Shooting upwards precisely and hold under.

One or three members have asked me about hold under and hold over when shooting static elevated shots when I`m after the likes of wood pigeons.

I know lads use Chair gun and some use range finders with an " incline" function - not for me lads, that`s way to techno` for me :duh::no:.

I like things simple and easy.

Hold under is required to shoot upwards AND downwards, angles, distances velocity are all part of the calculations - I`m lost already :blink:.

Here`s what I do.

IMG_0792.JPG.e027dcd6a953c1bfc60117a04be3ffad.JPG

Most shots are taken at 9-10 pm angles - 20% to 40%.

I take a mark on the centre of the tree at the height I expect to get presentations and shoot at it.

I then make any vertical adjustments to my scope to make my set up " shot specific"

Do the same to the left and right sides of the tree, ( shooting a mark) and any difference is minimal but do make note of half mill dot upwards for left or right hand wind allowance if any.

Well that`s the rocket science I have used for years and years lads and it works a treat. " Shot Specific".

" Gets me the occasional pigeon or two"  :whistling:

IMG_0812.JPG.0a23f3de520d783909b9f9206ea78ab2.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG.a85dec5c4b21623cdfb272455250bd44.JPG

atb  Mark

• Like 6

In tech terms I think its the centre of scope to centre of bore hight i.e 1.77" or 4.5 cm and your first zero point i.e 14yds there after every 14 yds the pellet will drop this amount 1,77"/ 4,5 cm after so many degree's of inclination .

The other thing is the distance to the base of the tree is the range not the distance to the bird in the tree is all to do with the angles of a triangle .

Was it some Greek guy that figured it .

"I then make any vertical adjustments to my scope to make my set up " shot specific"

Do the same to the left and right sides of the tree, ( shooting a mark) and any difference is minimal but do make note of half mill dot upwards for left or right hand wind allowance if any."

So you essentially re-zero every time then? With no hold under or over at all :D 

Proper sniper clicks that Marko... :) Dialling in on them pijjjies you. You'll be writing for Air Gunner next.

• Haha 3
18 minutes ago, Rez said:

"I then make any vertical adjustments to my scope to make my set up " shot specific"

Do the same to the left and right sides of the tree, ( shooting a mark) and any difference is minimal but do make note of half mill dot upwards for left or right hand wind allowance if any."

So you essentially re-zero every time then? With no hold under or over at all :D 

Proper sniper clicks that Marko... :) Dialling in on them pijjjies you. You'll be writing for Air Gunner next.

WELL THAT'S ME CANCELING MY SUBSCRIPTION:bye::laugh:

ATVBJIMMY:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Haha 3

That's far too much science for one evening thank you very much?

My method is about as scientific as your pal. If it's over a 45° (roughly) angle upwards at my zero, I give 1/4 mil dot holdunder at 9x mag and almost bugger all on 4x mag and just add more holdunder the steeper the angle?

• Like 1