Show your guns

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An old lady from '62 (Gebruder Merkel Suhl, 16/70) used for almost anything from quail to wild boar  My favorite rifle for stalking deer/chamois - a Brno 22f from '49, 7x57 The m

A couple of pics of my Mossberg 500 8 shot on pt1 showing the safety catch slide that I made from steel when the nylon one broke across the screw hole.  I have posted this pic for the benefit of Wombl

Posted Images

These seem to have loaded OK this time.  the scope drops off and on in seconds and makes it so small and light that you could almost use it like a shotgun if you were standing forward on a drive. one thing with the stutzen is that you couldn't fit a silencer to it with the free floating muzzle cap. I fitted silver reflective tape to the spare mags so that if I drop one it can be found by lamp from two fields away.  It is difficult to get a good picture of the candy twist effect of the hammered barrel  but it looks really nice.  I found a loading using 70 Speer that will take the center out of a coke bottle lid at 70 paces

DSCN7752.JPG

DSCN7759.JPG

DSCN7760.JPG

DSCN7754.JPG

DSCN7761.JPG

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Meece said:

Ps  there is no side windage on the Hensoldt.  There is only vertical adjustment.  is the side windage done on the base mount?

Yes. And is not so easy to do, usually tis should be done by a gunsmith.

Actually, the biggest problem with this kind of weapon is to find the proper mounts for the weapon, not for the scope. I think that the scope is similar with the one that I have  mounted on Steyr (check the pictures)

One that site, from time to time, one could find all kind of 'exotic' mounts for old systems (this is an auction that I missed http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=6859563#img)

P.S. why would you need a silencer for?

Edited by biriuck

Blimey that is a fair selection of mounts. There is one minor problem with that site, ... it is all in German or something.  The English don't do foreign languages very well.  We tended to conquer other countries, kill the men, see to the women, and get them to speak English.  France is only 20 odd miles away but it might well be on Mars or somewhere. we should have done it to the french several times but it was too much bother and they were drunk on red wine and stunk of Garlic.

Yes I did notice that feature but it wasn't much help because a lot of the content isn't  translated into English and I don't know what to type in to search for.  those sort of mounts aren't common in the UK.

Nearly every rifle shooter in the UK uses a silencer/ moderator.  Years ago they weren't available for anything other than the 22rf because hardly anyone shot larger caliber centrefire rifles on fox. (fox hunting was for the hunt on horse to hound) When hunting with dogs was banned rifle shooting took off and silencers did become available. The authorities dragged their feet and didn't like allowing them for some random reason. but suddenly this changed and they were freely issued on ticket.  I still don't understand why a silencer is on ticket at all. after all it isn't a weapon and you cant do anything else with it other than throw it at something.  we use silencers to help protect the shooters hearing and because the UK is a built up country the noise from shooting near houses offends and frightens some people so it is helpful to be a bit clandestine as to what you are doing and you don't end up going deaf quite so easily if you shoot something like a 22.250

Edited by Meece
  • 2 weeks later...

Is that calibre common out in Romania ? I just looked on guntrader and there isn't a single rifle in that cal for sale on there. There are 10 different  6.5 calls for sale and not one of them is the 6.5x45 size. So is that ammo a special order or is it common on the shelf of the gun shops out there.

https://www.guntrader.uk/mobile/gunSearch?1&fetch=Calibre&Filter[NewType][Rifle]=1&Filter[NewMechanism][Bolt Action]=1

No, is not common. It was included in the gun price from the previous owner.

Probably, I will send a custom command to Austria (or maybe RWS will start producing it again - they have a poll on their  site for this).  Reloading is not possible in Romania (stupid law!!)

Anyway, since this will be used only at roe deer stalking, I have enough for ~15-20 years

Edited by biriuck
2 hours ago, biriuck said:

Reloading is not possible in Romania (stupid law!!)

Another example of stupid nonsensical rules which are rubbish. Every country seems to invent a load of nonsense. If I were out there I would obtain or make the stuff to reload and just do it. No one would know. Still if you have got enough ammo to last a long time you dont really need to reload .

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Meece said:

If I were out there I would obtain or make the stuff to reload and just do it. No one would know. 

Yes, this is an option but the penalty if you are caught is too big. If you have one single primer you are some sort of a terrorist now (I wonder how many hunters used that for doing terrorist acts).

I remember that when I was still a kid (not long time ago) , my father used to reload cartridges because he did not trust  the factory slugs for dangerous game. It was more like a ritual for him and I was fascinated to assist

• Like 1
On 10/05/2018 at 09:29, biriuck said:

Yes, this is an option but the penalty if you are caught is too big. If you have one single primer you are some sort of a terrorist now (I wonder how many hunters used that for doing terrorist acts).

I remember that when I was still a kid (not long time ago) , my father used to reload cartridges because he did not trust  the factory slugs for dangerous game. It was more like a ritual for him and I was fascinated to assist

Perhaps you could start a movement and campaign to get the stupid rules changed. Still if it is like this country they won't listen to you. Sometimes it does work though.

Edited by Meece
3 hours ago, Meece said:

Perhaps you could start a movement and campaign to get the stupid rules changed. Still if it is like this country they won't listen to you. Sometimes it does work though.

? now that was funny ?

On 10/05/2018 at 09:29, biriuck said:

A primer? Even a live round doesn’t pose much danger on its own, without a gun to fire it from. You could throw it at someone I suppose.....

On 13/05/2018 at 12:25, Rimfireboy! said:

A primer? Even a live round doesn’t pose much danger on its own, without a gun to fire it from. You could throw it at someone I suppose.....

Yes, a primer. Their argument was that this could be used to ignite an explosive device. Soooo stupid! If a licensed hunter could use a primer for an explosive device then he could easily obtain some from a factory made cartridge ;) Also, the power of artificial fertilizers is already proven for the crazy people that will want to build a bomb. 

• Like 2