Brexit Thread Redux

11 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Mate, we made a bold choice in a referendum and then had a very democratic general election to allow us to decide how we want brexit to go down. What did we do...... went straight back to same old party politics bullshit and forgot all about the referendum we had few months prior.

Agreed and even though the result was close it still stands. I'm sure we were expecting the continuing negotiations to have a little less enthusiasm but this is full on desertion!

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I genuinely think it’s more simple than that mate, almost to a man none of them want to leave this massive and very lucrative club for people just like themselves and they have found the way to f**k o

All this could have been avoided, if the EU had had the brains to throw that prick Cameron a bone when he was asking for a different deal for the UK, there never would have been a referendum. The

I had a conversation in the week with a bloke I do business with. He phones up sounding like he is going to be shot at dawn and tells me that another associate has taken over a dealership so now

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, BGD said:

The average bloke on the street just isn't that invested in leaving the EU, the vote was more about giving a black eye to the establishment for a huge amount of folk than anything to do with the EU. Once the vote was done and the establishment's eye was blackened that was job done in their minds, they've no interest in how negotiations are going or what the final deal looks like and won't care unless it start impacting on their daily lives.

That's the sad truth and frankly knowing what I do now I wonder if it was even worth bothering turning up on that Thursday.

34 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

America's economy is the largest in the world. They don't have to give a shit in trade talks. But then Obama's administration did back down on striking Assad when the UK Commons voted not to support him! Ballsy eh.

It appears Russia knew damn well NATO wouldn't do squat. Theyve suffered sanctions but the affects of the oil downturn has dwarfed those. Annexing crimea was bold but then Russia have never allowed themselves to become dependant in the way we have with the EU. Same with the US and China really.

China are a independent heavyweight like the US, I can't think of a situation where they have been at such a disadvantage as we are now.

Opium wars ;)

1 hour ago, ChrisJones said:

You're asking the wrong chap. I'm simply viewing this from the Eagle's Nest. I left Britain and sought asylum in the colonies sighting political persecution! :D

Wonder would Trump de dump let me in.......or maybe Trudeau, Jack the mortgage, woman the lot.....and go off grid.....

Global powers lobby to stop special Brexit deal for UK

Theresa May’s hopes of securing a unique post-Brexit trade deal with the EU were under threat on Saturday night as Brussels said it was coming under international pressure to deny Britain special treatment.

After a week that saw May reach a deal with the EUthat will allow Brexit talks to move forward on to future trade relations, EU officials insisted a bespoke deal more favourable to the UK than other non-EU nations was out of the question.

One EU source close to the talks said: “We have been approached by a number of [non-member] countries expressing concerns and making it clear that it would constitute a major problem for them if suddenly the UK were to get better terms than they get.”

The official said that once the UK is out of the single market and customs union in March 2019, there could be no replication of the terms of the current trading relationship, or anything close to it, and no special treatment.

“It is not just an indication of some strange rigid principle. It is because things won’t work,” he said.

“First and foremost we need to stick to this balance of rights and obligations, otherwise we will be undermining our own customs union and single market. Second, we cannot upset relations with other third countries,” the official said.

“If we were to give the UK a very lopsided deal, then the other partners with whom we have been engaging and who entered into balanced agreements would come back and question those agreements.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/09/global-powers-lobby-to-stop-special-brexit-deal-for-uk

The truth is nobody knew and still don't know what to do and what will or won't happen as a result and it's laughable listening to the intellectuals who give their, I'm just winging it answer but if it sounds sophisticated then they won't argue.??? The EU, the Irish and the UK haven't got a clue because nobody was in this position before or know what's ahead but I'm sure the THL massive will sort it. We have figured out the JFK murder. Who is the best heavyweight, mass. immigration policies, the premier league players commitment  and how to make a knife out of a door hinge or make an air rifle superior to a .22    The sun will still rise in the morning

• Haha 2
15 hours ago, jiggy said:

I think that reporter has a point, I do think there was a certain amount of grandstanding by Varadkar.

Seeing him stood up there with Junker or whoever it was was as cringeworthy as when Blair used to stand next to Bush on those podiums looking like a pet dog.

And I definitely think there was more than a little bit of “giving the UK one in the eye” for old times sake.