Brexit Thread Redux

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I genuinely think it’s more simple than that mate, almost to a man none of them want to leave this massive and very lucrative club for people just like themselves and they have found the way to f**k o

All this could have been avoided, if the EU had had the brains to throw that prick Cameron a bone when he was asking for a different deal for the UK, there never would have been a referendum. The

I had a conversation in the week with a bloke I do business with. He phones up sounding like he is going to be shot at dawn and tells me that another associate has taken over a dealership so now

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, WILF said:

I have been travelling to Ireland since 1994, I used to get the boat to Dun Logaire and drive up to Bangor.

I can honestly say I drove across that border loads of time and never got stopped or even seen any security once.

People used to pop across and do their shopping and had been doing that for years.

And all that was possible because the UK and Ireland were both in the Customs Union and Single Market. When that changes unless some kind of deal is reached there will need to be customs checks or the Irish border is an open door to the EU...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stealthy1 said:

Like there was ever going to be a soft border for Ireland. :laugh:    How can you leave the door open to Europe through Ireland when we leave? 

Southern Ireland was always known as a conduit for illegals into the UK,even quasi legal ways such as the surinder singh route have often used Ireland as a back door.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JohnGalway said:

Load of waffle Wilf, brexit isn't a topic of conversation outside of on the telly here.

Customs will require customs points, if you don't think that they will become targets the I suggest you don't know this island very well.

I'm a farmer and I'm not worried about the UK's exit from the EU. It's a plus as UK governments were never supportive of agriculture within the EU.

We do most of our trade with the EU, then the USA, then the UK.

Varadkar is doing the right thing by this country. The problem is the imperial little Englanders getting a dose of indigestion at having to deal with Ireland as an equal, which is entirely amusing in itself :rofl:

Brexit was indeed a massive topic of conversation mate but it's all died off now as folk take more of an interest in just cracking on.

Do you think people want a return to the former unpleasantness ?.......I don’t, I don’t think there is any flavour for that at all.

The gun and Irish politics won’t be easy bedmates ever again......people have moved on.

As I said, I wasn’t being a prick but tell the truth mate......the whole country is helping itself to farm payments of some description right, left and centre so in that respect I am spot on and you know it.

People in England don’t even give ireland a second thought......it could be outer mongolier for all your average Englishman knows about it so “having to deal with Ireland as an equal” won’t even come it to as metaphorically speaking they have never heard of you.

I love Ireland, I love living here and I live the vibe and there is a hell of a lot the UK could learn from how people crack on here.......but dealing with big things on a world stage isn’t one of them mate.

1 minute ago, mackem said:

Southern Ireland was always known as a conduit for illegals into the UK,even quasi legal ways such as the surinder singh route have often used Ireland as a back door.

Then we can use the same back door to dump the illegals back in Europe, save on plane fares.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, WILF said:

Brexit was indeed a massive topic of conversation mate but it's all died off now as folk take more of an interest in just cracking on.

Do you think people want a return to the former unpleasantness ?.......I don’t, I don’t think there is any flavour for that at all.

The gun and Irish politics won’t be easy bedmates ever again......people have moved on.

As I said, I wasn’t being a prick but tell the truth mate......the whole country is helping itself to farm payments of some description right, left and centre so in that respect I am spot on and you know it.

People in England don’t even give ireland a second thought......it could be outer mongolier for all your average Englishman knows about it so “having to deal with Ireland as an equal” won’t even come it to as metaphorically speaking they have never heard of you.

I love Ireland, I love living here and I live the vibe and there is a hell of a lot the UK could learn from how people crack on here.......but dealing with big things on a world stage isn’t one of them mate.

If or when border posts appear, so too will people who want to make them disappear. There will always be people like that. 

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/brexit/terror-attacks-in-northern-ireland-will-rise-in-wake-of-brexit-says-expsni-chief-orde-36365678.html

On farm payments, the UK only represents something like 10% of that. No big deal. Redistribution within the system in Ireland and within the EU as a whole are much higher priorities for me. Brexit doesn't even figure into my thinking re farm payments.

I absolutely agree about England not knowing or caring on whit about Ireland, either the Republic of the North East of Ulster.

I don't agree that we shouldn't represent or stand up for our own interests though. The brexit people are too busy navel gazing while the rest of us want to get on with events.

• Like 1

When I jump off at little Knock airport I have to show my passport, when I get on a ferry I have to show my paperwork......I mean come on, it not a massive leap to do a couple of checks.

Folk are talking like it’s going to be machine gun towers and barbed wire......just shut up and make it work.

The mainland ports are going to be easy to Police, it’d Varadkar wants to allow people in willy nilly and it’s going to effect his countries trade with the UK that is really a conversation he should be having with his masters in brussells not with the UK.

1 minute ago, WILF said:

When I jump off at little Knock airport I have to show my passport, when I get on a ferry I have to show my paperwork......I mean come on, it not a massive leap to do a couple of checks.

Folk are talking like it’s going to be machine gun towers and barbed wire......just shut up and make it work.

The mainland ports are going to be easy to Police, it’d Varadkar wants to allow people in willy nilly and it’s going to effect his countries trade with the UK that is really a conversation he should be having with his masters in brussells not with the UK.

Nope, just yourself saying that :)

Checks will require customs check points. Again, it's been asked to show where these seamless borders are, no answer to that questions demonstrates they don't exist.

One of the main points is that regulations be the same either side of the border, to maintain standards. 

I'm quite pleased with Varadkar sticking to his guns, Tusks affirmation that a deal that isn't suitable for Ireland is a deal that isn't suitable for the EU gives us a defacto veto.

That should sent the little englanders in the Tory right wing into fits :rofl:

2 minutes ago, JohnGalway said:

If or when border posts appear, so too will people who want to make them disappear. There will always be people like that. 

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/brexit/terror-attacks-in-northern-ireland-will-rise-in-wake-of-brexit-says-expsni-chief-orde-36365678.html

On farm payments, the UK only represents something like 10% of that. No big deal. Redistribution within the system in Ireland and within the EU as a whole are much higher priorities for me. Brexit doesn't even figure into my thinking re farm payments.

I absolutely agree about England not knowing or caring on whit about Ireland, either the Republic of the North East of Ulster.

I don't agree that we shouldn't represent or stand up for our own interests though. The brexit people are too busy navel gazing while the rest of us want to get on with events.

John, do you really beleive any of that “this could happen, that could happen” type news any more mate?

Brits like me see it for what it is, bullshit.

We have been getting fed it so long it’s meaningless pal.

The last thing any of this big talk in Westminster or Brussells (Dublin sub Office) is about is you or me......it will be about f***ing over the demorcratic voice of the UK people, that’s it and that’s all.

1 minute ago, WILF said:

John, do you really beleive any of that “this could happen, that could happen” type news any more mate?

Brits like me see it for what it is, bullshit.

We have been getting fed it so long it’s meaningless pal.

The last thing any of this big talk in Westminster or Brussells (Dublin sub Office) is about is you or me......it will be about f***ing over the demorcratic voice of the UK people, that’s it and that’s all.

I believe what Orde says is possible, yes. Actually probable. Wait and see, should border posts be constructed.

Brexit is Britains problem.

1 minute ago, JohnGalway said:

Nope, just yourself saying that :)

Checks will require customs check points. Again, it's been asked to show where these seamless borders are, no answer to that questions demonstrates they don't exist.

One of the main points is that regulations be the same either side of the border, to maintain standards. 

I'm quite pleased with Varadkar sticking to his guns, Tusks affirmation that a deal that isn't suitable for Ireland is a deal that isn't suitable for the EU gives us a defacto veto.

That should sent the little englanders in the Tory right wing into fits :rofl:

Mate, if this is the game we are playing then I’ll say this, we all saw for ourself what a massive power Ireland was when they voted “No” in the Lisburn Treaty (or whatever the f**k they were calling it then) and were promptly told to shut the f**k up and vote again, this time the way they were instructed.

Brilliant display and one I’m sure everyone will be spouting off proudly about for the next 900 years :sorry:

• Like 2

Wilf if you think that their isn't a shit load of people in Ireland that will see a hard border as a massive fcuking slap in the face and the road to a completely divided country again your badly mistaken. Maybe your accent has something to do with them not giving you there real opinion lol. 

2 minutes ago, WILF said:

Mate, if this is the game we are playing then I’ll say this, we all saw for ourself what a massive power Ireland was when they voted “No” in the Lisburn Treaty (or whatever the f**k they were calling it then) and were promptly told to shut the f**k up and vote again, this time the way they were instructed.

Brilliant display and one I’m sure everyone will be spouting off proudly about for the next 900 years :sorry:

I voted Yes (twice) to the Lisbon treaty, so not too bothered. There was a change in the wording after the first vote which necessitated a second vote as it was legally a different thing being proposed.

Doing anything else would have been undemocratic. Either way, no one was forced to change their vote, could have been no again, so I don't see the issue.

1 minute ago, WILF said:

I’ll say this, I don’t give a f**k if they shut the border totally......I’ll get on an aeroplane anyway and do business.

Thems that want to find a way.

Lol. BUT the brexiteers were ASKED what the other way was and had no answer. Some sort of Star Trek technology that doesn't exist but everyone uses apparently.