Extinct animals

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 17:45, hollands hope said:

That one was sighted last year , 10 miles from where i live  but it returned to Germany were it was killed in a RTA , another 2 were sighted , one 10 miles from were i live  and the other 20 miles away both died in RTA , its reckoned that within 5 years time wolfs will be breeding again in  the Netherlands .

I'm not endorsing breaking the law or anything. But you might be happier without wolves roaming around.

I know we were.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its all swings and roundabouts, Collard doves spread from India and across Europe  in the 30's and were unknown in the UK prior to the 50's now most think they were always here. Little Egrets  are now

Shame really. I for one will be gutted when the last of the big cats that roam our British countryside become extinct. Especially to the folk who see them regulary.  Maybe they can take some

I thought England always had a few Spoonbills ? A few years ago there was a Barred Kingfisher seen on the Irish west coast that must have been blown from North America on the gulf stream (it's no

Posted Images

It seems from the original article that excepting beetles wasps and some butterflies, most extinctions occurred BC. Those surely are largely irrelevant being perhaps down to climate shift and early man/mega landscape change through natural process (e.g loss of ;Doggerland').

Its too convenient an argument for those ranged against shooting to quote many millenia of natural extinctions.  If anything it is perhaps a lesson for those parts of the world where change is still possible to conserve a rich natural flora and fauna.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, KES2 said:

It seems from the original article that excepting beetles wasps and some butterflies, most extinctions occurred BC. Those surely are largely irrelevant being perhaps down to climate shift and early man/mega landscape change through natural process (e.g loss of ;Doggerland').

Its too convenient an argument for those ranged against shooting to quote many millenia of natural extinctions.  If anything it is perhaps a lesson for those parts of the world where change is still possible to conserve a rich natural flora and fauna.

The spread of Sapiens has a pretty strong correlation to large fauna extirpation. Sapiens shows up on a new land, all the big shit gets killed.

Mammoths survived the end of the ice age in places where man had not yet colonised, then once man arrived they disappeared. Similar situation with Australia's large fauna. Don't ever let anyone tell you that our hunter-gatherer ancestors were some sort of environmental heroes in perfect balance with nature, LOL. Fact is nature doesn't like balance, not in the way most people think of it.

It wasn't until we became intelligent enough as a species to study our impact on nature that we developed conservation, which of course was the brainchild of sportsmen. As you say, the impact of modern sportsmen on conservation is not the problem, far from it in most cases.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 20-12-2017 at 05:18, Mickey Finn said:

I'm not endorsing breaking the law or anything. But you might be happier without wolves roaming around.

I know we were.

Don´t know about the wolves , but we could do with halve the population size , its a bit overcrowded just as we speak right now, but then again  am a bit of an antisocial type !

19 minutes ago, hollands hope said:

Don´t know about the wolves , but we could do with halve the population size , its a bit overcrowded just as we speak right now, but then again  am a bit of an antisocial type !

It's coming! The big question is what will replace us as the dominant species and will it take Jesus Christ as it's lord and saviour? :hmm:

25 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

It's coming! The big question is what will replace us as the dominant species and will it take Jesus Christ as it's lord and saviour? :hmm:

25 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Don´t know whats ahead of us Chris , but nature never invented the same blueprint again, it was always replaced by something  more adapted to the environment it lived in , but we as a species changed our own environ

ment , and not for the better i think.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, hollands hope said:

Don´t know whats ahead of us Chris , but nature never invented the same blueprint again, it was always replaced by something  more adapted to the environment it lived in , but we as a species changed our own environ

ment , and not for the better i think.

Robots . Some idiot has already created a robot that can fire a pistol . It's only a matter of time before skyet takes over 

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

Robots . Some idiot has already created a robot that can fire a pistol .  

Not exactly a robot,but I just like watching it,small wonder it got 34 million views,watch Charlene at the end ...

• Like 1

Its all swings and roundabouts, Collard doves spread from India and across Europe  in the 30's and were unknown in the UK prior to the 50's now most think they were always here. Little Egrets  are now common, cattle egrets, glossy Ibis and Cranes getting there and Bustards  along with Spoonbills not far behind, seeing a Buzzard would have been a real red letter day as a kid and now hardly noted. Mind the pelican was a bit of a turn up.DSC_0756.thumb.JPG.522b25b231b004506e789268769da2b0.JPGDSC_0852.thumb.JPG.8ef97dae9c30b7d21b7bdfd8e57fe602.JPGpelican.jpg.b8cd643099f07e8ac76315f26e81b20d.jpgpost-2025-0-65184900-1430839701_thumb.jpg

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 8
2 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Where was that sandy

Pelican on the river Taw near Braunton Burrows, it had been in Cornwall for a while before. The Ibis are in various places in the west, that one was on Fremington Pill, the Spoon bills again around the south west in the winter, those are on Isley Marsh.

http://www.northdevongazette.co.uk/news/pictures-rare-pelican-photographed-at-braunton-marshes-1-4721205

https://www.bbrc.org.uk/514

http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/RealData/Spoonbills_breed_in_Norfolk.asp

• Like 1

I thought England always had a few Spoonbills ?

A few years ago there was a Barred Kingfisher seen on the Irish west coast that must have been blown from North America on the gulf stream (it's not that uncommon for American species to be around Ireland's west coast) and it was in the national papers.

Myself and the wife stayed in Mayo for a few days shortly after and I got talking to a local in a pub one night and the conversation was about shooting and wildlife etc. and he mentioned the American kingfisher. He told me that there was over 100 bird watchers with their cameras , binoculars and notebooks lining the side of the road hoping for a glimpse of the bird. Then he mentioned that they were wasting their time and would never see the bird.

I asked him how did he know they'd never see the bird ? "Because it's in my freezer" he told me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4 December 2017 at 12:34, peterhunter86 said:

That looks a monster.

Just put the telly on and the film African queen 1951 is on channel 5, which is were it all started, allegedly, 70 years to go from exotic rarity to nuisance, pretty good going for an invader 

• Like 1