope tube, 6 times by the magnification at 35 yards.

Some scopes will correct it, if it is only slight, or, to a certain degree to bring it back to something on target, but not correct the whole error if your eye alignment is off the centre of your tube.

If you zero your range distance in error of paralax alignment of your eye and then, correct your line of view to a more accurate position on your reticle, you will be off the target by however much you were out in the first place. Times by 6 Mag.

Just ensure you are comfortably on aim with your eye looking clean down through the centre of the tube and you'll keep your POI accuracy within minimal tolerence of angles and position changes and you'll be fine.

• Like 4
On 05/12/2017 at 10:06, johonawhitness said:

All's I can tell you is my parrlex adjustable scope is a pain in the a***! Nightmare when stalking about.

having to adjust for each distance for each shot,even 5yards out and it's out focus,Unless i leave it blurred and out of focus for each shot at different distance ,dose not effect the aim point just clears up the picture to sharpe perfect image. 

However I can set it to fixed ,still isn't half as clear as my non adjustable parrelx scope though.

Don't touch your scope setting from your zero, when moments of opportunity at different range distances occur. Otherwise, you will have reset your paralax for distance only and left out your new position and relative angle solution from your original zero. That will change your POI significantly.

Zero on low mag, say 5 or 6 times mag, and zero your .22 at 25 yards. Or .177 at 35. You will find your focus is much better without having to make such dramatic changes, other than as a simple range estimation and adjust your trajectory accordingly.

Much better if you can see things more clearly than a blurry image.

• Like 2
On 09/12/2017 at 11:00, Blackbriar said:

I was getting it, now I'm lost again !

Is it all about getting your eye in the same position on the reticle for each shot, then ? Or have I oversimplified ?

almost I would say ..the same position ... was correct but your eye should be looking down the center of the scope every time .

• Like 1

If I don't look straight down the scope, I don't see the whole sight picture. I just get a black ring round all or part of it.  I'm hoping that means if I see a whole picture I'm mounting the gun exactly the same each time, so the parallax effect won't matter. 

2 hours ago, walshie said:

If I don't look straight down the scope, I don't see the whole sight picture. I just get a black ring round all or part of it.  I'm hoping that means if I see a whole picture I'm mounting the gun exactly the same each time, so the parallax effect won't matter. 

Me too !

I use my parallax adjustment as an approximate range finder...........