Hi my new pup fin is a pet rather than working dog im looking for some advice i dont know if this is the right place. The question is how do you deal with your puppy having the zoomies..i only started walking fin yesterday (as hes only 16weeks and i got him at 10 weeks) and its only a 20 min walk because ive been told longer will be bad for his growing joints..yet he gets the zoomies not long after we get home and runs around like an idiot for ages..he just doesnt seem to tire mentally or physically..im not complaining this long legged bundle of rampage has already made himself my one true love lol i was just wondering (sorry it took so long to gt here) is there a way to tire them out..i know he wants to run..thats not an option till hes older tho..how do i curb that in the mean time he loves his toys but gets so overecxited with them..walkies seem to have no effect..hes just like "yeah mam weve had a wander..its still mental time" 

20171126_160441.jpg

Hello and welcome mate , walk it a bit more but it will still come back crash out wake up and be full of beans its a pup , you got a garden ? let it loose out there with a big knuckle bone or things to stimulate it and play with . You cant walk pups 24/7 but theres lots you can do to amuse them 

Has it got Saluki in it? If so, then they come with longer lasting batteries and a 20 minute walk just won't cut it for dogs like these. They also need to spend hours just playing about: throwing toys in the air, stalking birds down the garden, digging, racing up and down like mad things until they finally keel over and go to sleep for all of half an hour before they wake up and want to do it all over again. Also, decently bred working lurchers have been bred precisely for the reason that they have a much keener interest in life than many other breeds. So, take the dog on a 20 minute walk, but do it two or three times a day, making sure the pup has the chance to actually run around rather than being stuck on a lead. Lead walking is the pits for any pup: humans walk too slowly for all but the tiniest pup, so they are always champing at the bit and wanting to go faster. 

The only way you'll mess up the pup's joints is if you let it tear about with adult dogs that are racing about or working. On its own, the pup will stop running when it has had enough. Make sure you activate its mind too: brain work is just as exhausting as physical exercise, so give the pup problems to solve: food stuffed inside a toy, things to chew that exercise its jaws. Play with it, teach it fun things: like learning to lie down by crawling under chairs or your legs when you sit on the ground. Make everything you do with the pup great fun. Oh, and this stage will only last a couple of years LOL ... that is unless you have the pup castrated too young in which case it will always have that puppy attitude.

They sure are mad as pups and it is a great time to enjoy them

14491593949_cd2e015cc2_b.jpg

Once it gets bit older you can start to tire it out mentally with little bits of training and visiting different spots.

They soon associate different venues with different actions as I found out.  If you visit the samme spots night after night and let the dog go nuts there may come a time when you don't want it too. Then you have to change what you just let it do the last six months. I discouraged mine as he got older from pratting about in the house too. The house is for sleeping and eating and being quiet lol. I don't want this rubbish when I am trying to enjoy my daily dose of thl :laugh:

20870444262_23aa506676_b.jpg