army dogs put down

I don’t know how you do a 100% test on these dogs , they usually test with food to warrant a reaction but the same as any dog in a static mindset you may not get much response 

you will never know where you stand with a dog until energy levels are at boiling point which is about the only time you need real control 

dogs need a trigger to vent energy when excited , what that trigger might be is anyone’s guess 

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ll ask you one question  would you be happy living with your kids next door to a Belgian mallnois that’s been shifted around the country indeed the world , used by various levels of  handlers ,

Lol  where would you put them ?  Where are the homes for these dogs? 

Yep.......I have only ever re-homed 2 dogs. 1 to a stranger that luckily went well and the other to a bloke I’d trust with my life. Other than that I wouldn’t do it because I don’t think it’

2 hours ago, Greyman said:

Funny a guy I know has just re homed a large leaburger(spelling) ? It's nine years old and comes from Bosnia it's been an army dog then a guard dog but now lives a lovely life on a farm, comes to the pub and sits by the fire and is generally a lovely well rounded animal, I can't stand the attitude let's kill them all incase one goes wrong, all the bollacks about living by kids etc give them a chance it's like convicting someone incase they commit a crime, there are still a few people about that actually have a good relationship and knowledge of there dogs and there are just as many div,s about with a big dangerous mutt on a chain with very little control, I,d rather shoot the local div with his pit bull  than kill a good dog that just needs some love and understanding and a quiet place to see out its days, sorry 

1st, if its what i think you mean, its a  a = Leonberger    it  a german  breed, bred for  nice temps and family dogs, not guard dogs  , in fact   the breed  renowned  for good temp, and would do as you say  be good around  strangers .They nothling   like a gsd or Bel mal in temp , prob a gsd  bit more  easy going than a Bel mal  . i know a bloke who was in the RAF  as dog handler   and  helped the cops  with regards what type  gsd or mals to use in the force . ive seen his gsds ans Bel mals he got, i  took Buck down to see him, he liked Buck  old him how good he was with people and dogs , and good at his job said his Temp was spot on  what you want in working dog, one that can switch it on and off, the gsds were similar  to Buck , but his  Bel mal  , who had done  work  protection  / sniffing  work, was  alot more hyper  temp. i think  with any  cop/ army dog  , yes they do deserve   a chance  of rehoming , but it got to go to a  person that knows how to handle these type of dogs , in the wrong hands just like apbt's   they are dangerous , a dog 70lb  and strong and agile like Bel mal , they do lot of damage very quick  , just hope these dogs if rehomed , go to the right type people .:yes:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bird said:

1st, if its what i think you mean, its a  a = Leonberger    it  a german  breed, bred for  nice temps and family dogs, not guard dogs  , in fact   the breed  renowned  for good temp, and would do as you say  be good around  strangers .They nothling   like a gsd or Bel mal in temp , prob a gsd  bit more  easy going than a Bel mal  . i know a bloke who was in the RAF  as dog handler   and  helped the cops  with regards what type  gsd or mals to use in the force . ive seen his gsds ans Bel mals he got, i  took Buck down to see him, he liked Buck  old him how good he was with people and dogs , and good at his job said his Temp was spot on  what you want in working dog, one that can switch it on and off, the gsds were similar  to Buck , but his  Bel mal  , who had done  work  protection  / sniffing  work, was  alot more hyper  temp. i think  with any  cop/ army dog  , yes they do deserve   a chance  of rehoming , but it got to go to a  person that knows how to handle these type of dogs , in the wrong hands just like apbt's   they are dangerous , a dog 70lb  and strong and agile like Bel mal , they do lot of damage very quick  , just hope these dogs if rehomed , go to the right type people .:yes:

1 hour ago, bird said:

Theres an old lady round here who walks 2 leonbergers from one of those disabled scooters ffs

Cheers, D.

On 02/12/2017 at 15:25, gnipper said:

And then when they'e too old for that type of work?

Retire them to their handler, if the handler has not got the time or space for the dog then fair enough put the dog to sleep.

Lets not get side tracked here, HANDLERS have come forward offering these dogs homes not joe public, so whats the problem these handlers have trained and handled the dogs what better home could provided for these dogs?

For ever who it was who said, " Would you like to your kids living next door to these trained dogs" where do you think police dog handlers live with their dogs, on a farm or estate house with no neighbours? No in built up areas with famillies living near by. You want to worry about dogs, worry about the dogs owned by idiots in every town and city estate across the country, I know which one I would be more worried about.

ATB............Del

• Like 2

The difference is one is attack trained and most of the dogs with wankers are loud and aggressive through lack of work

the attack dog has mapped humanoid under its prey making activities , in other words grabbing and shaking a human becomes how it offloads energy when stimulation reaches boiling point , 

look up Jessie smith, professional dog trainer level headed guy who was working with Alpha dogs Indiana when I met him first, he lost his step son to a trained dog 

I can’t see how the risk is worth it, 

On 12/3/2017 at 11:24, Greyman said:

Funny a guy I know has just re homed a large leaburger(spelling) ? It's nine years old and comes from Bosnia it's been an army dog then a guard dog but now lives a lovely life on a farm, comes to the pub and sits by the fire and is generally a lovely well rounded animal, I can't stand the attitude let's kill them all incase one goes wrong, all the bollacks about living by kids etc give them a chance it's like convicting someone incase they commit a crime, there are still a few people about that actually have a good relationship and knowledge of there dogs and there are just as many div,s about with a big dangerous mutt on a chain with very little control, I,d rather shoot the local div with his pit bull  than kill a good dog that just needs some love and understanding and a quiet place to see out its days, sorry 

It’s a dog mate, not Nelson f***ing Mandela.....blow its canister off and you eliminate all possibility of anything going wrong.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

Out of curiosity how many dog men here cull unwanted animals?

Yep.......I have only ever re-homed 2 dogs.

1 to a stranger that luckily went well and the other to a bloke I’d trust with my life.

Other than that I wouldn’t do it because I don’t think it’s fair, a dog forms a bond.....I think you have to take responsibility for that to the end.

My last lurcher had to go, I f***ing loved the animal.....he was my pal, but he wasn’t stock broken and a situation developed that wouldn’t have been fair to the dog or us.

That dog only liked me, how am I going to torture the animal by putting him with a complete stranger?.......so I took responsability.

It broke me to do it but it was the right thing to do.

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, WILF said:

It’s a dog mate, not Nelson f***ing Mandela.....blow its canister off and you eliminate all possibility of anything going wrong.

I used to do volunteering at a dog rescue centre, (until I realised it was all a con, but that's a different story. ) To my point....... somebody brought in a  huge black GSD, a cracking looking specimen. The owner gave a lot of excuses and sob stories about why he was getting rid. The truth was that it was a nut job. It could be fine with some people but then go into hyper -aggressive mode with others. There was no logic as to why it would flip. Anyway the first time it flipped I said the dog should be put down, but they persisted, recklessly, to re-home it three times. It came back with the same story each time, a cracking dog until somebody spooked it, and then it was like Cujo. So I agree, if there's a chance a dog will attack, put it down.A couple of bites can scar a kid for life, and a large dog could potentially kill .

Incidentally, the dogs which spent least time in the centre were those with three legs. They would fly out of the door. (Not literally lol) People love to say they've re-homed a dog from a rescue centre, and a three legged dog, wow that's a thousand conversations and  countless brownie points for ever.:thumbs:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, jukel123 said:

I used to do volunteering at a dog rescue centre, (until I realised it was all a con, but that's a different story. ) To my point....... somebody brought in a  huge black GSD, a cracking looking specimen. The owner gave a lot of excuses and sob stories about why he was getting rid. The truth was that it was a nut job. It could be fine with some people but then go into hyper -aggressive mode with others. There was no logic as to why it would flip. Anyway the first time it flipped I said the dog should be put down, but they persisted, recklessly, to re-home it three times. It came back with the same story each time, a cracking dog until somebody spooked it, and then it was like Cujo. So I agree, if there's a chance a dog will attack, put it down.A couple of bites can scar a kid for life, and a large dog could potentially kill .

Incidentally, the dogs which spent least time in the centre were those with three legs. They would fly out of the door. (Not literally lol) People love to say they've re-homed a dog from a rescue centre, and a three legged dog, wow that's a thousand conversations and  countless brownie points for ever.:thumbs:

Problem solved.................every dog that comes in, cut one of its legs off, everyones a winner :laugh::laugh:

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, delswal said:

Problem solved.................every dog that comes in, cut one of its legs off, everyones a winner :laugh::laugh:

I can see opportunities here. Anybody got contact details for Korean restaurants and/or a good chain saw supplier? 'Leg of British dog' could be a big earner.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, jukel123 said:

true a child got no chance , if a dog went for it, you watch any average  size dog  say collie , spaniel , chew on a good size  beef bone  , they crunch them up easy, all dogs have strong jaws , that do damage  to us never mind a child . i gave my 2 dogs  1/2  a marrow  beef  bone  each  sat, i thought that stop  that big fecker Buck  chewing up his kennel like does :censored:   , so i watched him for few mins, bloody hell  he crunched  right into the knuckle end   easy  with  couple bites , got hell of a bite on him, these  Bel mals be similar  jaw , as said earlier    just hope they go to the right people   who under stand working type dogs ,  as in the wrong hands  they be dangerous  dog .