follow up

since changing my 4.5 mag photon xt for a 6x photon rt ive been struggling with ranging shots, not so much a problem round the farm but in the fields on the rabbits!

ive been thinking about a night time range finder for a while and id looked at these a few weeks back and after watching the link vm put up 

I thought fcuk it and ordered one!

the rt has a chunky picatinny rail and copes with the inbuilt ir well so no need to use the rail.. the ranger I ordered from custom rifle scopes comes supplied with a mount

and changeable bracket so it ticked the boxes:thumbs:

KVLzr7QsRRCMVAD5odco1A.thumb.jpg.978985d66e7493737de89868d9110c16.jpg

good solid bit of kit but its set up to be mounted on the top... adjuster mount bottom right!

no instructions how to change the mount but id got a good idea, only thing was the rail that mounts the picatinny was supper glued to the unit!! wtf :(

so I had to prize to off with a knife. 

after id re built the bracket to suit side fitting it wouldn't fit due to the shape of the photon:censored: so I set about trimming the mount

fullsizeoutput_2a4.thumb.jpeg.fc7fd73a4fdfcc55149ec529316a7959.jpeg

shaved a few mm off hear n there and it fitted a teat and is rock solid!

all fitted on and it looks pretty good:thumbs:

fullsizeoutput_29e.thumb.jpeg.b32ff60915cf88cd40f3c3b32bfce2dc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2a1.thumb.jpeg.041d445fe432ee263a5ae4ec962b2365.jpeg

by now it was dark outside so I turned the lights off and turned on the photon an zeroed it to the scope in seconds, really easy you just adjust the mounts till the flashing laser hits centre..

I checked it outside on chimneys and building that I know the distances to and its spot on, I need to shim the front screw on the finder as with it being offset it crosses over at range!

just need the weather to pick up now cos its crap outside and I wanted to get out on the rabbits tonight as me mail order mincer has arrived :laugh:

walshie asked if you can see the laser, so ive had it in a pitch black room and theres nothing shows up on the wall... but at about 5ft away you can see a purple flicker,

I amid it at a mirror....nothing like ir red and im sure no quarry will spot it!!

atb si 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, mattwhite said:

That setup should bag you a fair few bunnies Si. Looks mint on that rifle pal??

cheers matt...

I hope so, there have been a few rabbit sessions where ive just packed up and gone home cos I couldn't get the range right!

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, si brown said:

cheers matt...

I hope so, there have been a few rabbit sessions where ive just packed up and gone home cos I couldn't get the range right!

You and me both pal.

I got that fed up with the bloody nite site that I sold it and vowed never again but that looks a great bit of kit.

Come on mate, don't be mard, get out in the crap weather tonight, I can't wait for the wright up????

• Haha 1
33 minutes ago, mattwhite said:

You and me both pal.

I got that fed up with the bloody nite site that I sold it and vowed never again but that looks a great bit of kit.

Come on mate, don't be mard, get out in the crap weather tonight, I can't wait for the wright up????

pahh.... your kiddin matt, the place I need to go to is on the top of a cliff and its blowing a northerly off the sea :(

if you dont get on with screen nv's the photons are cheap enough for a punt, me and my mate get on fine with them...

42 rats on Monday night in an hour, we called it after that cos it was that cold I couldn't fill the mag back up:laugh:

• Like 2

Right Si, now you have one of these units, please tell me this......................................can you see the rangefinder flicker if you simply point it down your garden in daylight with the naked eye. If not, it wouldn't be seen through a day scope either which does make me wonder how it works as a day and night rangefinder.

Good talking earlier Si and thanks for the info mate.

Phil

• Like 1

You cant' see any flicker daytime on any rangefinder for example if you have a Hawke 600 you look through like a scope and put xhairs on target the ones si has bought has like old airgun open sights on top which you line up on target to use daytime and at night through nv you can see it flicker to find target like your nitesight one but with his it easyier to use with it having pigtail switch one push to turn on push again to set laser away and when on target press again for laser to stop to save battery look at screen and the distance is there hope this helps 

Edited by pav

The point I am making is that all this type of rangefinder cannot be set correctly for position on the gun without an NV unit. Mitch put up a post a couple of weeks ago saying good value for day / night and I agree they are, it is just that, I think day time shooting is still handled better with a Hawke 400 / 600 where at least you can be sure you are pointing at the quarry distance rather than 'somewhere in the area' situation.

Si as the Yukon is both day and night, it would be good to know if the flicker is seen through the yukon in daylight as it is a digital camera / screen or once set up at night so the mount is correct, does it work.

My thoughts are selfish as I am going to go the Yukon RT route at a later stage on my rimfire and may well put one of these units on the scope but only if it works in daylight through the Yukon otherwise I will stick to the NiteSite rangefinder (which is spot on) at night and Hawke in the daytime as I am a little unsure I would be able to rely on readings given in daylight if I could not see where it is pointing.

Just getting a game plan in my head for a later date.

Phil

59 minutes ago, philpot said:

The point I am making is that all this type of rangefinder cannot be set correctly for position on the gun without an NV unit. Mitch put up a post a couple of weeks ago saying good value for day / night and I agree they are, it is just that, I think day time shooting is still handled better with a Hawke 400 / 600 where at least you can be sure you are pointing at the quarry distance rather than 'somewhere in the area' situation.

Si as the Yukon is both day and night, it would be good to know if the flicker is seen through the yukon in daylight as it is a digital camera / screen or once set up at night so the mount is correct, does it work.

My thoughts are selfish as I am going to go the Yukon RT route at a later stage on my rimfire and may well put one of these units on the scope but only if it works in daylight through the Yukon otherwise I will stick to the NiteSite rangefinder (which is spot on) at night and Hawke in the daytime as I am a little unsure I would be able to rely on readings given in daylight if I could not see where it is pointing.

Just getting a game plan in my head for a later date.

Phil

I wouldn't be using it during the day Phil so I wasn't to bothered with daylight performance...

like pav said it'll work fine during the day, its just down to weather you have confidence in the sighting set up!

you cant physically see the flicker with the naked eye but ive just aimed it at a black board with no ir on and you can see the flicker through the scope,

as soon as you move onto something light it disappears... 

long and short answer... no :laugh:

atb si

When I had my photon I would range a tree at 75yd using a Lieca 1200 scan that I use , then using the rectical that is the centre dot with a gap line coming up vertical , with a 50 yd  zero shoot every thing that came out , I would shoot of sticks and do static positions , I have a Pulsar 860 for scanning and it has a range finding mode with a T20 and the centre of the objective out very good , as I wear it on a cord you are still hands free .

Good going on the rats !

Cheers

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Outback 1 said:

When I had my photon I would range a tree at 75yd using a Lieca 1200 scan that I use , then using the rectical that is the centre dot with a gap line coming up vertical , with a 50 yd  zero shoot every thing that came out , I would shoot of sticks and do static positions , I have a Pulsar 860 for scanning and it has a range finding mode with a T20 and the centre of the objective out very good , as I wear it on a cord you are still hands free .

Good going on the rats !

Cheers

cheers outback....

could of been a lot more if it wasn't so cold.. we had two coffee/smoke breaks in that hour and took it in turns with a spotter...

not that you needed it really, they were all over the spot.. I looked down at one point and there was one sat about a foot away:bad:

the terriers had a crack at it last night to get the numbers down!

atb si