Brexit Thread Redux

6 minutes ago, kanny said:

Swap for 5 litres of pure salmon oil and we have a deal 

Superb! 5.56 or 7.62? :D

3 minutes ago, BGD said:

I think it's another symptom of just how relatively good we have it these days despite the complaints we all have, folk who say it couldn't get any worse should look back in time at just how bad things can really be!

Absolutely but we're a couple of generations away from those that actually had to fight for their liberty. At the very least we should be looking backwards in order to not repeat those mistakes as we move forward, the time will pass anyway.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I genuinely think it’s more simple than that mate, almost to a man none of them want to leave this massive and very lucrative club for people just like themselves and they have found the way to f**k o

All this could have been avoided, if the EU had had the brains to throw that prick Cameron a bone when he was asking for a different deal for the UK, there never would have been a referendum. The

I had a conversation in the week with a bloke I do business with. He phones up sounding like he is going to be shot at dawn and tells me that another associate has taken over a dealership so now

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, BGD said:

I think it's another symptom of just how relatively good we have it these days despite the complaints we all have, folk who say it couldn't get any worse should look back in time at just how bad things can really be!

Try being a bit more positive Dave 

Just now, kanny said:

Try being a bit more positive Dave 

I'd say the folk saying things are so terrible we need to burn it all down and start again because things couldn't possible be worse than they are now are the ones who could do with being a bit more positive....

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BGD said:

I'd say the folk saying things are so terrible we need to burn it all down and start again because things couldn't possible be worse than they are now are the ones who could do with being a bit more positive....

You can't be positive about a already shit situation but you can be positive about a new potential. ..I'm the king of half full I should know lol 

70 odd years ago the whole world was involved in the biggest conflagration humanity had ever seen.........having to pay 4% trade tariff on your bottle of wine is hardly going to be Armageddon is it lads ! 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, WILF said:

Truth is, it’s going to be very difficult for net beneficiaries who live in a very low crime country with low immigration and very advantageous tax laws to agree with someone who is a net contributor in a high crime country, getting rinsed for every penny and who’s towns and cities have become unrecognisable.

They just won’t understand each other as myself and Johns chat on here clearly shows.

Ireland has seen real benefits from membership, the EUs own blurb says they were a basket case prior to it.

Ireland puts in €100 and get back €123 per head

UK puts in €100 and gets back €60 per head

of course them blokes are never going to agree.

Ireland is a contributor to the EU, not beneficiary. But sure let's not let facts get in the way of a good story :thumbs:

As I said, don't whinge, do something constructive about it.

3 minutes ago, WILF said:

70 odd years ago the whole world was involved in the biggest conflagration humanity had ever seen.........having to pay 4% trade tariff on your bottle of wine is hardly going to be Armageddon is it lads ! 

Again that's why I was asking what is the worst case and I should add realistic scenario?

4 minutes ago, kanny said:

You can't be positive about a already shit situation but you can be positive about a new potential. ..I'm the king of half full I should know lol 

What's positive or "glass half full" about saying things are so terrible now they couldn't possible get worse and the only way to fix them is to burn it all down and punish folk with a few years of suffering before starting again? :huh: Folk losing their jobs and homes and struggling to put food on the table is the medicine the country needs and the only way to fix things according to you, not much positive or optimistic about that really is there?

I'd say the positive, "glass half full" position to take is that things are bad and we should work towards making them better without the whole burning things down and suffering thing.

4 minutes ago, JohnGalway said:

Ireland is a contributor to the EU, not beneficiary. But sure let's not let facts get in the way of a good story :thumbs:

As I said, don't whinge, do something constructive about it.

You became a small net contributor for the first time ever in your history last year.......facts and all that ;)

2 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Again that's why I was asking what is the worst case and I should add realistic scenario?

That was my point mate, in the relatively small span of 70 years the world has recovered from the biggest global war ever.......in fact people were going about their normal daily business while it was going on and I think Britain was having a world fair by the 50s.

History absolutely proves that life will go on and things will just be OK.

1 minute ago, WILF said:

That was my point mate, in the relatively small span of 70 years the world has recovered from the biggest global war ever.......in fact people were going about their normal daily business while it was going on and I think Britain was having a world fair by the 50s.

Agreed my friend but could a joint EU effort to wreck Britains economy, out of spite come to fruition? While my inner optimist defers to 'it'll work out in the long run' I also look at the historical breakups of nations as a sign of caution. While I fully understand that this is financial rather than geographical I can see a collection of aggrieved parties that may have an axe to grind. Again we're looking at pure speculation but I'm also in agreement with BGD. It could indeed get worse but what could that entail?

6 minutes ago, WILF said:

Aye thanks to massive state intervention in many aspects of life during the war and the building of massive social programmes including the welfare state and the NHS after it.

Something tells me you wouldn't be too happy if that's what we end up with after this. Like I said earlier, be careful what you wish for ;)

4 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Agreed my friend but could a joint EU effort to wreck Britains economy, out of spite come to fruition? While my inner optimist defers to 'it'll work out in the long run' I also look at the historical breakups of nations as a sign of caution. While I fully understand that this is financial rather than geographical I can see a collection of aggrieved parties that may have an axe to grind. Again we're looking at pure speculation but I'm also in agreement with BGD. It could indeed get worse but what could that entail?

The worst case scenario is war if another country is purposely trying to damage another sovereign state.

However, I think the situation is Germany reeks of the pre war situation......and we all know what happened there.

So, war is obviously worst case.......nobody in there right mind wants that but seriously, if it ever came to that then who better than Great Britain to entertain them ;) 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Neobliviscaris1776 said:

Prediction

Britain and the USA Will remain strong partners and will continue as the Anglo American power with the intention of leading as global policy maker's, which will conclude with the very thing the EU is trying to do. Britain will officially leave the EU.

I'll agree with that with a slight change in terminology. Anglo American relations are good but the current administration doesn't have your back. Yet.

Just now, WILF said:

The worst case scenario is war if another country is purposely trying to damage another sovereign state.

However, I think the situation is Germany reeks of the pre war situation......and we all know what happened there.

So, war is obviously worst case.......nobody in there right mind wants that but seriously, if it ever came to that then who better than Great Britain to entertain them ;) 

Without doom-mongering I believe that a spiteful group of europhiles will try and scuttle Britain's economy. Purposely.

• Like 2