Extinct animals

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its all swings and roundabouts, Collard doves spread from India and across Europe  in the 30's and were unknown in the UK prior to the 50's now most think they were always here. Little Egrets  are now

Shame really. I for one will be gutted when the last of the big cats that roam our British countryside become extinct. Especially to the folk who see them regulary.  Maybe they can take some

I thought England always had a few Spoonbills ? A few years ago there was a Barred Kingfisher seen on the Irish west coast that must have been blown from North America on the gulf stream (it's no

Posted Images

Chef,s are one of the best tools to cull any species, the dodo big flightless and  tasted good plus totally unafraid of people, the giant tortoise, could be kept alive for months with little space food or water, most of the more famous ones went in simular circumstances before the invention of the refrigerator, in our times it's the insect species that are more at risk because of our Careless  uses of  insecticides, only when we go back to living with nature instead of trying to control it will our future be secure but times not on our side the way we are going 

• Like 1

The genetically pure Scottish Wilcat is teetering on the brink and it looks unlikely it'll be saved. 

I bought a couple of trail cams this year and fancy having a go at capturing footage of one next year. No idea how difficult that'll prove, but would love to capture a few decent images to pass down through the family.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

The genetically pure Scottish Wilcat is teetering on the brink and it looks unlikely it'll be saved. 

I bought a couple of trail cams this year and fancy having a go at capturing footage of one next year. No idea how difficult that'll prove, but would love to capture a few decent images to pass down through the family.

The same bloke that is involved in the Lynx reintroduction is also involved in a project to save them he has a few films on YouTube were he works with local farmers to sterilise the local feral cat populations, trouble with all cats is they can and do crossbreed with many different cat species, good news for the Scottish wildcat is its the same species that lives in many European country,s so we could bring in fresh blood if needed, goodluck with your camera trapping hope you get what your after  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Greyman said:

The same bloke that is involved in the Lynx reintroduction is also involved in a project to save them he has a few films on YouTube were he works with local farmers to sterilise the local feral cat populations, trouble with all cats is they can and do crossbreed with many different cat species, good news for the Scottish wildcat is its the same species that lives in many European country,s so we could bring in fresh blood if needed, goodluck with your camera trapping hope you get what your after  

Am I the only one that thinks the link will wipe them out as they are competing for small game?

50 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Am I the only one that thinks the link will wipe them out as they are competing for small game?

I,m assuming you meant Lynx, the biggest problem with the tree hugging types that seem involved in a lot of these projects is they are more interested in reintroduction than the environment they release them into, if there are enough prey species to keep an alpha preditor alive and well alls good, but when you release them to places that can't sustain them problems occur, many animals actually thrive because of each other,  like the water Vole has benefited from the spread of otters and red squirrels seem to have a strong allie in the pine Martin, so maybe the Lynx may turn out to be an asset to the wildcat, it's all about the bigger picture and getting the balance right than just turning out a crate full of animals that you have decided to reintroduce 

12 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I,m assuming you meant Lynx, the biggest problem with the tree hugging types that seem involved in a lot of these projects is they are more interested in reintroduction than the environment they release them into, if there are enough prey species to keep an alpha preditor alive and well alls good, but when you release them to places that can't sustain them problems occur, many animals actually thrive because of each other,  like the water Vole has benefited from the spread of otters and red squirrels seem to have a strong allie in the pine Martin, so maybe the Lynx may turn out to be an asset to the wildcat, it's all about the bigger picture and getting the balance right than just turning out a crate full of animals that you have decided to reintroduce 

Yeah meant lynx bloody iPhone!

2 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Yeah meant lynx bloody iPhone!

i would think it would work

bobcats live alongside cougars ok ,and lynx live alongside cougars ok so i would guess lynx and wildcats would be the same. ?

but proofs in the pudding i suppose

cheers Dan

• Like 1
On 30/12/2017 at 16:36, DanielG said:

i would think it would work

bobcats live alongside cougars ok ,and lynx live alongside cougars ok so i would guess lynx and wildcats would be the same. ?

but proofs in the pudding i suppose

cheers Dan

They already live alongside big cats so a few lynx won' be an issue ?

• Haha 1