retrieving dummies like a Labrador but not lamped rabbits

1 hour ago, terryd said:

Good luck rob be interesting to know what to try and how you get on so keep us posted. Mine is nearly 4 and not a chance with a possessive streak a mile wide and some sort of over excited frenzy with day time catches. Not so bad on the lamp just holds them till i get there and one night even bought one back when he forgot where i was and walked into me :lol:

That's what mines like, highly driven and possessive of bagged rabbits at the end of hunts,but not with me and holds live rabbits on the ground.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Facts are,..(and I do hope my opinion is of some small comfort to lads, who try so hard to get their dogs fetching captured game back to them),..that..not all lurcher type dogs will retrieve. It i

Good luck rob be interesting to know what to try and how you get on so keep us posted. Mine is nearly 4 and not a chance with a possessive streak a mile wide and some sort of over excited frenzy with

Interesting to read about Bruce. Fact is, I've known one or two lurchers like that, and even one that buried its catch, though I did, at the time, put it down to a lot of Saluki in the breeding. Saluk

Posted Images

Facts are,..(and I do hope my opinion is of some small comfort to lads, who try so hard to get their dogs fetching captured game back to them),..that..not all lurcher type dogs will retrieve.:yes:

It is annoying,...even a deal breaker for some owners,..but, unfortunately, I believe it to be a fact.

There are no canny tricks or mysterious techniques to force a regular retrieve of a live and kicking, squealing and scratching edible quarry.

I start all my pups on the fetching business at an early age and endeavor to instill in them, a kind of behavioral pattern that hopefully becomes ingrained in their psyche...Hopefully, this habitual, repetitive action stays with them into adulthood.

Sadly,...I don't always succeed...:icon_redface:

108.thumb.JPG.e5f3df8ac9ae24f235adc5208a300115.JPG

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Facts are,..(and I do hope my opinion is of some small comfort to lads, who try so hard to get their dogs fetching captured game back to them),..that..not all lurcher type dogs will retrieve.:yes:

It is annoying,...even a deal breaker for some owners,..but, unfortunately, I believe it to be a fact.

There are no canny tricks or mysterious techniques to force a regular retrieve of a live and kicking, squealing and scratching edible quarry.

I start all my pups on the fetching business at an early age and endeavor to instill in them, a kind of behavioral pattern that hopefully becomes ingrained in their psyche...Hopefully, this habitual, repetitive action stays with them into adulthood.

Sadly,...I don't always succeed...:icon_redface:

108.thumb.JPG.e5f3df8ac9ae24f235adc5208a300115.JPG

spot on  phil    deff mate,  what ive found over the years , is herding  type xs  , seem to click on to it right  away, all my collie xs retrieved   Bryn  ive got now quite good, but my best  deff   Buck ,  some of his rabbits  have been real long distance , and he  carried heavier things long distance as well , brill retriever   .and  never really did much training with him   , think it was couple throws with canvas dummy , when he was 3 months old , then no more , took him out with Bryn lamping, Bryn bring the rabbit in, give it Buck to carry about couple mins, and  when he got bit older, and .  he caught his 1st rabbit  he brought it in right to me, and he been the same ever since ,   it just seemed  natural in him.!!

Nice to see honesty and know that things are not all ways golden for every one. Very reassuring lol. If my dog catches a bolter and I don't get to him quick because I am sorting out the ferrets or what ever. He gets him self worked into a frenzy and I mean a frenzy. He will throw them in the air and shake the hell out of the long dead bunny. You would think he was dealing with some thing that could bite back. On the other hand lamped rabbits mean nothing and he is soft mouthed as hell and just pins them till i get there.

I put it down to the lack of day time action so its a big deal. I definitely picked the nutter out of the litter and he probably thinks the same :laugh:

But i wouldnt be with out him

23901810179_269b2d23cf_b.jpg

• Like 3
6 hours ago, nothernlite said:

Big bruce use to run away and Bury his catch  now everything is back to hand after a we bit work with him 

How you get him to do that mate. Mine buries them aswel ?. It don’t bother me too much as we not out ferreting and we don’t catch many anyway but it would be nice for him to bring one back one day ?. I put it down to him catching with other dogs around when younger and over protective of his catch as he has a very high prey drive. I never got him till he was 17  months so never got the puppy stage with him. He keeps me happy in other ways though so not too bothered

Went out ferreting with.him and just took some cooked meat got a rabbit threw it a couple feet he brought it back bit of meat and just continued doing that we bit further every throw now he brings everything to hand plus he was 2 when I managed to get him to retrieve

20171114_183434.jpg

Edited by nothernlite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting to read about Bruce. Fact is, I've known one or two lurchers like that, and even one that buried its catch, though I did, at the time, put it down to a lot of Saluki in the breeding. Saluki blood is always a good one to blame when things don't go according to plan LOL:p 

I also think that in some dogs, it takes a while, yes, up to 2 years, for their brains to mature to the stage where they see us as an essential ingredient in their hunting lives. In an ideal world we'd take a pup literally everywhere with us, no other dogs around to incite possessiveness or jealousy, but even then,  some things just don't pan out as we'd wish, in which case I firmly believe it has something to do with a lack of chemistry between us and the dog: not all relationships work, no matter how hard we try.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, skycat said:

Interesting to read about Bruce. Fact is, I've known one or two lurchers like that, and even one that buried its catch, though I did, at the time, put it down to a lot of Saluki in the breeding. Saluki blood is always a good one to blame when things don't go according to plan LOL:p 

I also think that in some dogs, it takes a while, yes, up to 2 years, for their brains to mature to the stage where they see us as an essential ingredient in their hunting lives. In an ideal world we'd take a pup literally everywhere with us, no other dogs around to incite possessiveness or jealousy, but even then,  some things just don't pan out as we'd wish, in which case I firmly believe it has something to do with a lack of chemistry between us and the dog: not all relationships work, no matter how hard we try.

true penny on lack of chemistry  between  dog and owner   , but being honest  here that deff can be brought on  with the dog not doing as the  owner wants. for example  you get a pup  that  you think the x  will suite you , bring the pup home , you got love for it , your family like it   etc, it grows up  not wanting to do any of your training , but you keep at it, as it s a pup  , weeks go to months  and like on this post  2 years. well a person  can only have so much  patients  with any dog, so that love can sooner or later turn to hatred  in the end   deff, i think it deff helps picking a type of dog  from a x that suits you , ive made that mistake  over the years picking certain  xs that dont suit my personality   .!!

39 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

What a dog lacks I one thing can.make up in.other things bird atb

yeh  thats  true :thumbs: , suppose if just hunting  rabbits, then retrieving   would be top of the list , but if deer and foxes   pre ban , maybe not so important   , but few times Buck   came out of woods with fox in his mouth, and brought it  right up to me , wagging his tail  , as if to say  look what ive found    Ha Ha  , but he is good retriever  anyway , better than old Bryn , and as said  never really pushed it with Buck , as i knew  he not just a rabbit dog .!!