After The Floods.

Well flooding ain't the best thing in the world when it comes to mink trapping. In fact it can be a nightmare. But flooding don't last forever, and eventually the water subsides. I find this is often a good time to catch mink in numbers, when they begin to return to the rivers after abandoning ship.

Managed four mink this morning out of seven traps. And that's after a week or more checking empty traps.

I suppose the key factor here is to keep those traps working, no matter what the weather throws at you, so's not to miss an opportunity of a catch. Another thing to keep in mind, is to set all three teirs. Therefore, each level of the bank is covered.

20171127_072752.jpg

20171127_064639.jpg

Edited by EDDIE B
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, micky said:

Very good result Eddie,  i cannot seem to do anything right i keep getting traps that have been fired with nothing in them.

Hmmm! It must be something other than rabbits that's setting your traps off micky. If that's the case, well then no real harm. Frustrating, yes I'm sure.:censored: I have no experience with the Juby's, but look like they pretty much take care of themselves.

3 minutes ago, Bunny Digger said:

Great catch could not wish for anything better than that, Did you catch in that simple hole you enlarged  

Well these are different locations. Got three on one little river, and one in a tributary of said river, just down the road. Three were in Fenns used in dug out holes in the riverbank, and one was caught in a tube trap on the top bank, similar to the setup in my previous post. 

Nothing very complicated, and I use the same spots year after year.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Can you use terriers to hunt mink in the UK(legally).Sorry,a bit off subject.

Socks is a man of few words, lol. He's dead right of course but I'd add that it would be legal to use a couple of terriers to hunt up and flush mink to be shot and if necessary to find and kill a wounded mink. Something one day I'd like to have a go at myself.

You could also use as many terriers as you like to pursue rats and if a mink was accidentally nobbled then no law has been broken.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Socks is a man of few words, lol. He's dead right of course but I'd add that it would be legal to use a couple of terriers to hunt up and flush mink to be shot and if necessary to find and kill a wounded mink. Something one day I'd like to have a go at myself.

You could also use as many terriers as you like to pursue rats and if a mink was accidentally nobbled then no law has been broken.

But why can't you use terriers to hunt mink? And why is it ok to use them to hunt rats?

Just now, EDDIE B said:

But why can't you use terriers to hunt mink? And why is it ok to use them to hunt rats?

Because New Labour and Parliament said so, that's really all the sense there is in it. :thumbs: I was just commenting on the law, not my personal opinion on the ethics of it.

4 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Because New Labour and Parliament said so, that's really all the sense there is in it. :thumbs: I was just commenting on the law, not my personal opinion on the ethics of it.

O god I know that. Just wondering does the law actually state which species you can or can't hunt with dogs in the UK? I ain't done my homework on this, so somewhat confused. Rabbits and rats are ok, but anything else is a no no? I know digging fox's is aloud under certain conditions, but is that it?

22 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

O god I know that. Just wondering does the law actually state which species you can or can't hunt with dogs in the UK? I ain't done my homework on this, so somewhat confused. Rabbits and rats are ok, but anything else is a no no? I know digging fox's is aloud under certain conditions, but is that it?

Basically the Hunting Act bans all hunting of mammals with dogs but then goes on to allow certain exemptions.

In a nutshell

• up to two dogs to flush to gun
  • one 'soft' terrier to ground for bolting fox for the protection of ground nesting birds
  • unlimited number of dogs for actually hunting rats and rabbits
  • tracking wounded animals for humane dispatch
  • unlimited number of dogs for flushing to a bird of prey

I'm also pretty sure it states that hunting is defined as an intentional act, therefore if you are legally hunting under one of the exemptions but then your dog(s) 'accidentally' kill, for instance a fox or hare, it is not actually classed as hunting in law therefore not technically a criminal offence. I might be wrong on that though.

It's a ridiculous piece of legislation full of contradictions!