Extinct animals

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its all swings and roundabouts, Collard doves spread from India and across Europe  in the 30's and were unknown in the UK prior to the 50's now most think they were always here. Little Egrets  are now

Shame really. I for one will be gutted when the last of the big cats that roam our British countryside become extinct. Especially to the folk who see them regulary.  Maybe they can take some

I thought England always had a few Spoonbills ? A few years ago there was a Barred Kingfisher seen on the Irish west coast that must have been blown from North America on the gulf stream (it's no

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, neil cooney said:

Forward 50 years and what will be on that list ? Anglo Saxons ? Straight men?

Both will be diminished in number,hundred years time extinction will be looming,after that its lights out in the UK for Anglo.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, mackem said:

Right next to heathrow there's a small stream separating it from stanwell village,not uncommon to see egrets in there,seen them a few times and often see them in the general area,there's also a number of ponds in the area with healthy populations of marsh frogs.

I see egrets nye on daily

• Like 1

I remember taking my kids for a mooch when they were baby,s I was on the Somerset levels near gold corner pumping station and I saw a small flock of egrets in a field and remember telling my kids, it does not mean anything to you but take a good look at them as you will probably never see that again in England, roll forward 20 odd years and they are everywhere now, 

• Like 1

I enjoy seeing the Little Egret as IMO they compete with nothing. The fish they catch is too big for our Kingfisher and too small for our Herons. I watch them on a daily basis and seen six together this morning standing in field. I felt sorry for them. The Kingfisher is on the tiny streams catching Sticklebacks and the Heron is on the fields and ditches hunting rodents and such. The Egret relies on small fish in shallow water.

I like the returning Little Egret, I wish I could say the same about the Buzzard, as much as I love birds of prey.

I was having a mooch in Gloucestershire last year and came across a large fenced off area with more no entry, and keep out signs on the gate than seemed normal , so being a curious type I hopped over and had a look round never saw anything out of the ordinary,  a few days later sat in watching telly and on the news they were at a secret location breeding some kind of stork for reintroduction, well the secret location was the field I had been looking in a few days earlier so the following week I went back and sat in the hedge as it got dark and sure enough a flock of storks came flying in to roost making a massive racket, it was quite an impressive sight  and  hopefully another one brought back in the near future 

12 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

I can remember seeing an egret as a kid was a proper rarity, an made my day:)

There was one stood in crakehall beck yesterday mate......had to do a double take

• Like 1
13 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

I think they thriving down there mate,best a luck to them 

I think the biggest problem for them is they are ground nesting and a few of the chicks have been nailed by fox/badgers so there probably going to take longer to get established  unlike the ring necks which nest in holes and seem to be spreading like feck my mate had one on his bird feeders last summer in Gloucester 

11 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I think the biggest problem for them is they are ground nesting and a few of the chicks have been nailed by fox/badgers so there probably going to take longer to get established  unlike the ring necks which nest in holes and seem to be spreading like feck my mate had one on his bird feeders last summer in Gloucester 

The problem with them is they are like fukcing chickens ... tame as fukc and stupid as fukc .... we do the rabbit control around the breeding pens ... this one was about 3 foot away from me .....

IMG_0576.JPG

• Like 3

Thousands of ringnecked parakeets where I live,not unusual to see a hundred in a day,they nest in people's roofs and I have found  them nesting in tree holes,but they are an invasive species..post-1930-0-83195000-1497107114_thumb.jpgpost-1930-0-38260600-1474394764_thumb.jpeg