Is This The New Stoat Trap?

16 minutes ago, SNAP-SHOT said:

Unfortunately a stronger fenn won't be used as a replacement as the whole issue they have is that the trap strikes from below the stoat, leaving the risk that a leg capture may occur. Any of the replacements will have to strike from above to rectify this. But by the looks of it any replacement looks as though they'll need to be in a self contained shell, so they won't be as versatile as a fenn.

Hmmm, yes I noticed the trend. That's why this new trap reminded me of the Doc. I have used the Doc, and it certainly is a very humane trap.  Whatever steps on that plate is dead. That box though, with its baffles, ain't exactly enticing is it. Takes the good outa the trap IMO.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe, the MK4 will put on enough muscle,... to effect a stay of execution

You are correct Eddie,...times are a' changing... What we did do, and what we had best be seen to be doing now, is destined to become the order of the day... This fecking Stoat thing is ridi

You may be right about the centre baffle and grey squirrel, although perhaps that could be modified. If the aim of the baffle is just to slow down a fast moving stoat so that the strike bar hits it th

Back in the day,...I owned a trap that I've always thought could have been modified, improved upon and would be, in my opinion,..just the job for Stoats :yes:

This was the Fuller Squirrel Trap...

For me, the ideal trap for small ground vermin, to take us forward into the future, will of necessity need to specifically target the head/neck of the critter...

I've scant practical skills to design or construct one, but I bet someone out there has...:thumbs:

• Like 2

I agree, I've seen some plans for a trap that has similar dimensions to a current fenn that looks much more appealing. But I believe they were having difficulty passing it without being used in a designated wood box. Which instantly takes away from it's versatility again. 

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 19:41, Phil Lloyd said:

Back in the day,...I owned a trap that I've always thought could have been modified, improved upon and would be, in my opinion,..just the job for Stoats :yes:

This was the Fuller Squirrel Trap...

:thumbs:

Brilliant trap, and you are right, it has potential for development. But I think the reason it ended manufacture was it was too well made and too complex compared to many other traps, especially the Fenns, making it expensive. The closest current production trap in terms of concept is the Kania, and it isn't cheap either and has that annoying handle sticking out the side of it. The Fuller was a superb design IMO, perhaps in this new trapping climate there may be a place for a newly manufactured Fuller.

Edited by randombadger
clarify quoted text
  • Like 2
On 06/12/2017 at 22:50, Phil Lloyd said:

You are correct Eddie,...times are a' changing...

What we did do, and what we had best be seen to be doing now, is destined to become the order of the day...

This fecking Stoat thing is ridiculous,...quite how it all got to this I'll never know :blink:

Hopefully, as stated earlier,..the Fenn will remain,..put on some muscle, hit a bit harder, then maybe we can all go back to how things were...

If not,..a viable economic solution will have to be found,..however, same as when the Gin was banned and the Fenn came in,.they old Keepers ain't gonna like it.:laugh:

i still cant get my head around the fact that modern day legholds with the offset bars and rubber and spring swivels are banned but snares can be set by pretty much anyone in england at least. i know it doesnt mean much but i would rather be caught in a leg hold than a snare if i was mr. fox

same goes for the fenns and any other snippet of hunting/trapping there is as soon as someone wants to ban something the bandwagon shows up but when the bus comes with people against it no one dares to get on (anyone with any say in the matter anyway).

On 11/12/2017 at 11:24, Phil Lloyd said:

I do hope so...

Manufacturing has moved on somewhat since the earlier days,.. I'm sure some canny engineer could work something out.

Mind you, it has got to be a financially viable product from the outset:thumbs:

Im no sure its all about a swift clean kill to your prey any more though  the last two new traps seem to retail about £40 each a scary thought  to loose a few or be damaged  beyond use . and theres no price on the new one but it will only be sold by the pallet load ? Is it aimed only for use on the big pheasant estates ?.

2 hours ago, The one said:

Im no sure its all about a swift clean kill to your prey any more though  the last two new traps seem to retail about £40 each a scary thought  to loose a few or be damaged  beyond use . and theres no price on the new one but it will only be sold by the pallet load ? Is it aimed only for use on the big pheasant estates ?.

Well I think it's pallet load from the man who invented it. It will be available from online trapping supply stores at some stage, but nothing official as of yet.